• Tweets

• Last June, 3.4m members received a £100 payment from the building society. Now they will be wondering whether the offer will be replicated this year.View the full article
    • Write to the IPC complaining that UKPC have not observed the requirements of PoFA . IPC  Waterside House, Macclesfield SK10 9NR Dear IPC, I am writing to complain about a serious breach of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 by UKPCM. I feel that as it is more a breach of the Act rather than not just  complying with your Code of Practice which is why I am bypassing your operator. Should you decide to insist that I first complain to your operator, I will instead pass over my complaint to the ICO and the DVLA . My story starts with being issued a windscreen PCN on 8/3/24 which was almost immediately removed and a second  PCN was then  sent by post on 13/3/24  [deemed delivered 15/3/24] which I did not receive and had to send an sar to have that particular mess revealed later  but that is not the reason for my complaint. UKPC then sent a Keeper Liability Notice dated 12/4/24 warning me that as 28 days have now elapsed, I as keeper am now liable for the charge.  This is in direct contravention of PoFA since the keeper does not become liable to pay until the day after the original PCN is deemed to have been given which would have been 13/4/24 -a Saturday ]. Not only does it not comply with PoFA but it fails to adhere to your Code of Practice and is in breach of their agreement with the DVLA. You will be aware that this is not the first time that UKPC have fallen foul of the DVLA and presumably yourselves. I have included copies of both Notices for information. You will realise the seriousness of this situation if this is standard practice from the UKPC to all motorists or just those where windscreen tickets are involved since the Law regarding PoFA is being abused and is unfair to misguide motorists. I await your  response which I understand will usually be within a week. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I would think that should be sufficient for the IPC to cancel your PCN though  you should await comments from the Site team before sending your complaint. Don't forget to include both PCNs.  
    • Hi DX, Sorry, fell asleep as I was up all night last night writing that statement. Yes, I attached the rest of the witness statement on post 50, bottom of webpage 2. That's the important part.  It looks like the lawyer who wrote Erudio's Witness statement does not work for them any more. So, I'll have another lawyer representing instead. Not sure if I can use Andy's hearsay argument verbally if that happens.... I did not put it in writing. Apart from not sending deferral forms, my main argument is that in 2014 Erudio fixed some arrears mistake that SLC made and then in 2018 they did the same mistake, sent me confusing letters. What is the legal defence when they send you confusing material?
    • Chinese firm MineOne Partners has been ordered to sell land it owns near a US nuclear missile site.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3906 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

no my loan was for 3 year interest free.. I signed up mid December.. got no training because I was out of the country until 18th January first payment came out of my account on the 15th of january.. I made 2 payments before I asked them to stop taking money from my account.. so I had paid two payments of £151.48

Mine was for three years interest free

Thanks 10pack. Have Hausfeld got a copy of this ? Forgive my daft question - if not would you please let Ingrid have a copy? Thanks.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks 10pack. Have Hausfeld got a copy of this ? Forgive my daft question - if not would you please let Ingrid have a copy? Thanks.

yes already sent out.. what about these letter from mercers.. they arrive unsealed no way they came unstuck.. obviously designed to embarress because the post man can see

Hausfeld's first letter states...

"We note that in a number of loan agreements, the APR charged by BPF was 29.8%. In other similar loan agreements, the APR was 5.91%. We have seen no evidence that these charges for credit were individually negotiated (or if they were, on what basis). We are also not aware, to date, of any obvious reason for the disparity in treatment. Furthermore, in the circumstances, we believe that a court would find an APR of 29.8% to be unfair within the meaning of section 140A of the CCA 1974."

But I've also seen people state here and on FB that they were given a 0% interest loan (though I can't imagine that Barclays or any lender come to think of it would do that). I'm guessing here that the posters got confused and were actually given an interest free loan for a limited period, as I was, for a year only. THEN the 26% interest would have kicked in but I'd paid mine off from savings before the year was up.

