• Tweets

• Morning dx and thank you for your message.   With regards to your comment about them not needing to produce the deed, the additional directions ordered by the judge included 'a copy of any assignment o the debt or agreement relied upon'  so that is why I thought that point was relevant?
    • Sorry for the long post but I don't want to miss out any relevant information: My wife bought a car from Trade Centre UK and have been having nothing but trouble with it. Unfortunately we paid of the finance used to buy the car as we weren't expecting this much trouble with the car as we we though we would have protection as buying from a dealer. We are wondering if we can still reject the vehicle since the finance plan has been paid off. Timeline is as follows: 13/12/2023 -15/12/2023 Bought car from Trade Centre UK for £10548 £2000 deposit paid on credit card on 13/12/2023 £8548 on finance from Moneybarn (arranged through Trade Centre UK). picked up car on 15/12/2023 Also bought lifetime warranty for £50/month 25/12/2023 Engine Management Light comes on. The AA called out and diagnosed the following error codes: P0133 - Lambda sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) Oxygen Sensor. Error Message : Slow reaction. Error sporadic P0135 - Lambda sensor heat. circ.(bank1,sensor1) Oxygen Sensor. Error Message : Component defective Due to it being Christmas took a few days to get through to them but they booked me in for 28/12/2023 to run their own diagnostics. 28/12/2023 Took car in to Trade Centre so could check the car – They agreed it was the Oxygen Sensor and Booked me in for repair on 30/01/2024. I was told they had no earlier slots, and I would be fine to carry on driving car when I said I was afraid of problem worse. During diagnosing the problem, they reset the Engine Management Light. During drive home light comes back on. 29/12/2023 - 29/01/2024 I carry on driving the car but closer to the date, engine goes to reduced power every now and again – not being a mechanic I presumed that this was due to above fault. 20/01/2024 Not expecting any more problems paid off the finance on the car using personal loan from bank with lower interest rate. 30/01/2024 Trade Centre replace to O2 sensor (They also take it on a roughly 60mile road trip which seems a bit excessive to me – I can’t prove this as something prompted me take a picture of milage when I handed car in but I forgot take one on collection – only remembered next day.) 06/02/2024 Engine goes in reduced power mode again and engine management light comes on – Thinking the Trade centre’s 28 day warranty period was over I booked the car the into local garage for the next day to get problem fixed under the lifetime warranty package. Fault seems to clear after engine was switched off. 07/02/2024 In the Morning, I take it to local garage who say as the light gone off – the warranty company is unlikely to cover the cost of the repair or diagnostics and recommend I contact them when the light comes back on. In the evening the light comes back on and luckily I manage to get it back to the garage just before it shuts for the day. 08/02/2024 The Garage sends me a diagnostics video showing a lot error codes been picked up by their diagnostics machine including codes for Oxygen sensor and Nox Sensors, Accelerator pedal and several more. Video also shows EGR Hose not connected to the intake manifold properly, they believed this was confusing the onboard system as it is unlikely this many sensors would trigger at same the time but they couldn’t be certain until they repaired the hose. 13/02/2024 Finally get the car back as it took a while to get approval and payment for the repairs from the Warranty company. Garage told me to keep an eye the car as errors had cleared with the hose but couldn’t 100% certain that’s what caused the problem. 06/03/2024 Engine management light comes on again. Fed up I go into Trade Centre as I was just around the corner when it happened and asked them how to reject the car or have the problem fixed. They insist that as it’s over 28 days I need to get the car fixed under the warranty package I purchased and they could no longer fix the car as it was over 28 days. When I tried telling them it appeared to be the same or related problem they said they couldn’t help as I hadn’t contacted them earlier. I asked them if they were willing to connect the car to the diagnostics machine and tell me what the problem was, as a goodwill gesture, which he agreed to do and took the car to the back He came back around 30 minutes later and said they took a look at the sensor they replaced previously and there was nothing wrong with it and engine management light went off when they removed the sensor to check it. When I asked what the error code he couldn’t give me an exact fault but the said it one of the problems I told him earlier (Accelerator pedal). I have this visit audio recorded on my phone – I informed the reps I was recording several times. As the light wasn’t on, local garage couldn’t book me for a repair under warranty. 07/03/2024 Light came on so managed to book back into local garage for the 12/03/2024 Whilst waiting to take car into garage, I borrowed a OBD sensor and scanned for errors on the car. This showed the following errors: P11BE – Manufacturer specific code (Google showed this to be NOX sensor) P0133 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow 12/03/2024 Took car to local garage and the confirmed the above errors. This leads me to believe that either Trade Centre UK reps lied and just reset the light or just didn’t check properly (Obviously I am unable to prove this) 22/03/2024 Finally got the car back as according to garage, the warranty company took a long to time to pay for the repairs 28/04/2024 Engine management Light has come back on. Using the borrowed OBD scanner I am getting the following codes: P0133 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow P2138 - Accelerator Position Sensors (G79) / (G185): Implausible Correlation I have not yet booked into a garage as I wanted to see what my rights are in terms of rejecting the car as to me the faults seem related. I can’t keep using taxi or train to get to work every time the car goes into the garage as it is getting very expensive. Am I right in thinking that they have used up their chance to repair when they conducted the repair end of January or when they refused to repair it in February ? If I am still able to reject the vehicle could you point to any sample letters or emails I can use. Thankyou for your advice on my next steps.
    • Ok noted about the screenshot uploads. In terms of screwing up I had one previous ticket that defaulted and ended up in a CCJ from Southend airport because for some reason during COVID I didn't receive their claim form just a notice of default. This hospital ticket was the 2nd ticket that went to CCJ due to a lack of knowledge of the process. Maybe it's easier just to pay them in future I'm thinking though, I don't get them very often anyway
    • Car maker takes a hit from weakening demand and price war in the world's largest electric vehicle market.View the full article
    • please stop posting up unnecessary unnamed screenshot files  you've done it throughout your threads and we have to renamed them. RENAME THE FILE before you upload if its just text information like a defence or a claim history or a link to a previous post  type it here not by an unnamed screenshot attachment  . sorry NM but you've been here dealing with PPC claims since 2021 somehow you always manage to screw up.......or do totally the opposite of std repeated advice on 10'000 of PPC threads here you are your own worst enemy... dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

