Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3908 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have got a letter today.

Did someone receive this letter before?

What you can recommend?

Thank you!

Yep - i did a few weeks back [ Although a different company]

A few things to clarify............

First was there your account number on the letter?

If so..the debt is still with BPF.If the account number changes then it is an outside DCA.But they still have to use the guidelines.

After reading that letter - it seems like its just Mercers up to their old tricks,

Using another name as not to implicate themselves legally.

I got all this info from the National debtline on their site.

Use the below template and write to that company [or Mercers] regarding the letter.Do not stand for threats of doorstep collectors.

Dont call anyone - do it all in recorded letters.They hate paper trails for legal reasons......................

They will only lie and make idiotic threats on the phone

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/590-letter-used-when-a-dca-threatens-a-doorstep-visit-.html

Edited by lowdown

Yep - i did a few weeks back [ Although a different company]

A few things to clarify............

First was there your account number on the letter?

If so..the debt is still with BPF.If the account number changes then it is an outside DCA.But they still have to use the guidelines.

After reading that letter - it seems like its just Mercers up to their old tricks,

Using another name as not to implicate themselves legally.

I got all this info from the National debtline on their site.

Use the below template and write to that company [or Mercers] regarding the letter.Do not stand for threats of doorstep collectors.

Dont call anyone - do it all in recorded letters.They hate paper trails for legal reasons......................

They will only lie and make idiotic threats on the phone

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/590-letter-used-when-a-dca-threatens-a-doorstep-visit-.html

Thanks Lowdown.

I posted the same link at 17.36 by Dron today :)

I do not need to send this letter to them. I will give it to Debt Collectors when they see me at my door step.

By the way, have you seen them since you got the same letter from them ??

Have you registered on this site:

external link removed

?

When you sign Form for Action you acknowledge you are authorising Hausfeld & Co. LLP to act as solicitor on your behalf. Do i have to pay for that to Hausfield? Who knows?

Thanks

Edited by IdaInFife
external link removed

Thanks Lowdown.

I posted the same link at 17.36 by Dron today :)

I do not need to send this letter to them. I will give it to Debt Collectors when they see me at my door step.

By the way, have you seen them since you got the same letter from them ??

Have you registered on this site:

external link removed

?

When you sign Form for Action you acknowledge you are authorising Hausfeld & Co. LLP to act as solicitor on your behalf. Do i have to pay for that to Hausfield? Who knows?

Thanks

Sorry i did not see your post...lol!

Yes i am registered.

No you do not have to pay The legal team.

I have not had any more stuff from the other company.

Infact my account is back with BPF, i kicked up such a s~~t storm with BPF over the database breach, i now get very nice letters.Might be something to do with i have been in touch with the Financial Services Authority & the ICO over the breach.

That database contained more than just names and addresses,it had peoples bank details, in some cases [mine for instance] passport details, and driving licence details, can you imagine what problems that can cause in the wrong hands.

Sorry i did not see your post...lol!

Yes i am registered.

No you do not have to pay The legal team.

I have not had any more stuff from the other company.

Infact my account is back with BPF, i kicked up such a s~~t storm with BPF over the database breach, i now get very nice letters.Might be something to do with i have been in touch with the Financial Services Authority & the ICO over the breach.

That database contained more than just names and addresses,it had peoples bank details, in some cases [mine for instance] passport details, and driving licence details, can you imagine what problems that can cause in the wrong hands.

My account and account I have got from debt collectors are the same.

I will definitely register here external link removed

I do not know how it can help but anyway...

I have open (Barclay) dispute with FOS in February but they are keep silent. No news from them at all. They just say we will keep you informed about this process.

Edited by IdaInFife
external link removed

fuzz,

Are our legal team using the database breach as part of their case? As previous posters have said, this is a serious blunder - potentially exposing our bank details etc.

If they are using this as part of the case, do they need to know exactly who received the 'The Gospel' letter?

Keep up the good work.

fuzz,

Are our legal team using the database breach as part of their case? As previous posters have said, this is a serious blunder - potentially exposing our bank details etc.

Keep up the good work.

Hi Skyblue - as far as i know they are not, it is not really anything to do with the Advent nonsense.

