Car hit by tree - need help on what to claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was driving along a road a couple of months back in my 6 week old renault kangoo and a tree surgeon cut a branch off a tree straight onto my car.

No-one was stopping the traffic and I have an independednt witness so it seems pretty clear cut etc.

I dont have legal expenses on my policy so while my insurance company will get back the cost of the repair I have to claim seperately for all out of pocket expenses.

What I want to know is, can I claim for loss of use of the vehicle?

Its been in the garage nearly 2 and a half weeks, we bought it to take our giant newfoundland dog for walks and to dog shows, he hasnt been able to go out properly now in nearly 3 weeks.

No coutresy car was available and hire cars dont allow dogs in the back but I feel as though ive missed out on the use of this vehicle that we are paying good money for, and it has been a big pain having to walk the dog around the road (which he hates) rather than further afield.

I feel feel as though we should be compensated for loss of use but im not sure if that is the norm or would indeed be taken seriously.

many thanks

Claiming for loss of use is a standard item, it is the norm and you will be taken seriously.

Head the item, loss of use and general inconvenience and put a figure on it that you think reflects reasonable compensation for what you have suffered.

Mossy

If you have fully comprehensive insurance you have two choices...

1) Claim on your own policy for the repairs and then let your motor insurers recover their outlay from the PL insurance of the tree surgeon, and then you make a seperate claim for your uninsured losses (excess, car hire, loss of use, general inconvenience, out of pocket expenses etc) direct against the PL insurance of the tree surgeon

Or

2) Claim for everything yourself direct from the PL insurers of the tree surgeon, but you would need to forward estimates and allow them chance to inspect etc.

The days of insurers including the uninsured losses of policyholders is long gone, very few insurers do this these days, and those that do will take quite a while for the recovery because they have to write to you, write to them, write to you etc. Best cut out the 'middle man' and do it yourself.

Mossy