DCA Claimform - MBNA Card debt with No Default Notice **WON WITH COSTS***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well done Valdez :D

Hadituptohere

I'm far from an expert, but learning all the time!!!!!

If i've been at all helpful please click my star.

Hadituptohere OH V Capital One, **WON**

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (providian/Monument/Barclaycard cc) - ** claim struck out ** due to non complaince of CPR, Wasted Costs applied for, Default Cost Certificate issued by Court, Warrant of excecution and CC Baliffs instructed...lol 😎

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (morgan stanley dean witter/barclays cc) - account in dispute, LBA sent to barclays, awaiting responce, no responce.

Hadituptohere V RBS, default removal x 2, case dismissed, judge used Balance of Probabilities against hard Evidence.

Hadituptohere OH v Santander, Santander issue claim in court, settled out of court via Tomlin, less solicitors fees and interest.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone!

Well went to court today - bit of an ordeal and very nervous to start with.

But..........l won WITH COSTS AWARDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the invalid default notice which swung it and, although the DCA can still pursue the arrears in County Court ( less your claim for unlawful rescission. In Woodchester I beleive that was £1000 ), these are mush mush less than the amount they were trying to make me bankrupt for.

Interestingly, the DJ, who was mostly very fair and open minded and listened to both sides and discussed issues (and also seemd to have a decent CCA knowledge) let the Claimant's barrister get away with an illegible photocopy application form and some unconnected T&Cs, which were clearly not originals, as an executed agreement based on the CAREY RULING. Not that it affected you, but he got that bit wrong. Carey only related to s78, the provission of information during the life of an agreement. HHJ Waksman was quite clear on that.

Once an agreement has ended, you cannot use s78 (Rankine) so neither can they use it to provide a reconstruction in court.

I don't understand this bit and, as we are likely to come up against this more and more, feel we need to get more discussion going on this case.

Anyway, enough of that for now. Thanks to all who helped me and a donation will be on its way when costs are paid. Wonder if l'll have to send in the bailiffs???

