Not accepting chqs

conar686
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6465 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recently BP refused payment by chq (with card) after I had filled up. Apart from being treated like a crim by the staff.

Can anyone tell me what the consumers rights are in these cases.

I do not have credit card & oblect to chip n pin as this is I feel an intrusion so only use cash or chq

Any ideas help or advice welcome

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

There is no freemasonry like the freemasonry of Golf

dont understand whats so intrusive about chip and pin?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

By using chip n pin - you give away for free, your spending pattern & location

bit too much like big brother for me

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I believe that there is something called the 'Cheques Act'.

It may be worth having a scout around and seeing what you can find.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

How is that so different from chq and card?

Anyway back to your point, if they dont now accept cheques thats up to them, even though it will probably cause many people the same problem as yourself.

Is BP the only garage you can use?

If its a major problem for you simply use another garage that does accept chqs.

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Good point - tho' there is a time lag with chqs & certainly with cash there is no 'overwatch' - additionally I'd prefer payment terms were in my hands & not those forced upon me by financial institutions

call me paranoid

Point taken, you should be able to pay by whatever suits you.

I think if you have offered a valid legal form of payment and they refuse it you do not have to offer another form. Obviously there will be exceptions like places that cannot physically accept credit cards etc.

Point this out to them next time and say this is the only way I wish to pay if you don't accept it you will not be having any payment.

I believe that there is something called the 'Cheques Act'.

It may be worth having a scout around and seeing what you can find.

Tks DAve

The Chqs act doesn't cover it - it refers only to x chq payee ruling where only the payee can cash the chq

Anyway back to your point, if they dont now accept cheques thats up to them, even though it will probably cause many people the same problem as yourself.

No doubt the member won't be using them again but as they stated in their post they had already filled up befoer finding out they couldn't pay by cheque

I have to say if you don't know whats wrong with "chip & pin" then you haven't been following the appaling events surrounding their use.

To establish you movements & spending pattern using cheques as your data source would unlike "chip & pin" require manual intervention

Tks for all views - nuff said, don't use BP anymore, my worry is that v.soon all that will be available to us consumers is either cash or chip n pin, one excuse for going this way is that the Banks chg them for chqs

Well they should sue them. They are auto read by machine the only thing requireing manual intervention is the inputting of the amount.

Apparently I'm told if you run a magnet across the numbers on the bottom it can't be read & gets delayed.

Perhaps I should try this "I don't recognise your right to ask for alternative payment" thing sometime. After all, if the banks can refuse to recognise the law ...

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Shell garages are the same.

They have notices displayed saying that they will no longer accept cheques for payment.

It is my view that this can only be valid if posted on or near the pump, so it may be seen before filling up.

Well they should sue them. They are auto read by machine the only thing requireing manual intervention is the inputting of the amount.

Apparently I'm told if you run a magnet across the numbers on the bottom it can't be read & gets delayed.

Banks charge more for manual credits (ie cheques) then automated credits. There is more to handling a cheque than inputting the amount. They have to be sorted and physically returned to the issuing banks. Cheque sorters are incredibly complicated machines moving cheques at high speed and have high maintenance (and capital) costs.

The ink used for the characters at the bottom of the check is magnetisable. When the cheque is arrives at the sorting centre, the amount is added manually to this information, again using magnetisable ink and then this is used by the sorters. Running a magnet over the cheque makes no difference as the ink will be magnetised anyway for sorting. Even if it did, this would only reduce the cheque to manual sorting instead of machine sorting

I saw the sign @ BP but in my opinion it was too small & hidden in the clutter of other signs on the pump housing.

Surely a larger sign on the entry way would stop misunderstandings.

Shell announced this quite some time ago. The proper positioning of any sign should be on the Pump.

I'm afraid the vast majority of cards these days are CHIP, although, as we know a considerable amount of retailers have not implemented Chip & PIN. This is for cost and risk reasons.

You do not however have to have a PIN - If it's your perception (for whatever reason, including T&C compliance), you can't manage a PIN, then you can get yourself Chip & Signature Cards.

Tell, don't ask your card issuer you want a Chip & Signature card, and put it in writing.

Thanks

Thanks for all responses I guess I better get used to being a minority - its a sad thing when financial institutions & suppliers can dictate the mechanism in which you spend your money

Shell announced this quite some time ago. The proper positioning of any sign should be on the Pump.

I'm afraid the vast majority of cards these days are CHIP, although, as we know a considerable amount of retailers have not implemented Chip & PIN. This is for cost and risk reasons.

You do not however have to have a PIN - If it's your perception (for whatever reason, including T&C compliance), you can't manage a PIN, then you can get yourself Chip & Signature Cards.

Tell, don't ask your card issuer you want a Chip & Signature card, and put it in writing.

You know that, I know that, but the banks lie when they claim you can NO longer use card & sig & everyone has to use "chip & pin". eg If your American & visiting these shores they still use card & sig why? because they won't have anything to do with it.

So if the system still accepts the old method for them it has to accept it for all.

It galls me that the banks are allowed to constantly get away with their blatant lies

All my cards which have a Visa or MasterCard logo are Chip & Signature, hence asking for them in writing.

You will be sent PINs, as credit card issuers in particular seem to have no way of stopping this. Return your PIN intact, thus proving that you have no knowledge of it.

Some card issuers (NationWide - GE Money) actually tell you the card you've got is Chip & Signature. Others (Liverpool Victoria), you have to guess, most confusing.

Hope this helps.

If you fill up, then go to pay with a cheque and they refuse to accept it, leave your name and address and maybe show proof of ID and then its definatly not a criminal matter, and if they phone the police, they will say the same.

Obtaining Goods By Deception

And

Dishonestly Making Off Without Payment

Both require elements of deception or dishonesty, which arent present it your case.

Regards,

Tom3131.

Before you take any legal action, please read through the

FAQ's, then if you dont understand something, please ask for advice ;) .

If theres a thread in which you think I could help, please PM me using the Private Messaging facility in the top right hand corner of the screen.

Advice & opinions of tom3131, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you ha

Recently BP refused payment by chq (with card) after I had filled up. Apart from being treated like a crim by the staff.

Can anyone tell me what the consumers rights are in these cases.

I do not have credit card & oblect to chip n pin as this is I feel an intrusion so only use cash or chq

Any ideas help or advice welcome

It would appear that this does not apply to all BP outlets.

Chieveley Services on the M4/A34 accept cheques with a guarantee card with no problem. They won't accept business cheques, but then these don't have guarantee cards.