There's usually a catch to an interest free loan in that you get snagged by BIG % interest once that honeymoon period is over. I calculated I'd be able to pay it back before that deadline. I think Barclays/Advent were counting on many not being able to repay in that time limit but were happy still to lend to people desperate to borrow in order to try and get a qualification and better themselves. The fact that BPF agreed all these unsuitable loans pushed through by the Advent salespeople without proper credit checks etc (they lent, afterall, to part-time workers who'd have been scraping pennies to pay back each month) shows how mis-sold it all was and greedy grabbing.

That makes what they are doing all the more despicable somehow. :mad:

i have 0% over five yrs, however it doesn't make me feel any better at the moment. Sent to Ingrid long time ago.

Edited by panliberski
why not?

did you notice that they were left deliberately open with "debt collecting agency" for all to see..

who writes letters and does not seal the envelopes??

I think they are not allowed to do this its harrassment

were these letters recorded delivery, if not then you did not get them did you. if they send recorded delivery, don't sign for them. see what happens then

Lowdown - can you please send a copy of this letter to Ingrid Gubbay (our lawyer)?

Could be a crucial confession! :roll:

Thanks.

PM me if you'd prefer. :)

I'd imagine "relevant authorities" just refers to the ex employee(s) that hacked in the system to get everyones personal details.

I'd imagine "relevant authorities" just refers to the ex employee(s) that hacked in the system to get everyones personal details.

That quote was from the part of the letter regarding account in dispute.

As for the Gospel letter, BPF are doing an internal investigation into that [Their words].

Personally after dealing with BPF for four months and experiencing their

Incompetence level of the highest degree, they would have trouble naming the seven days of the week , let alone get to the bottom of Database hacking.:-)

That quote was from the part of the letter regarding account in dispute.

As for the Gospel letter, BPF are doing an internal investigation into that [Their words].

Personally after dealing with BPF for four months and experiencing their

Incompetence level of the highest degree, they would have trouble naming the seven days of the week , let alone get to the bottom of Database hacking.:-)

I would suspect that they would take someone hacking into their databse more seriously than complying with moral and legal code with regards to their customers!

I would suspect that they would take someone hacking into their databse more seriously than complying with moral and legal code with regards to their customers!

I would like to think the two things went hand in hand if they took anything seriously.

Hi guys, seems I'm in the same position as a lot of you.

I was unemployed when I signed up to Advent, my dad had to help me out with the finance with Barclays (as my credit is non-existent). So the money comes out of his account every month but still costs me 200 a month!

I've switched to Computeach as the letter in January seemed to suggest no other option (join or pay the 9k for nothing!)

I have no previous qualifications in IT aside from a GCSE from 2001 (hence why I wanted to update my web design skills..Front Page 98 isnt exactly the shizzle anymore :smile: )

I am not happy with being lumbered with Computeach..like a lot of you I researched them before looking into Advent..to put it bluntly IF I WANTED TO USE COMPUTEACH I WOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

Fuzz you are a legend! I'm so glad I've found this discussion, I will e-mail you personally tonight and send anything you need for evidence, havent looked at the contracts etc. at dads yet, interested to see if the signitures are on them.

Good luck to us all!

I could certainly do with the 3.5 k ive already paid back and to be 200 up a month!

hi,

this is my first post, prompted by the fact i am (well my parents) are now due to go to court with bpf. it appears, rather than kindly settle out of the smallclaims court, bpf are to contest the claim. i was a little surprised due to whispers of succesful claims.

we decided to go to court on the advice of, amongst others the head of trading standards from a local authority (he seemed ****ed with how ignorant bpf have been when questioned) and the other reason was after 6 months break i am not about to start with computeach because advent were bad enough and they look worse

I'm gonna check my contract for signiatures, but aside from the standard training days, guarenteed employment from free recruitment service, lack of ccna courses (just got letter stating they now do them), even worse reviews than advent - quite an achievement! - also my parents have been sent 2 letters from barclays with the wrong names and wrong account numbers which i am sure is a dpa issue

i would like to find out all the potential grounds which you guys are using as the basis for claims which directly relate to the difference in standards of providers. personally i think 3 months to switch should be sufficient to constitute a breach in the agreement.

