Benefit advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5168 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right ill try to keep this brief instead of writing an essay.

My husband was working for a company doing pat testing, he worked all over the uk and did normally 50+ hours a week and had to stay away from home sometimes. He applied for another job as a maintance manager 12 miles away from where we live and although he didnt get it they offered him a maintance assistant job. He was told it was £6 an hour for 39 hours a week paid monthly. He accepted it even tho we knew we were going to loose out on money as his other job was £7 an hour. He took this new job because his old boss was a bit of a twit (putting it nicely) and my husband hated working there.

Now he started his new job last monday to be told that the pay was weekly and £5.80 by the other staff and the maintance manager confirmed this. The general manager is off as his dad has died so cant get hold of him. Now i know he should have got it all in writing about it being £6 an hour and paid monthly but he didnt so nothing we can do about it.

Anyway i wondered where he would stand if he left regarding benefits.

You see the problem is with the job he has once he has paid tax and nat.insurance (going off £5.80 an hour) we would not have enough money to cover our bills never mind feed and clothe our 2 children (2 years and 5 months old). We get working and child tax credit but even with these it still doesnt cover it. But if he was claiming job seekers we would get out council tax and rent paid for.

Please no one start about him being lazy or whatever for wanting to leave his job, he is a very hard working man. He has worked since he left college at 17 and has always had a job. He doesnt have many qualifications but he does hold a digger license but no one wants to take him on as he is only 26 and doesnt have years and years of experience of working on somewhere like a building site for example.

We toyed with the idea of me going out to work and him staying at home but i have not worked for nearly 3 years now. I was in my final year of a nursing diploma when i fell pregnant with my eldest at the age of 26, i was very poorly and had to end my university course. No one now seems to want to take me on as i have been out of work.

Just looking for some advice.

Thanks

If he left his job JSA could sanction his benefit for up to 26 weeks. They can do this where a person has voluntarily left employment. It is not something they will definately do, but is something that they do in most cases where a person has left their job without what JSA determine as "good cause". Is this a risk that your family could take, as you would need to consider how you would support yourself in absence of the JSA payment. Hardship can be claimed, but there is no guarantee that this would be awarded.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Agree with Erika. Have you had a benefit check to see if anything changes with the reduction in income? You maay get a little more tax credits, you may not and the same applies for housing benefit. Always worth checking.