Have I been mis-sold my laptop by online company?

Wyrdsister
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5108 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a laptop from an online dealer in August 2009. It was a model that boasted a 5 hour battery life - I needed this because the laptop would eventually be used in my camper van which I travel and live in constantly for work purposes. I was called after placing my order to be advised the model I requested was out of stock but they could send me a 'slightly better' model - they insisted the spec was "equal to or better than" what I ordered in every case. So I accepted the replacement. Once I took to the roads, I found I rarely got more than 2 hours use of it just running maybe one or two basic applications. Now I have pored over various online reviews, I found that the laptop they sent never claimed to have more than 2-3 hours battery life so in my eyes it is NOT equivalent to what I ordered, and has proved unfit for my purposes for this reason. Also, it seems the 'better' replacement is routinely priced £40-50 cheaper than my requested model on just about every dealers' website - including their own! Do I have the right to a refund or exchange for something equal to my intended purchase?

Hello and Welcome,

I'll move your thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

This will be very difficult for you. Battery life estimate's are always wildly inaccurate I believe most are measured by how long it will stay on a bios screen. Your main problem here is that having the laptop since august 09 so its 9 months old. Most people would view that has accepting the item. I am not legally trained so maybe there is a legal loop hole to this :)

I simply didn't need to use the laptop on the battery until I started travelling - I think that is a reasonable excuse for not realising how the poor the battery performance is until now. I think if an employee of this company has told me I am getting a laptop "equal to or better" than what I ordered then that should apply to ALL it's components. The laptop I ordered had a 4800 maH battery, I have received one that runs of a 4400 maH battery and evidently it makes a substantial difference. Perhaps they will maybe just give me a better battery?? Though the machine will be returned as faulty anyway. Incidentally, the first email I sent them has gone ignored for a week now - I have re-sent it today.