• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

BREAKING NEWS – DVLA Loses In Court

lonerider
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4438 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They may have lost in court but they certtainly won on watchdog. the interview was as useless the interviewer. The poison dwarf was only interested in making one useless point about a woman who fell foul of Boris's empire.

Where was the ambush on the criminal activites of the DVLA?

Are the DVLA the masters of the universe? Possibly.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed, they got away scot free on that one. A pathetic interview which was easy for Tse to work his way around. This was a serious issue affecting maybe tens of thousands of innocent people, yet it was left to a washed up old journo to ask simple questions, and not even follow up on the answers given, which were woolly (Pat Woolley) at best.

Why didnt she ask why the DVLA treats innocent people like criminals? Or why the DVLA considers itself to be the law? Or why they say they do not lose any post, yet the FOI reply shows that in truth they do not actually know what the percentage of lost post is? Or how about Why don't the DVLA accept documented proof such as photocopied originals, yet the courts do?

I liked it when Tse was talking about the tiny percentage of people who complain about SORN reminders etc. Well thats because the DVLA have been able to bully and harangue people into believing that their process is not only lawful, but it is indeed the law! "You MUST pay a fine of £80.00 or else we will send debt collectors round to recover your DEBT!!!" Thats why people just pay up, it sounds quite threatening and official. Well Mr Tse, lets hope that the level of complaints rises significantly now, and that a proper investigation into the DVLA takes place, by someone far more proficient in investigative reporting than Anne Robinson!!

Obviously it - Simon Tse - went to the same school as Gordon Brown, did not answer a single question and lied.

If you should be at home now Simon Tse and having a look here to see how you did, you showed yourself to be a complete arsehole, running a department that has no more scruples than drug runners or people smugglers.

There is one difference though, you probably make more money than they do.

Edited by Conniff

It wasnt Noel Shanahan, it wasn't the Chief Executive, it was the ACTING Chief Executive Simon Tse. Shanahan appears to have been moved sideways indefinitely to a role within the Department of Transport.

I don't think he made an arse of himself either, he didnt have much to defend, after all, the stories presented by Watchdog were mainly about the woman who's car was towed away and sold by a Local Authority, which for some reason Anne robinson kept harping on about. The real story was Duncan Pecks story, which unfortunately was glossed over by Watchdog. He proved that the DVLA lies to innocent people, and is prepared to lie to them up to the point that it goes to court. And whatsmore, the independent complaints procedure actually is a totally dependent complaints procedure (if a procedure at all) whereby the Chief Executive decides the outcome!

I hope my dispute with the DVLA does go to court, they deserve every lost case they get!

Tks, edited.

I agree, this has been said over and over, Watchdog is crap at changing anything, they have too many articles, time for only a couple of questions which are not forced and they never chase up a given reply, all in all, very poor interviewing. Why isn't Jeremy Paxman doing the interview.

There are lots of threads that advise 'send it to Watchdog', but watchdog never actually makes any difference at all, so it would seem a waste of time to send them anything.

If I hadn't seen the extent of the problems with the DVLA with my own eyes, but only knew what I had seen tonight, I would be thinking 'a couple of whingers out of millions, not a bad record, I can't see what the problem it'.

Edited by Conniff

Oh dear told you so or at least I suspected how it would go & I wasn't disappointed .......................... apparently

I'm afraid that WD even after the reintroduction of Ann Robinson is only a shadow of it's former self. Its' all about image & personalties rather than content

Agree with all the preceedong. Watchdog is an ENTERTAINMENT show (the most obvious it the double-act comedy team 'Mad Bikers'), no expense spared in generating belly laughs (which rarely come off).

Faced with Tse, the ability to drill down to the unlawful pursuit of those who have complied with SORN, yet through no fault of their own are beaten into submission by the weight of Debt Collection activity. Watchdog would have far better served viewers by revealing how to challenge and lift the DVLAs threats, rather than simply seek apologies.

I DID like Tse's contention that after Council's have paid for and recieved the relevant Registered Keeper's details, it remains the Council's responsibility to ensure that the data they provided was 'accurate'.

I'm sorry - if I pay for a service, I expect it to be fit for purpose. DVLA is saying that they have no responsibility, and any information they provide has no guarantee of accuracy.

Yet nobody thought this was worthwhile pursuing.

DVLA and Watchdog should hang their heads in shame.

Hi everyone.

I would like to say a big thanks to everyone who has supported us, in my quest to expose the DVLA from acting unlawfully with the view of changing the rules that that the DVLA inflict on innocent motorists. How many years has this been happening and what have we / you done about it?

It does not end there, this is going to be an ongoing train. The show is what I expected, but having watched it about 10 times it did make some valid points. Yes it could of been better. We all now know the DVLA is not fit for purpose in its current state. Week Mangement is often lead by an attitude that they were not willing to commit to improve anything anytime soon.

So what can we do now?

Papers are a good start. If you are going to contact them, you need to do 20 min for starters. If any of you are either recieving wrong information, wrong details we need to take advantage. This could be wrong names, wrong addresses, anything that is wrong. Keep it, record it and use it.

Has anyone put the show on youtube yet?

Can someone do that for me please?

Everytime you email the DVLA insert at least 5 links that are directed to websites where the DVLA has messed up. Keep it fresh. If anyone wants any good links just let me know. Not sure how to link just ask.

When submitting Freedom of information requests, make sure you dont forget about your links. They are bound to click on them and be reminded how bad the DVLA is. Keep your links consistant.

Get your MP involved - mine kept hounding them with letters. It does work.

There is much more work to do, but let me tell you something. I was dragged to the courts for something I did not do. I was innocent. I will never allow the DVLA to walk over me again. If I can help you I will.

Remember all letters, all emails, dont forget your links, dont forget your MP, dont forget your papers, dont forget to keep submitting Freedon of Information Requests. It cost them more then £80. If everyone did that it would not be worthwhile for the DVLA to go down the County Court route.

I can not stress enough, how important it is for you to get your MP involved. Please get them involved. MP's make the law, so it makes sense to change how the DVLA work..

I have attached a PDF, but only use this form when you have your MP involved. Reason is they will need to sign it. This form is called a PHSO The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman who investigate complaints about government departments and agencies in the UK and the NHS in England

I am also looking for suggestions and ideas please. Please contact me if you would be willing to help!

New Parli Form 102009 PHSO-0066 ver 5 - mailandweb.pdf

Edited by lonerider

One thing I have noticed from writing letters back and forth to the DVLA is that the erroneous statements they make in their replies simply help the final cause, should it come to court.

I am reading a letter from the Head of Compliance at the moment, and in response to my concerns re Interpretations Act, it reads "It is the Agency's position that it is not sufficient for a person issued with a Late Licencing Penalty, who is the registered keeper, to simply advise that a disposal notification has been posted to the DVLA."

I'm sorry but the law states that that is exactly what is sufficient. There is no requirement to do any more than to advise that a disposal notification has been posted to the DVLA! All the DVLA require is that the notification is completed and posted via post.

:) A man who appears to be extremely non-compliant.

I like the link ideas, all emails now contain links :) I am also propogating motoring forums.

I have just read one of the V5c's I have for one of my vehicles, and the more I read it the less clear it becomes. This bit about them sending an acknowledgment letter AFTER four weeks, yet they say if you havent recieved an acknowledgment letter WITHIN four weeks then you should contact them. But that just doesnt make any sense at all, it is utter gibberish! You WON'T have recieved the letter within four weeks as they don't send it out till AFTER four weeks. But how long after four weeks? It doesnt say!

I find this v interesting and will have to dig out my paperwork from 2008 when I was fined by DVLA for not SORNing my vehicle, despite protests from myself and the intervention of my MP. :mad:

Perhaps give them the opportunity to refund the fine I had to pay, or take them to court for it.

