• Tweets

• Please see my comments on your post in red
    • Thanks for your reply, I have another 3 weeks before the notice ends. I'm also concerned because the property has detoriated since I've been here due to mould, damp and rusting (which I've never seen in a property before) rusty hinges and other damage to the front door caused by damp and mould, I'm concerned they could try and charge me for damages? As long as you've documented and reported this previously you'll have a right to challenge any costs. There was no inventory when I moved in, I also didn't have to pay a deposit. Do an inventory when you move out as proof of the property's condition as you leave it. I've also been told that if I leave before a possession order is given I would be deemed intentionally homeless, is this true? If you leave, yes. However, Your local council has a legal obligation to ensure you won't be left homeless as soon as you get the notice. As stated before, you don't have to leave when the notice expires if you haven't got somewhere else to go. Just keep paying your rent as normal. Your tenancy doesn't legally end until a possession warrant is executed against you or you leave and hand the keys back. My daughter doesn't live with me, I'd likely have medical priority as I have health issues and I'm on pip etc. Contact the council and make them aware then.      
    • extension? you mean enforcement. after 6yrs its very rare for a judge to allow enforcement. it wont have been sold on, just passed around the various differing trading names the claimant uses.    
    • You believe you have cast iron evidence. However, all they’d have to do to oppose a request for summary judgment is to say “we will be putting forward our own evidence and the evidence from both parties needs to be heard and assessed by a judge” : the bar for summary judgment is set quite high! You believe they don't have evidence but that on its own doesn't mean they wouldn't try! so, its a high risk strategy that leaves you on the hook for their costs if it doesn't work. Let the usual process play out.
    • Ok, I don't necessarily want to re-open my old thread but I've seen a number of such threads with regards to CCJ's and want to ask a fairly general consensus on the subject. My original CCJ is 7 years old now and has had 2/3 owners for the debt over the years since with varying level of contact.  Up to last summer they had attempted a charging order on a shared mortgage I'm named on which I defended that action and tried to negotiate with them to the point they withdrew the charging order application pending negotiations which we never came to an agreement over.  However, after a number of communication I heard nothing back since last Autumn barring an annual generic statement early this year despite multiple messages to them since at the time.  at a loss as to why the sudden loss of response from them. Then something came through from this site at random yesterday whilst out that I can't find now with regards to CCJ's to read over again.  Now here is the thing, I get how CCJ's don't expire as such, but I've been reading through threads and Google since this morning and a little confused.  CCJ's don't expire but can be effectively statute barred after 6 years (when in my case was just before I last heard of the creditor) if they are neither enforced in that time or they apply to the court within the 6 years of issue to extend the CCJ and that after 6 years they can't really without great difficulty or explanation apply for a CCJ extension after of the original CCJ?.  Is this actually correct as I've read various sources on Google and threads that suggest there is something to this?.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Is this enforceable? comments please

foxyflugel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5053 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Looks enforceable to me, it is a valid copy of the agreement. It is signed by someone. Under the latest OFT guidance an unsigned copy is not necessary. A reconstitutes agreement is OK.

Suggest you lok up OFT1175con for further details, page 29 gives the Short English Version.

regards

ieuan

The latest guidlines state that the bank does not have to provide a photocopy, a signature or a proper copy if there was a properly executed agreement at the time. They need only provide a reconstituted copy, they can even type up a copy as long as it is legible.

If they have lost the original copy they can state that it is a reconstituted copy and that they always provided properly executed agreements at that time.

However, the good news is that if they never did have a porperly executed argreement then they cannot reconstitute a copy. If the do reconstitute a copy they have to say so. And if they have lost the original agreement but are certain there was one propely signed then they can argue that the reconstituted copy complies with the act.

I suggets you down load OFT1175con, print it out and read thoroughly.

I think I am right in this as I have the copy here in front of me.

Page 31 says: do not be misled into thinking that information requests are a way to make your debts go away.

Don't take it out on me I am only the messenger.

regards

Ieaun

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at what they are purporting to be an agreement again, what do you see written along the top?

'Moisten Along This Gummed Edge To Seal'

Therefore at least one half of the reverse must contain the banks address to return it to..... It doesn't leave much space to contain the prescribed terms let alone any of the other conditions. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

What about Cerberusalert's comments?????? I think he has a good point there. Having read for hours on this site - are the key details not meant to be on the back of the application form?? Or have i got it wrong???

