quick question re dangerous dogs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

in laws neighbour has just had her pet rabbit killed by a dog

the dog in question is to best guesses an american pitbull type and has had to jump about 4 fences to get to her garden

shes now afraid to let the kids out to play for a fear of if the dog comes back

she knows which house he has come from but is afraid to confront the owner as he is well known as selling drugs in the area and has several prison sentances to his name.

all i can think of off the top of my head and im not sure if it applies is part 3(b) of the dangerous dogs act as it was on private land and there is fear of an attack

however she has already rung police,rspca and the council and has got a "its not our problem" off all of the three

so down to questions

whos problem is it, i.e. who do we report it to?

does that section of the dangerous dog act apply?

i know it used to be the case but not sure if it still is is she entitled to ask police presence when she talks to the owner to ensure there is no breach of the peace?

any other suggestions?

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

yep council houses, main reason im asing is my mother in law looks after the daughter while im at work and im not happy with this dog 5 gardens down from her, if it can jump 4 fences it can jump another

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

ill take it someone at autolinkers having a laugh with the link btw

Please note:

I can't believe all the places that were contacted said, it's not their problem. It's unfortunate what happened to the rabbit, but at the end of the day, it's not the dog that's the problem, it's the owner. Irresponsible owners are what makes the dogs uncontrollable.

For a dog to jump over four fences to get to the yard to kill the rabbit is inexcusable. I am totally with you when you say you fear for your daughter in the yard. Unfortunately, the owners who are known for drug selling, etc. use their dog as a trophy and a weapon.

I'm really not sure what you can do about it, as if the owner is as bad as you say, they have no morals or respect, and can make peoples lives difficult. Will the police listen if the dog attacks someone? Of course. If the dog is an american pit bull, then that is a banned breed, but the owners get away with it if it is bred with a different breed.

I'd do as Buzby says and contact the council. I'm assuming the owner rents the property? If so, the council can do something about it.

As i say, it's the owners. I don't want to sound like I'm on a moral crusade, but I own a rottweiler, and I have to endure people crossing over the road, people staring like she's going to attack, when she is well trained. I knew taking on a dog like a rottie was going to be hard. you have to discipline and train 24 hours a day. Plus, as much as I trust her, I still wouldn't leave her alone with a child or anyone who feels uncomfortable with her, as she is a dog.

I hope the council or someone can pull their finger out and help you out with this. Sorry i couldn't give you the info you much need.

The Police should be able to help. Quite often they want to look into it because people who get these types of dog or train them to be aggressive are often involved in other criminal activity.

In the Council it would be best to speak to the Anti-Social Behaviour Team or the Animal/Dog Warden directly.

I should imagine if this dog has done what it has, then the chances are it has done something else you may be unaware of, but the council may know if someone has reported it.

I'm disgusted by the response that your in-laws neighbour has been given Labrat. Such ignorance and apathy has lead to unnecessary deaths and injuries in the past and you would think that lessons would have been learned by now!! :mad:

I agree with Skonk that it's irresponsible owners to blame here and not animals that are essentially doing what comes naturally to them. However, I would be distraught if anything similar happened to a pet of mine, particularly if it was in the supposed "security" of my own garden.

I would also be inclined to advise your neighbour to complain in writing to the Chief Executive of your local council and also the Chief Constable of your local police force, expressing concern and dismay at the responses that have been received. A copy to the local ward councillor wouldn't go amiss either.

In the mean time, a call to the Dog Warden/Animal Welfare section of the council would be my next immediate move, as suggested by Aviva.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

shes got in touch with the council again and this time they ARE sending someone out so we will have to wait and see

Please note:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/89609-dog-mauled-cat-neighbours.html

Good luck with trying to pursue this. See my link above, I tried to take the owners of 2 Staffs to court for allowing his dogs to roam freely in a communal garden with direct access to the street after my cat was very badly injured.

There were also children playing in this garden and could have very easily been mauled or worse. Still nobody took much notice, not even the Council Dog Warden.

It was only after I was harrassed and verbally abused and intimidated on a daily basis the Police took notice. The Judge ruled on probability and decided not to take in account of witness statements of other residents in the flats. I lost the case.

Please be very careful of these types of people, I know first hand what they are capable of, but glad I did stand up to them. I have since moved!

It's not the animals fault, it's the owners!!!

den3371:p