any advice would be really appreciated and i will, of course keep you posted. as we stand barclays have 28 days to submit their defence

thanks

hi,

this is my first post, prompted by the fact i am (well my parents) are now due to go to court with bpf. it appears, rather than kindly settle out of the smallclaims court, bpf are to contest the claim. i was a little surprised due to whispers of succesful claims.

we decided to go to court on the advice of, amongst others the head of trading standards from a local authority (he seemed ****ed with how ignorant bpf have been when questioned) and the other reason was after 6 months break i am not about to start with computeach because advent were bad enough and they look worse

I'm gonna check my contract for signiatures, but aside from the standard training days, guarenteed employment from free recruitment service, lack of ccna courses (just got letter stating they now do them), even worse reviews than advent - quite an achievement! - also my parents have been sent 2 letters from barclays with the wrong names and wrong account numbers which i am sure is a dpa issue

i would like to find out all the potential grounds which you guys are using as the basis for claims which directly relate to the difference in standards of providers. personally i think 3 months to switch should be sufficient to constitute a breach in the agreement.

any advice would be really appreciated and i will, of course keep you posted. as we stand barclays have 28 days to submit their defence

thanks

Wow you are well advanced.. how did you manage to get it to this stage? was it you that pushed things?

I'd be surprised if it was Barclays, from what I can see they seem to be happy bullying us into paying, because I think they are scared to get us near a court because they know they are on dodgey ground.

I really think we will all be rooting for you.. since a win for you gives us more nails to hammer in the coffin that Barclays have made for themselves.

We are supposed to be their customers and this is how they treat us, I wonder what they would do if we were not?.

I beggers belief that for a few quid they have stiched themselves up in this situation.. because it is their doing no one elses.

Hey all. Recieved a letter through post from Barclays. Basically Its a second final response? It states that by them providing computeach they have fulfilled their obligations in regards to section 75 and also means I cant dispute my account. I will be sending a copy of this letter of to Hausfeld.

it was us that pushed. we send a number of letters, worded each time more strongly leading to a deadline of 2 weeks before we proceeded with court action. nothin came back from them other than "we are looking into and will come back to you".

also, with lots of unhappy students talking to and writing to bpf they will be looking into all the grounds for appeal and covering all the potential areas of liability until they have a comprehensive defence. with this in mind action sooner rather than later could give me more of fighting chance? (although i could be completely wrong - i guess it depends on your contract and the evidence submitted) my worries are alot of the complaints surrounding service levels and break in training which has effectively been covered by computeach's extension are either irrelevant in the letter of the law (although it is clearly unfair) or subjective.

i need to make sure i know all the key differences which are facts - training days, accreditations, duration etc.

any advice is really welcomed - i would love to come back in a month with 5k, a win and something of a president for anyone else who wants to claim

it was us that pushed. we send a number of letters, worded each time more strongly leading to a deadline of 2 weeks before we proceeded with court action. nothin came back from them other than "we are looking into and will come back to you".

also, with lots of unhappy students talking to and writing to bpf they will be looking into all the grounds for appeal and covering all the potential areas of liability until they have a comprehensive defence. with this in mind action sooner rather than later could give me more of fighting chance? (although i could be completely wrong - i guess it depends on your contract and the evidence submitted) my worries are alot of the complaints surrounding service levels and break in training which has effectively been covered by computeach's extension are either irrelevant in the letter of the law (although it is clearly unfair) or subjective.

i need to make sure i know all the key differences which are facts - training days, accreditations, duration etc.

any advice is really welcomed - i would love to come back in a month with 5k, a win and something of a president for anyone else who wants to claim

Remember the extras BPF are supposedly offering advent/BPF customers are only available to view after you have signed up with computeach.. then you are hooked.. and they can tell you anything.. its unfair practise and should not be allowed but BPF are doing what they like they still behave as if we are only one customer.. they forget or dont want to know they have thousands of very ****ed off customers and we now have the power of the internet we keep each other informed of what they are doing.

Good Luck

Reported the ex barclays employee letter to the FSA and had a phone call from the FSA today - they are going to investigate which can result in big fat fine for Barclays.

