Income support, benefits, child maintenance

goblin001
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5168 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is it right/lawful if you are on income support / child benefit and you use the majority of the money you get each month to pay off your own debts as youve got a big loan, money on catalogue, store cards etc. any comments would be appreciated as in my eyes i think its wrong as the child isnt getting as much as they should do as they money is bein used for other things. obviously when your in debt you have to pay it but in these circumstances i dont think its a good thing.:cool:

Hi and welcome to CAG :)

If you are struggling to maintain a reasonable standard of living, you will have to prioritise your debts. The main things to think of are:

Gas

electric

water

(rent and council tax should already be paid as you are on IS)

Food

Mainly, anything that you MUST pay.

Unsecured debts such as loans, catalogues and the like are non priority debts and as such you could write to each of the creditors explaining your circumstances and ask them to accept a token payment. Here is a link to some letters you could use:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

The only drawbacks to going this route is that your credit file is going to get royally screwed and it will hamper your attempts to get credit in the future (well, for 6 years)

If any of the creditors refuse to help, then there are other avenues for you to explore should that happen

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

There is no law which states what benefit money must be spent on. Income Support does not contain a component for a child anymore since the introduction of child tax credit however claims in effect before this change may still include a child element instead of child tax credit.

So long as the child is being adequately cared for I don't see an issue. I work full time so childcare costs are through the roof and I have had to make a lot of cutbacks and generally live very frugally but I've amazed myself at how much I can give my children by looking in the right places, and making savings on usually pricey items.

Is it possible that the debts could well be for things bought for (or to provide for) the child?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)