style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4709 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

thanks for all the advice.

We do rent, am in receipt of council tax/housing benefit. I don't earn much at all. I have 3 children, one under 5 11 and a 16 yr old autistic child, so only one of us can go out to work as someone needs to be home at all times.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I know that was a personal question but - we all want to help.

Go to the TOP person in your local council housing/ homeless department.

Stress your situation and the non - co-operation of the Council /tax recovery team.

Ask them if they can help.

In my council - they did help.

They met with recovery and housing together and explained to recovery (the people demanding that Rossendales collect all outstanding amounts) that if a client could PROVE that they could not pay - there was no point in being so ruthless.

HOWEVER - they expected a sensible plan for payment in the end - with a Financial /statement to prove it. (That's why I said go to a free agency and get them to provide a CFS)

Edited by Sniktar
wording

thanks for all the advice.

We do rent, am in receipt of council tax/housing benefit. I don't earn much at all. I have 3 children, one under 5 11 and a 16 yr old autistic child, so only one of us can go out to work as someone needs to be home at all times.

Thank-you! Will post after I've eaten...

A happy Rae.

Good to read that Rae is happy! That hopefully means we are all singing from the same sheet!

I do not know your full situation but:

Do you get Council Tax benefit? If not -ask them if you should!

If you do - why do you owe them money?

Are you getting all the benefits you are entitled to? Go to a website like entitledto.com

Fill in the information and see if there are others things you can claim under your circumstances.

Are you sure that the council knows your full circumstancs?

Edited by Sniktar
spelling

Has the bailiff been in the house before? VERY important. DO NOT LET HIM IN! ever! never let them in. if they dont come in there is nothing they can do. go on to your councils website and opt for pay council tax online. Pu in the reference which should be the same on the letter as the counil has for you and pay what you can. Write to the council that the bailiff is being unreasonable and you refuse to deal with them anylonger. you are paying the council X amount with the last payment of X on X. they cannot refuse payment.

and the bailiff was lying, the CAB CAN help you. he is just saying that to make you pay.

Bailiffs always take their extortionate costs off first so takes longer to pay the council.

dont let him in. dont pay him. dont speak to him. send the letter as ploddertom said. and park your car away for the moment. Keep windows and doors locked. Bailiffs can break into sheds etc but cannot force entry to your property unless they have been in before.

and dont sign anything!!!

Hi, mand p,

You have an autistic child. This is highly relevant as it places you in the vulnerable category of the National Standards for Enforcement Agents. :

Department for Constitutional Affairs - Enforcement - National Standards for Enforcement Agents

Those who might be considered vulnerable include the following:

the elderly;

people with a disability;

the seriously ill;

the recently bereaved;

single parent families;

pregnant women;

unemployed people; and,

those who have obvious difficulty in understanding, speaking or reading English.

These standards apply to the household. Whilst they are not law, they are the standards that the council, the bailiff, the courts should be working to. They all know about it but many try to forget about them.

The bailiff should have assessed your situation and handed the case back to the council accordingly.

This is to minimise stress and a situation which may prove detrimental to your son.

I wrote a letter regarding an autistic child in the last 24hrs or so, I'll amend it for you shortly.

Best wishes

Rae.

[now you know why I'm happy...I like to help the vulnerable :)]

Edited by RaeUK
type o

just reading through, if you have a child who is autistic, it may mean your classed as vunerable person. can someone confirm?

Think you'll find Rae will be here shortly

PT

ps - must get faster fingers

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I'll not let him in...he'll have to get past my large dogs first lol. I'll park car somewhere else and I will pay direct to council. I will also go to the council office on Monday and I'll not move until they sort this. I know I got myself into this debt, and I know I have to pay it (which I am doing), nothing will make me happier than to pay it off once and for all...and never have to deal with such awful people again. I just feel for those people that don't know about this website.....it is a scary situation to be in not having anyone to turn to....

Don't leave the council office until you have spoken to a SENIOR person in recovery OR try going first to a SENIOR person in housing. They MAY be able to help your fight!!!!

Pay something - all the time - to show you mean it - goodwill. You want to pay!

Any court, anywhere, will take that into consideration.

BUT - go to some agency like CAB and get a Common Financial Statement to show you really can NOT afford to pay more.

Hi mand p, there is several things to be done. You are under no obligation to follow this, it is simply how I would operate.

In the first instance email the bailiff company with the following letter or your variation. Post hard copy by mail signed for.

Dear Sir

Reference number:

I am writing with regard to the above account relating to Council Tax Arrears.

It would appear, from advice that I have received, my circumstances are classed as 'vulnerable' according to the National Standards for Enforcement Agents. The reason for this is that my son has autism.

I will be contacting my GP in order to obtain evidence of my families medical conditions for you.

In the meantime, please visit the following site for further information:

What is Autistic Spectrum Disorder? - DWP

As the current situation is having an aggravated and detrimental affect on him, I am requesting that the case is returned to the initiating Local Authority. Doing so would allow me to address the issue rationally, without fear, whilst putting in place an affordable and sustainable payment plan.

I also request that, in the interim period, no further visits be made to my home as they impact adversely on my sons health.

I would be grateful if you would please confirm safe receipt of this letter.

A copy of this letter has also been sent to XXX Council for their information.

Yours faithfully.

Please note: this correspondence is being sent by both electronic and conventional mail.

The bailiff has the ability to pass the case back to the council. It is best to try them first. However, copy the email and letter to the council for their information. You will need to provide medical support for your childs condition. Your GP should be able to assist. Send that to the bailiff and a copy to the council.

Whilst this trundles its way through, write an official complaint to the CEO of the council. The bailiff is his contractor. Mark it FORMAL COMPLAINT. In that letter you need to mention the vulnerable category and complain that the bailiff did not assess your situation as they should have done as well as refusing payment now.

This letter should be sent signed for at your earliest convenience or hand delivered and a receipt gained.

If you require help with the letter let us know or I can draft an example for you.

If the bailiff comes back negatively then you have evidence to make a further formal complaint as the bailiff is not following his own guidelines. If you are not happy with the CEOs response you now have plenty of evidence to make a higher complaint to the relevant ombudsman.

You can also enlist the aid of your local councilor and MP at any time.

Best wishes

Rae.

Edited by RaeUK
typo

I think it has already been suggested but will say again contact your local Councillor. Doesn't matter it is the weekend that is what they are there for. Explain all to him/her, invite them round and show them this site so they can see for themselves what their constituents face. He has access to all the right people at the Council and can get this resolved very quickly, especially if you play the "vulnerable" bit.

If he says he's not interested ask if that is a quote he will give the local paper and how it will look come election time. Do not be frightened to use some raw emotion.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]