Also sent the story to the Mirror, have spoken to them and they should hopefully be running the story as long as the legalailty around it is ok.

Reported the ex barclays employee letter to the FSA and had a phone call from the FSA today - they are going to investigate which can result in big fat fine for Barclays.

Also sent the story to the Mirror, have spoken to them and they should hopefully be running the story as long as the legalailty around it is ok.

FSA told me to send them a copy of the letter [to me] from BPF admitting

the Database breach.They did not mention to me about the fine,but did say if it was widespread and proven there could be serious implications.

Tricky situation regarding the ex-employee but it was only info that was freely available on the net.The fact that the database was hacked is far more serious for BPF than hearsay from the web.Not sure if this will help the case as far as S75 goes,but it displays the whole mess BPF have created over the Advent demise due to them.

Hello one & all, The day has finally arrived and day means that C!*tlys want £5000 from me... Whats everyone doing are you paying installments or tuffing it out.. Has anyone managed to get there account put on hold while the solicitior loks into the case.. Any advice would be most helpful....

hi all i got a reply from the F.O today, it reads as follows.

" Thank you for sending us details of your complaint.

It would appear that Clydesdale Financial Services LTD have not issued

there final response on your complaint even though they have had the

required eight weeks in which to do so.

It may be possible for them to issue their final response shortly;we have

therefore contacted Clydesdale Financial Services LTD and requested that

they issue their final response letter within the next 14 days.

We will contact you again upon receipt of the final response from Clydesdale

Financial Services LTD or when the 14 day time limit has expired.

Does this mean there on my side and barclays just F%£@ed up ?

Hi JM10

If you want to have a read of the student site I set up and lift anything from there, please do (you're welcome to register on it too, even if you don't opt for the group action as obviously you're doing your own thing).

external link removed

Please do keep us posted on how it all goes. Good luck.

I kept replying to BPF and demanding 2 week replies. They just about managed that but when I and my local Trading Standards had the same fob-off letter I decided to initiate this group action as we seemed to be banging our heads against a wall. Yes, BPF's arrogance (evident in the patronising reply Noble gave to Bristol Trading Standards as his 'final word' when they wrote on my behalf) is amazing.

They'll hang themselves with their own rope now though.

Edited by IdaInFife
external link removed

I just received "final" answer from Barclays regarding account in dispute. Basically they assured me that Computeach is like for like and they have (Barclays) "taken steps to ensure that Computeach will meet the original terms and conditions provided to you by Advent"... - it looks like confirmation for their tactics to "adjust" Compucrap offer to fit with Advent.

In addition: bla bla bla... "...you have not been able to provide us with any evidence that the training now being offered is materially different to the training to which you subscribed under the Agreement and therefore have failed to indentify any basis on which you may reasonably refuse to accept the alternative training offered"... I basically boiled after reading that sentence. So after you buy red coat they offer blue blouse, and its yours business to prove that is not like for like?....

And again I have 8 weeks to answer this crap.

Fuzz, shall I put all my arguments in next letter (but than it will cause answer similiar to last letter from Hogan Lovells), or just leave it with our legal team?

Simply its impossible to prove anything, since whatever difference we raise they say "no its changed especially for ex-Advent students":mad:. However what about 3 months lost (Jan - April) or 6 (up to now), excluding Computeach in process of choosing Advent, promised job (3 months, pass CompTIA lvl, 20-25k job), lack of proper credit check - i was out of job end of Jan, and salesman was informed, etc.... And finally what about my basic right to say NO. Thank you very much, but after all of this I do not wish to be offered alternative doubtful provider at all?

What you think guys?

Remember the extras BPF are supposedly offering advent/BPF customers are only available to view after you have signed up with computeach.. then you are hooked.. and they can tell you anything.. its unfair practise and should not be allowed but BPF are doing what they like they still behave as if we are only one customer.. they forget or dont want to know they have thousands of very ****ed off customers and we now have the power of the internet we keep each other informed of what they are doing.

Good Luck

True, our lawyer's advice was..

