Jump to content

Would me and my partner be able to claim any income based benefit if we rejoined full-time education as adults?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi all, I am struggling to get advice on this particular topic so any input is most helpful.

I am 25, partner is 24 now but will be 25 at time of starting course. We would be undertaking a one year full time adult college course that would enable us to go on to higher education at uni. I am aware that we wouldn't be entitled to much at uni because of student loans etc but for the 1 year college course, if we both worked part time as well, would we be able to claim any kind of benefit to help with rent/housing costs or maybe working tax credits? I am currently classed as disabled, but undergoing treatment so hopefully won't be in a few months (i claim contribution based ESA and DLA) and partner is searching for work but is not claiming JSA at present. We live together independantly - no children and currently receive LHA and Council Tax Benefit. - any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you both become full time students you will not be liable for Council Tax. You will need to get confirmation of your student status from your College/Uni and hand this in to the Council.


If you are still classed as disabled then you may be entitled to LHA while a full time student.


You would not be able to claim JSA but may be able to keep claiming ESA if you are still classed as disabled.


If you are disabled and work 16 hours or more a week or if you are over 25 and work 30 hours or more a week then you may be entitled to WTC.


The rule usually for income based benefits is if you are a full time student and not disabled and do not have dependant children then you will not be eligible for these benefits.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...