Finally, on this subject, do l have to write to the DCA re costs order or will the court do this?

Off for a few well earned beers soon. Very draining emotionally, but very satisfying that with help from CAG l was able to argue my case successfully on the day! Cheers everyone!

Vint

AND VERY WELL DONE VALDEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for yr congratulations...it's only a battle victory in a long war....but a great victory for me.

Am drained now and going to bed....but will post more on CAREY later this week (I think this is going to be a big issue with hearings from now on) + plus some tips on dealing with a very stressful situation (court) which is alien to most of us.

Should this no go in Legal Successes?

Finally special thanks to Banker - your advice on costs and their format was spot on - the DJ gave me everything l asked for!!!

Congratulations! That is wonderful news! Well done!

Colin.

Here are links to my other threads... Please take a look and offer any help you can. Thanks...

1. Legal Action - Cabot Financial (Goldfish Account) ***WON***

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?252630-Urgent-Help-Required-With-Disclosure-***WON***&highlight=

2. Legal Action - Set aside application - Marlins/Phoenix

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?265002-Set-aside-of-judgement-(acceptance)-help-needed&highlight=

3. Legal Action - Set Aside Default Judgement -Santander (B & Q Store Card)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?261340-Urgent-Help-required-drafting-defence-for-set-aside-application&highlight

You can make a donation here:

Hello Valdez!

E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T

I am delighted for you, although my delight is tempered somewhat by the Carey nonsense.

The Judge was plain wrong there, so it would be good to come back and discuss that here, when you have had time to chill out, enjoy some beers, and let the result sink in.

However, I do urge you to come back and go over anything that did not go your way, so that you can extract the most benefit from that experience. It will put you in good stead ready for the next time in Court.

Cheers,

BRW

congrats Valdez, good to see another one bite the dust on the Default notice

the Carey thing is unfortunate and seems to be misused because all judges love a shortcut even if it doesnt apply

I understand that Carey applies to S78 and was a creditor defending not seeking enforcement but when you find yourself in the courtroom infront of the DJ what would be the best/correct way/statement to direct him/her? asking because ive got a feeling that cabot are going to go this route

Hadituptohere

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (providian/Monument/Barclaycard cc) - ** claim struck out ** due to non complaince of CPR, Wasted Costs applied for, Default Cost Certificate issued by Court, Warrant of excecution and CC Baliffs instructed...lol 😎

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (morgan stanley dean witter/barclays cc) - account in dispute, LBA sent to barclays, awaiting responce, no responce.

Hadituptohere V RBS, default removal x 2, case dismissed, judge used Balance of Probabilities against hard Evidence.

Hadituptohere OH v Santander, Santander issue claim in court, settled out of court via Tomlin, less solicitors fees and interest.

I understand that Carey applies to S78 and was a creditor defending not seeking enforcement but when you find yourself in the courtroom infront of the DJ what would be the best/correct way/statement to direct him/her? asking because ive got a feeling that cabot are going to go this route

Hadituptohere

I presume you would just need to point out (with respect) to the DJ that this ruling was in relation to the production of "information" only, under s78, and did not apply to evidence in proving the enforceability of an agreement; and that clearly this could only be achieved beyond reasonble doubt by viewing the actual original agreement document... Well, I think that's what I would say...

Here are links to my other threads... Please take a look and offer any help you can. Thanks...

1. Legal Action - Cabot Financial (Goldfish Account) ***WON***

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?252630-Urgent-Help-Required-With-Disclosure-***WON***&highlight=

2. Legal Action - Set aside application - Marlins/Phoenix

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?265002-Set-aside-of-judgement-(acceptance)-help-needed&highlight=

3. Legal Action - Set Aside Default Judgement -Santander (B & Q Store Card)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?261340-Urgent-Help-required-drafting-defence-for-set-aside-application&highlight

You can make a donation here:

Hadituptohere

How indeed do you point out to a judge that he is wrong and that the oponents solicitor might be trying to pull the wool over the learned judges eyes?

Respectfully remind the ops solicitor, that his statement is not so correct, is it now.

