Cabot Financial chasing me for someone else's debt?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5157 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just to give you a little background... About 18 months ago, we received several letters from various debt collection agencies referring to a woman who had lived in our flat some time ago (I'm assuimg - we didn't recognise the name and we have lived here for two years). I called these agencies and explained there was no one living here with that name and they apologised and promised not to send any more letters.

Then, just after Christmas, we had another letter for this woman from Cabot Financial. I called them and explained the situation. The woman at the other end of the phone asked my name - which I gave her - and while she was on the phone she started to ask lots of personal questions, including what my telephone number was (it's automatically withheld and I refused to give it out). She then told me she could see I paid the BT phone bill at this address (we don't even have an account with BT) and started to infer quite strongly that the woman and I were one and the same and I had changed my name to avoid paying my debts!

Since then, we've received a number of letters for this woman and I always return them to sender unopened. I'm concerned we're now blacklisted at our address and I'm not sure what to do as I've never found myself in this situation before.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I know they can't blacklist an address only a person and if you truly are not the woman they want then i don't think they could mark anything against your credit file personally as they would need more then just your name I would imagine.

I would suggest at this stage just keep doing what you are doing, phoning them never works :-\

If Cabot are being real pains put them to strict proof to show they have contacted the right person. Tell them if they no proof, or refuse to provide it because of data protection issues, tell them to sling their hook. If they continue to harrass you after that report them - hard - to all and sundry.

Thanks for the replies!

Sorry, forgot to mention... The original letter from Cabot Financial gave no specific details about the debt at all - I have no idea of an amount of anything.... It just said that if their offices weren't telephoned "someone would call" on a specific date, which has since come and gone... I'm assuming they meant someone would call at our address and we're really not very happy about this! I don't want to be discussing this with someone on our front doorstep, in front of the neighbours!

They won't send anyone and in the unlikely event that they do you can tell them to sling their hook or you will call the police and have them removed for trespassing. Contact your MP to tell him/her what has happened and send a copy of the letter to Cabot's Complaints Department at the Cabot King's Hill address. This is nuisance but don't be afraid of Cabot - they have no power to do anything to you whatsoever.

If you have occasion to return any further letters, I would put it in a sealed envelope, together with a letter informing them that if you receive any more communications and/or threats of home visits etc. you will take them to Court for Harrassment, will report them to the OFT for breaking their Guidelines and a copy will also go to the Trading Standards Department and your Local MP.

Then send it all by Recorded Delivery.

To prove harrassment you only need 2 instances, so 2 letters are all that is required, so keep all that they have sent, or do send.

As HS says, I am of the very firm belief that if these companies were taken to court for the criminal offence of harassment, then and only then, will they begin to clean up their filthy grubby act.

Some light reading for you!:D

Malicious Communications Act 1988 (c. 27)

Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (c. 40)

Telecommunications Act 1984 (c. 12) - Statute Law Database

Debt collection practices - The Office of Fair Trading

Boo;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!