The prescribed terms must be within the 'four corners' of the agreement & they certainly are not within the signed document see comment in post #8

However, a document legally is not defined to be defined 1 piece of paper! It can be multiple ones that are not physically connected too.

Even if you disagree: I think the first image is the back page and the 2nd the front page of the agreement, the rest is a seperate group of paper? It's hard to read, so you need to look at the prescribed terms in the top two and see what is missing, I can see things like interest rates, right to cancel, signatures, corporate address which are some key prescribed terms.

The first image wouldn't fit on the back of image #2 because image #2 is a prepaid reply form which must be folded in two, sealed & posted back. Unless NatWest have managed to change the laws of Physics where the back of a document is bigger than the front, no way could it be the reverse.

The first image wouldn't fit on the back of image #2 because image #2 is a prepaid reply form which must be folded in two, sealed & posted back. Unless NatWest have managed to change the laws of Physics where the back of a document is bigger than the front, no way could it be the reverse.

It could be like 3/4 pages together that fold onto each other to make an envelope, as you pointed out with the instructions to fold the page

like [x]-[x]-[x]

It states quite clearly "moisten this edge to seal", top & both sides... there is no mention of fold a + b + c or fold here & here. Besides, if the OP measured both those sheets I bet they are different sizes.

Eitherway, this is a moot point considering the Courts have in some instances found that a "document" need not be pages physically connected. The question becomes whether the OP was given all this info at the point they signed the agreement and if not whether they can make a convincing argument so that it'd stand up in Court.

It is not a moot point at all, CCA 1974 stipulates that the prescribed terms must be within the four corners of the signed agreement & although that agreement can cover several pages they must be linked in some way i.e page numbered otherwise a lender can reconstruct any rubbish.

Since this document does not contain the required prescribed terms it is rendered unenforceable by s127 (3) consumer Credit Act 1974, which states

127(3) The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a)(signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner).

This situation is backed by case law from the Lords of Appeal in Ordinary (House of Lords) the highest court in the land. Your attention is drawn to the authority of the House of Lords in Wilson-v- FCT [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) which confirms that where a document does not contain the required terms under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 the agreement cannot be enforced.

I would hate the person involved to go to court and then find out it is an acceptable copy of the contract with terms.

I would suggest the person read OFT1175con Guidance on Sections 77/78/79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 the duty to give information to the debtor (debtor means the borrower) and the consequences of non-compliance on the enforcebility of the agreement.

Part 2

The Plain English Guide to the Agreement

(page 2)

The lender needs to send you an accurate copy this means it doesn not have to be a photo copy of a carbon copy or a micro film copy, it can even be a typed copy of the original agreement.

It does not need to be a signed copy

It can be a recreated copy but in this case the Bank has to tell you it is recreated

The lender also has to give you copies of any documents that are refered to in the agreement

The copy must be provided within 12 working days

This Guidance was issued by the OFT on January 2010 and although it is only a consultational document it operates as a code of condcut for the industry and if you go to court the Judge will refer to it as it is based on case law.

I have looked at the agreement carefully and it seems a very accurate copy of your agreement to me. I would draw your attention to sections 1.14 and 1.15 of the guidance notes and they clearly define the purpose of this legislation, i.e. it is intended for information only and not for avoiding debt. The OFT refer to Carey vs HSDBC Bank plc[2009] EWHC 3417 (QB).

My advice is to make very sure of why you are going to court if you feel you havebeen badly treated at all explain in yout complaint to the bank and explore ways to develop your argument, ometimes theyy make offers just to get rid of the mess.

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies.

I was just looking at this again after reading your invaluable advice. On the application form - this was just one sheet that you folded in half and stuck down around the edges to make an envelope.

With regards to the reverse - as Cerberusalert says - half of it is the return address. The piece that they have sent (supposed to be the other half I suppose) - if you look on the right hand side of the address bit - it is actually connected (or looks like it) to something else and the bits don't look like they are the t & cs on the same page. :-o

Comments??????? Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

No - still paying it. Just wanted to find out for definite (or as near as) whether it was enforceable or not. Still don't know what to do (IF it is unenforceable) as my mortgage and accounts are with Natwest and I don't want them to demand all the borrowing back - what are the chances of them doing this over a credit card account?? :eek:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any ideas on this?? I have missed the last 2 months payments as cannot afford to pay it. Don't want them to start being difficult with my accounts and mortgage though - what are the chances of this happening if I put this account into dispute??

• 2 weeks later...

reclaim the PPI.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...