Remind all assembled that in fact HHJ Waksman rulled only on the provision of information to the debtor under s 78 while the agreement was live and refused to rule on other matters as they were not pertinent to the case.

Ask the other sides solicitor, why he is only picking on one point out of 235 points in the honourable judges rulling.

SUMMARY OF FINDINGS

(1) A creditor can satisfy its duty under s78 by providing a reconstituted version of the executed agreement which may be from sources other than the actual signed agreement itself;

(2) The s78 copy must contain the name and address of the debtor as it was at the time of the execution of the agreement. But the creditor can provide the name and address from whatever source it has of those details. It does not have to take them from the executed agreement itself;

(3) The creditor need not, in complying with s78, provide a document which would comply (if signed) with the requirements of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 as to form, as at the date the agreement was made;

(4) If an agreement has been varied by the creditor under a unilateral power of variation, the creditor must still provide a copy of the original agreement, as well as the varied terms;

(5) If a creditor is in breach of section 78 this does not of itself give rise to an unfair relationship within the meaning of section 140A;

(6) The Court has jurisdiction to declare whether in a particular case, there has been a breach of s78. Whether it will be appropriate to grant such a declaration depends on the circumstances of that case;

(7) In assessing whether Prescribed Terms are "contained" in an executed agreement the principles set out at paragraph 173 above are relevant. On the assumed facts set out at paragraph 177 the Prescribed Terms were so contained;

(8) The claims that there was an unfair relationship and an IEA in Adris should be struck out or dismissed. The claim that there was an IEA in Yunis should be struck out or dismissed. The absence of any positive pleaded case or evidence as to the circumstances of the making of the agreement by the debtor concerned was fatal to the IEA claims. The absence of any positive plea or evidence as to particular facts relied upon in support of the unfair relationship claim other than failure to provide a s78 copy, was fatal to that claim.

You could also remind them that HHJ Waksman concluded that reconstructed agreements were fine, unless that agreement had been altered, in which case reconstruction was OK for the current agreement, but that a copy of the actual agreement, needed to acompany the reconstructed altered agreement.

Thankyou for all of that Vint, ive been in the court room a few times now and found it very hard to try and perswade the judge that they are being missdirected, really appreciate your points for future refrence

Hadituptohere

s 78 comes under this section.

PART VI

MATTERS ARISING DURING CURRENCY OF CREDIT

OR HIRE AGREEMENTS

You need to remember to point out that s78 falls under this part and is for current agreements only. Show that the agreement has ended and you should win the argument.

Edited by vint1954

Vint & everyone...hi.

I have read & think l understand all you have posted above.

In my case, the barrister insisted that CAREY went beyond s77/78.

I can't remember where or what as l was hell bent on fighting my case.

But barrister had a bundle of papers (all of Carey) which the DJ could not possibly digest on the day and he took barrister's word on this point. I had no argument as l only had what l thought were relevant points (my fault l know).

I know he was wrong and l probably had my worst moments in the hearing on this point, but what arguments can we use here?

Did HHJ Waksman not refer at all to section 61 & 127 CCA? If so where are these?

I am going to print the full CAREY details over the weekend and try to understand it in full and will start a new thread on this soon. I am most of all concerned that others will be caught out by DJs not fully understanding the actual summary/rulings on Carey and will be defeated by wily barristers who bend the findings to suit their argument as with me. I was not totally prepared on this case and it hurts, cos l know the DJ was mislead and got it wrong. Discuss please!

Hi Valdez. Yes he does mention s61 & 127.

If you open the pdf above and enter either 61 or 127 in the find box, at the top of the page, you will be able to find them quickly.

Just be careful to separate the early references where the judge is outlining the claim, from his ruling.

If you have not already been there, have a look at the earlier pages of http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/240186-dissecting-manchester-test-case.html

the words of Lord Hobhouse in saying that “The consequence of the failure to comply with the statutory requirements is clearly spelt out in the statute. The contract cannot be legally enforced by the creditor against the debtor: sections 65 and 127. It may be thought that this may sometimes produce a harsh result and an unmerited windfall for the debtor. But this is what Parliament has provided no doubt in accordance with a broader policy. Again I agree with your Lordships that there is no basis for implying an obligation of the hirer to pay contrary to the statute.”