But i had an email from the legal team saying if i had any concerns about the database issue contact the above bodies..so i have for my reasons posted above.[my post 2 or 3 up]

Yes, Lowdown is right there, Skyblue Dave.

I did raise it with our lawyer and she felt it was a side issue really and won't affect the refunding of loans. It could be something the ICO and FSA may be interested in though.

The legal team are looking into the guarantor/debtor issue too so hopefully those affected by that can still take part in this, even if S75 won't apply. Will know more soon.

I received this letter today so have written back with the template letter to Mercers with a copy to Resolvecall.

For the benefit of those on the receiving end of Barclays/Mercers.

Mercers is of course Barclays as is Calder Finance (another name they also use).

Resolvecall is a contractor working out of Glasgow which provide call centre services. A related organisation, (has the same address as Resolvecal), is Scotcall.

Scotcall has a network of self employed collectors who make house calls.

1. 99% of threatened visits never happen - they hope the threat will make you pay.

2. In the event someone does turn up, they will say they represent Barclays, (their ID will say Scotcall however).

3. They have no legal powers whatsoever - simply tell them to get off your property and not come back - job done.

David

Guys,

I have over the past 4 months been seeking a solicitors help with other Advent students, we have formed a ‘group’ which has split all of the charges and has worked excellently.

Our solicitors have been fantastic with seeking information from barristers and sending a number of letters to BPF with deadlines of response, however BPF just ignore these letter until they are made to take action.

We have now been told that a court hearing is the last and only way of getting a response from BPF whilst having the case settled one way or the other.

I am also told that although we stand a better than average chance of winning nothing is certain and BPF will put up fierce opposition as this will open the flood gates for everyone to claim if we win.

This is not cheap and will cost a lot of money somewhere in the region of £20,000 if we loose!!!!

I believe that our approach has given us the most guidance and support whilst telling the truth no matter how bleak it may be.

I don’t see that any other alternative routes anyone is taking on this site will amount to anything different that what I have just told you.

So I beg for all your help and support, I and the other members of the ‘group’ will take this all the way if we can find a way of financing this, I wonder how many go onto this site 1000, 2000 that are in the same situation from Advent/BPF, if we all paid £100/£200 this matter could be resolved for us all one way or the other, so no more speculation I believe this is a small price to pay.

If we win I would expect that everyone will get there £100/£200 pounds back as the fee would have to be paid by BPF….

If you want your money back HELP us to help yourself, we WILL have a decision in 6 MONTHS one way or the other.

Any suggestions would be welcomed, if you would like information contact me.

Regards

A4ron

Guys,

I have over the past 4 months been seeking a solicitors help with other Advent students, we have formed a ‘group’ which has split all of the charges and has worked excellently.

Our solicitors have been fantastic with seeking information from barristers and sending a number of letters to BPF with deadlines of response, however BPF just ignore these letter until they are made to take action.

We have now been told that a court hearing is the last and only way of getting a response from BPF whilst having the case settled one way or the other.

I am also told that although we stand a better than average chance of winning nothing is certain and BPF will put up fierce opposition as this will open the flood gates for everyone to claim if we win.

This is not cheap and will cost a lot of money somewhere in the region of £20,000 if we loose!!!!

I believe that our approach has given us the most guidance and support whilst telling the truth no matter how bleak it may be.

I don’t see that any other alternative routes anyone is taking on this site will amount to anything different that what I have just told you.

So I beg for all your help and support, I and the other members of the ‘group’ will take this all the way if we can find a way of financing this, I wonder how many go onto this site 1000, 2000 that are in the same situation from Advent/BPF, if we all paid £100/£200 this matter could be resolved for us all one way or the other, so no more speculation I believe this is a small price to pay.

If we win I would expect that everyone will get there £100/£200 pounds back as the fee would have to be paid by BPF….

If you want your money back HELP us to help yourself, we WILL have a decision in 6 MONTHS one way or the other.

Regards

A4ron

yes I think you are right.

