Reporting Fraud

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5214 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've noticed that a number of DCAs have started to resort to what, in my humble opinion, is fraud these days. Making up phantom payments to try an con a victim into believing that n alleged debt is not Stat Barred, or phantom CCJs, for example.

Then yesterday, Radio 4's "You & Yours" programme had an item about a new centralised fraud reporting service. It starts 11 mins 30 secs in:

BBC iPlayer Console - You and Yours: 04/02/2010

It is also interesting to note that the police are pretty much openly admitting hat they don't normally investigate fraud, because it is not on our beloved government's "target" list :mad: Nevertheless, it might be another avenue that we could pursue, at the same time as reporting a DCA to Trading Standards and the OFT.

The new site is here:

Home | actionfraud

Any comments or thoughts, Caggers?

• Haha 1

Thanks for sharing that H&P

Another possible weapon and not far from me so I could walk round and say hello :p

R

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] I asked them to wait whilst I got my Bank card :violin:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=

Guest Cartaphilus

Agree with Nailpost. I've been very concerned through my own experiences of debt collecting agencies for a while now, about the various tactics and one which I am experiencing right now. The DCA isn't making a record of payments received by standing order. So, surely, that is also a fraud because all details duplicated off the standing order details the DCA provided aren't incorret because the payment(s) would surely bounce back if incorrect? A trend I've worringly noticed, a failure to maintain basic book keeping of payments received. Surely that must be an offense? Being accountable to the various people end of the financial year for one. Yet I know they are receiving payments because I can see the balance reduction each letter.

As to the other things, definitely agree. If only having viewed programmes like Watchdog, Martin Lewis's own ITV programme.

It is good that it's being highlighted, albeit not maybe receiving the high level of media exposure it should be eg headline news so it's then a major issue that needs looking into.

Edited by Cartaphilus

If the DCA is a limited company then there is another tack to try. I would report the matter to Companies House with the suggestion that income isn't being properly recorded and the accounts might therefore be misstated.

Our friends at HMRC will naturally want to investigate any instances of tax evasion, so you might like to contact their helpline as well.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

The theft act has been used to acuse the four MPs of fraudulently claiming on their expenses. The charge sounds very much like what debt collectors do - perhaps we should be ganging up on plod and the cps etc to use this legislation to force the cretins to comply and behave or face the ultimate sanction.