:cool:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Do remember, that having paid, you have a mountain to climb to get your money back. It is not that you are chasing something owed, but that DVLA misrepresented its claim and you paid under duress. This is more difficult than you think, because the action of paying is what DVLA see as your admission and discharge of the claim against you. Trying to wind the clock back because you've thought better of it later won't be easy, and would (probably) require a solicitor to represent you, which would completely remove the benefit of getting the amount repaid.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, but the chances of succes if you hadn't paid would be a magnitude higher, than if you made payment then tried to reclaim. Of course if you lose, you'll be hit with the DVLAs (capped) costs too, so its best not being in this disadvantaged position before you start.

Thanks Raymond - your comments are appreciated.

I paid the reduced fine of £40 pounds on the advice of my MP, to avoid the fine being doubled. I think, at the time of payment, I said it was being paid under duress. And my letters to the DVLA before, and when, the fine was paid made it very clear that I did not accept their assertions.

I'll see how things develop before deciding ........... :cool:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I agree with Buzby, its going to be extremely difficult to turn back time on this one.

Isn't it amazing though how the DVLA get so many people to pay their "discounted" invoice, an invoice for a payment that is in many cases totally unwarranted!

They invoice you to pay for their mistakes and offer an early payment 50% discount :)

It is a very effective practice, as so many outfits follow the 'parking ticket' route to somehow make a 'saving' by settling early. The Parking Appeal Tribunal is clear - if you have paid (even under duress) the door is closed - it is an either/or.

It may seem reasonable to give them what they want and then seek redress when your neck isn't in the noose. But this remains a bad move. Back in the old days when you used to get decent interest, I'd appeal and not pay, putting the money into a savings account that provided interest. In the odd occasion that I lost - my loss was mitigated by the interest (it often took up to 6-9 months before a hearing). When I won, I was really 'in the money'! :)

Yep, it is a very effective practice, and cloaking your letters with official looking terminology, emboldening words like Failure to Pay, Demand, Enforcement Action etc. means that most people will do the easiest thing to get it off their back - pay, and justify it by feeling that they've saved themselves the extra £40!

I've made my decision on this one, I'm not paying what I don't owe, I have no debt with the DVLA.

I'm thinking that this is worth setting up a seperate website and forum, so I'm going to try and put something together tonight.

You can merge the two. Informational website with facts about the DVLA and how they bully and harrass people, and an open forum which wuold get all the hits (and increase the page rank!). Anything that gets this lot in the public eye is needed :)

I have more good news. I won against the DVLA in Portsmouth County Court. I relied on several points and half way through I knew I was going to win. I must thanks BBC Watchdog who gave details of case history. HORSHAM COUNTY COURT PEEK V SEC OF STATE FOR TRANSPORT CASE 9BR08279. I am happy to confirm my case when the court papers arrive but it bolis down to " The DVLA do not have statutary power to require anyone to contact them if they do not receive a receipt."

Jimbo - its PECK! lol.

WELL done

.............................................................................................................................................................................................

We have over 5000 hits on this subject alone and how proud I am to be part of a great forum with great people on board excluding the DVLA who read this. Again it was proved that the DVLA lost because they are not abiding by the law in general and when it come to the Acknowledgement Letter system. I have been very busy in getting support from many organiastions.

I would like to make a suggestion.

When you go to county court you can refer to test cases like JIMBO did and it worked. In order for it to work we need trial details where people have won:

I think this can be used as a very powerful tool. Should this be a sub folder under DVLA or be part of this thread? I think if its part of this thread it will get to long. We could put the info in a PDF and keep it updated and I would be happy to do that or as i said start a sub folder?

Claim No: 9BR0829

Court: Horsham County Court

Date: 30 March 2010

Reason: No statutary power to require anyone to contact them if they do not receive a receipt."

Result: Win

Edited by lonerider

Thats why I was thinking of a seperate website and forum, just for this particular subject.

I think it should go into a sperate thread really, so people can keep themselves up to date as to what cases have been won, what evidence should be used, how a defence should be put together etc.