"CT must provide upfront information about the course programme before people sign up to take them. They can’t expect people to sign up to a course they know little about then CT are in danger of breaching the unfair terms in contracts act, and other consumer regulations. There needs to be clear and transparent product information BEFORE people sign on. Generally, there seems to be alot of confusion and different bits of information about what people can and can’t do, ie if Advent contract expired then have to pay again. Unless that bit of information was available in the administrators notice to students, or in any of the Advent or Barclays materials or other material then there is a very strong argument that if people were not given the proper notice of the expiration point, then it is not enforceable.

Students who feel under pressure should at the very least;

Demand to know the details of the product CT offers before signing on, and,

Whether they will incur any further financial liability

Have a right to refuse without incurring any loss or penalty

Let CT people know that they were not made aware of the expiration point ,where that is the case, and therefore this may well be legally challengeable."

One poor guy has already found this out to his cost.

I have received a response from the FOS saying that they are "unable to recommend that my complaint should be upheld". They say there is no debtor-creditor-supplier agreement in place, because although I am the debtor in this agreement, as the party liable for the agreement, in order to make a claim under Section 75 I also need to be attending the course that I was funding. The course was being attended by my partner, and not me. Therefore I don't have a direct relationship with both the creditor and the supplier. Therefore they're not upholding my complaint.

True, our lawyer's advice was..

"CT must provide upfront information about the course programme before people sign up to take them. They can’t expect people to sign up to a course they know little about then CT are in danger of breaching the unfair terms in contracts act, and other consumer regulations. There needs to be clear and transparent product information BEFORE people sign on. Generally, there seems to be alot of confusion and different bits of information about what people can and can’t do, ie if Advent contract expired then have to pay again. Unless that bit of information was available in the administrators notice to students, or in any of the Advent or Barclays materials or other material then there is a very strong argument that if people were not given the proper notice of the expiration point, then it is not enforceable.

Students who feel under pressure should at the very least;

Demand to know the details of the product CT offers before signing on, and,

Whether they will incur any further financial liability

Have a right to refuse without incurring any loss or penalty

Let CT people know that they were not made aware of the expiration point ,where that is the case, and therefore this may well be legally challengeable."

One poor guy has already found this out to his cost.

Fuzzbutt, i pretty much said that to BPF in my dispute [ not those exact words] Hence the reply i got [ which you have read]

So i suggest people get that over in their dispute letter.I think that point is at least making BPF slightly question their own misguided thinking.

I just received "final" answer from Barclays regarding account in dispute. Basically they assured me that Computeach is like for like and they have (Barclays) "taken steps to ensure that Computeach will meet the original terms and conditions provided to you by Advent"... - it looks like confirmation for their tactics to "adjust" Compucrap offer to fit with Advent.

In addition: bla bla bla... "...you have not been able to provide us with any evidence that the training now being offered is materially different to the training to which you subscribed under the Agreement and therefore have failed to indentify any basis on which you may reasonably refuse to accept the alternative training offered"... I basically boiled after reading that sentence. So after you buy red coat they offer blue blouse, and its yours business to prove that is not like for like?....

And again I have 8 weeks to answer this crap.

Fuzz, shall I put all my arguments in next letter (but than it will cause answer similiar to last letter from Hogan Lovells), or just leave it with our legal team?

Simply its impossible to prove anything, since whatever difference we raise they say "no its changed especially for ex-Advent students":mad:. However what about 3 months lost (Jan - April) or 6 (up to now), excluding Computeach in process of choosing Advent, promised job (3 months, pass CompTIA lvl, 20-25k job), lack of proper credit check - i was out of job end of Jan, and salesman was informed, etc.... And finally what about my basic right to say NO. Thank you very much, but after all of this I do not wish to be offered alternative doubtful provider at all?

What you think guys?

Personally, I'd just reply you don't want CT and explain briefly why (just so BPF have it in writing) and advise them you are part of the Hausfeld group action.

I didn't even bother writing back to Noble again after his supposed 'final word' and just informed our beloved Wilma I was disgusted at her reply and would now be taking legal advice (the group action was just starting then).

Here's my final letter ....Barclays 5 (1).doc

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3906 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks