Worried if bailiffs turn up - not my debts

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5198 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I am in an embarrassing place where I strongly suspect my bf is in quite a bit of debt and I am terrified of coming home to find the bailiffs waiting for me or him. I have seen spurious correspondance addressed to him (stuffed in his drawers) claiming he owes money to various institutions, (banks, credit cards and a catalogue I think), some recent debts and some going back to before I met him in 2001. I never seem to get any answers from him when I ask and to be quite honest don't entirely trust his version of the truth about this. The property and 99% of the contents belong to me, all solely in my name. Could the bailiffs take my things to pay off his debt, or would he need to be present in order for them to take anything. I have no experience of these matters and I'm so worried.

Many many thanks in advance.

Hi there

I am in an embarrassing place where I strongly suspect my bf is in quite a bit of debt and I am terrified of coming home to find the bailiffs waiting for me or him. I have seen spurious correspondance addressed to him (stuffed in his drawers) claiming he owes money to various institutions, (banks, credit cards and a catalogue I think), some recent debts and some going back to before I met him in 2001. I never seem to get any answers from him when I ask and to be quite honest don't entirely trust his version of the truth about this. The property and 99% of the contents belong to me, all solely in my name. Could the bailiffs take my things to pay off his debt, or would he need to be present in order for them to take anything. I have no experience of these matters and I'm so worried.

Many many thanks in advance.

It's not my place to pry but think you need to grasp this by neck and get some positive answers from him regardless of the hurt it may cause. Whilst I can't guide you on what to do with your private life I can suggest you have a Statutory Declaration done to protect your own property - cost approx £5 - £10 at a solicitor.

PT

Statutory Declaration.doc

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks PT, I understand what you are saying about the personal stuff - its a long story and not without a lot of hassle. I will take your advice on the practical though, thank you, very much appreciated.

If he's open to suggestions why not get him to come on here there are different parts to this site where he may just gain some help rather than play ostrich - as sooner or later someone will come knocking or worse.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have mentioned how informative and helpful everyone is on here on numerous occasions. Infact only last weekend I mentioned it again. I have looked for a thread similar to our situation just in case he has sought advice this week, but I imagine the username if there is one would be one I wouldn't recognise.

Can I just ask re the statutory declaration - do I complete it and sign it only when witnessed by a solicitor, and then do I need to take it to a county court?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks again.

I have mentioned how informative and helpful everyone is on here on numerous occasions. Infact only last weekend I mentioned it again. I have looked for a thread similar to our situation just in case he has sought advice this week, but I imagine the username if there is one would be one I wouldn't recognise.

Best course of action is to be actively looking at something on here and call him to say "look what I have found".

Can I just ask re the statutory declaration - do I complete it and sign it only when witnessed by a solicitor, and then do I need to take it to a county court?

Fill it in, make an appointment at solicitors, does not need to go to Court, just keep it yourself in case it is ever needed. To be on the safe side get 2 or 3 copies done. Solicitors office will help you with what you need.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks again.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]