The Agreements fell under CCA 1974 and not CCA 2006... which means that they have the protection of s127 (3), which the Judge does refer to but it's not relevant in the CLAIMANTS' case since they were not going down the route of s127 (3) in their POC.

"SUMMARY OF FINDINGS:

(4). If an agreement has been varied by the creditor under a unilateral power of variation, the creditor must still provide a copy of the original agreement, as well as the varied terms."

Still chewing this over in the light of DJ using Carey to agree application form (illegible) + unconnected T&Cs constituted an enforceable agreement.

This is in anticipation of a CC claim for the arrears.

Vint, you have provided lots of useful info, but could you expand on your comment in post #63 re my claim for unlawful recission:-

Originally Posted by Valdez is Coming viewpost.gif

Hi everyone!

It was the invalid default notice which swung it and, although the DCA can still pursue the arrears in County Court ( less your claim for unlawful rescission. In Woodchester I beleive that was £1000 ), these are mush mush less than the amount they were trying to make me bankrupt for.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN PLS?

Also the 'mush, mush' must have been down to the celebratory beers!

Still chewing this over in the light of DJ using Carey to agree application form (illegible) + unconnected T&Cs constituted an enforceable agreement.

This is in anticipation of a CC claim for the arrears.

Vint, you have provided lots of useful info, but could you expand on your comment in post #63 re my claim for unlawful recission:-

Originally Posted by Valdez is Coming viewpost.gif

Hi everyone!

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN PLS?

Also the 'mush, mush' must have been down to the celebratory beers!

carey is realy irelevant, especially if the creditor is the claimant. HE NEEDS TO PROVE HIS CASE.

I know that it is dificult in front of a judge in the lower courts, to explain that Waksman was misdirecting himself, but an Act Of Parliament, trumps a judge's opinion any day. You just have to be prepared with a sound argument.

Wakesman commented and ruled on s78 and the ability of a creditor to reconstruct an agreement for the purposes of that section of the act. It was no surprise when he came to the conclusion that he did. This has been the OFT stance for years.

But the fact remains that it has to be so true a copy, that there can be no doubt as to it's authenticity. If you have prodded your creditor enough times, then some months later their solicitors, you will have so many differing versions of True Copies that you should be able to blow that one away.

But when they take you to court, that is a different matter. The claimants in Carey and others were the debtors or their agents in the form of CMC's. They took the creditor to court to have the agreements declared unenforcable under copies supplied via s78. That was never going to work, because all the creditor had to do was supply information. At that stage he did not even have to supply a signature. The claimant had no evidence and no chance of success.

HHJ Waksman did however comment on s78, when the original agreement is capable of alteration in it's terms, and is altered, at each alteration the creditor must supply a copy of the original agreement. But as that was not raised as part of the claimants ( Debtors ) case, it had no bearing on the outcome.

What you have now is a situation where desparate creditors, because of their foolish actions in destroying agreements, are relying on Carey to save their day. If they were trutheful, they would know it cannot, but they know that they will get away with it in front of many judges, especially where ther is a weak or ill prepared defence.

Let me know what you want regarding UR.

Vint

I think I see what you want regarding UR.

I would just have a letter ready to counter any claim for the arrears if mentioned. Was this mentioned in court?

Woodchester was some time ago, so £1000 then, seen as reasonable compensation, could be £2000 now.

Once you have the judgement from the court, you could try writing to the DCA and OC, insisting that as the default notice was faulty, they have entered defaults on your credit file that amount to inaccurate data under DPA 1998. Demand their removal, reminding them of the unlimited fines and compensation for damage to your credit rating, that could be imposed. If they argue, remind them that it is a brave man that takes the chance of a £50k fine aginst a data entry.

Hi Vint......you are some kind of genius! That's exactly what l needed, thanks. Think l can prepare fully now for when they come back at me.

Bit like 'who blinks first' l guess!

Many thanks for all your help (and everyone else!) with this one

I got my $100 dollars! (you'd have to see the film or read the book by Elmore Leonard)..................Valdez

• dx100uk changed the title to DCA Claimform - MBNA Card debt with No Default Notice **WON WITH COSTS***