BPF will make a fight of it because at the end of it if they balance out their payments and receipts.. if they are 1p up.. they will concider it worth their while.. they have no ethics.. and this despite signing up for ISO standards.. its part of what they signed up for.. and if they are same as other companies they get audited.. would not this sort of info be found by auditors? they must be really good at hiding their dirt.

and all the other organisations they are signed up to.. they are just making lip service to them..

I wish I had known this about them.. I would not have taken out a loan with them.. same as I never use HFC trust for a loan when its offered at a store, I refuse to make the purchase and tell the store reps why they have lost a sale.. for similar reasons.

these companies think they can screw you today.. and you will forget it.. but no my friends.. I make my choices and I walk... so will many others after this I am sure.

Edited by 10pack

Guys,

Regards

A4ron

Hi a4ron

It is better to work with NO WIN NO FEE company. there is the link:

external link removed

The principle of work of this company is follows:

How much will it cost me?

Nothing, as the claim is accepted by the insurers. Hausfeld LLP is a claimant law firm (we don’t act for banks and insurers etc so we have no conflict in bringing actions against them). We often run cases on a Conditional Fee Agreement which means ‘no win no fee’. We can do this where the case has good prospects of success, which we ensure by obtaining counsel’s (QC) opinion. The legal expenses insurers also need this opinion before they agree to insure the case. Once insurance is in place, you are protected from any adverse costs against you. If we lose, the insurer pays our costs. If we win we take our costs from the defendants, in this case Barclays Partner Finance. You are protected from costs either way.

Edited by IdaInFife
external link removed

Guys,

Regards

A4ron

With respect A4Ron, how many times have I and others posted here about the FREE legal action organised months ago by myself with Hausfeld LLP? It costs nothing, and we now have nearly 600 members. If we lose it will still cost us nothing as Hausfeld's insurers cover the cost. No risk.

Take a look at the website I set up voluntarily to co-ordinate this.

external link removed

However if people want to go with you and pay money that's obviously their individual choice.

Good luck to you and let's hope we can all get a result.

Guys I appreciate the 'free' option of going with no win no fee. I really hope this works for you.

Does anyone have an update on what this company is doing for you or just a summary of where you are at?

How far down the line you are, is there a court case in the pipe line or are they sending letters to bpf?

I'm looking to see what insurance policys I have that will cover my costs with the guys I'm with, so maybe that another option for some of you guys.

All i'm trying to suggest is that we have a fixed date now (6 months) and this can be settled it's not a lot of money especially if we win!

Guys,

Regards

A4ron

For that reason it is better to sign up with the legal team - it will cost nothing.BPF have responded to Hausfeld & Co twice.So i think they are taking the class action seriously.Barclays never respond, as your party has found out.

But we are all in this together so i truly wish you luck with the court case.

The problem is:

I complain to the Ombudsmand in February. What I found on this site :

external link removed

"Can I still pursue my complaint with the FOS?

You can certainly take your complaint to the Ombudsman - see their website at www.financial.ombudsman.org.uk. If you elect to have your complaint eventually adjudicated by the FOS, then under their rules you cannot pursue your claim with us. If you submit your complaint to the FOS and the outcome is not in your favour, then you may still pursue legal action depending on the reasons why your complaint failed, and if you are still within the legal time limits. Action on this case however will proceed fairly quickly and once the claim is filed, we may not be able to add your claim later."

The results is "I can not pursue my claim with Hausfield".

Edited by IdaInFife
external link removed

Hi Fuzzbutt - i have been skimming over the posts and wondered if i can phone you about this. I dont have a loan with Barclays Partner Finance but i do have a Barclays Student Loan. Computeach are not allowing there continued support without more cost to me but Advent were more understanding with the difficult circumstances to which i was studying in. I have been away and only recently been trying to get answers for our problem. Thanks Clive

Guys I appreciate the 'free' option of going with no win no fee. I really hope this works for you.

Does anyone have an update on what this company is doing for you or just a summary of where you are at?

How far down the line you are, is there a court case in the pipe line or are they sending letters to bpf?

I'm looking to see what insurance policys I have that will cover my costs with the guys I'm with, so maybe that another option for some of you guys.

All i'm trying to suggest is that we have a fixed date now (6 months) and this can be settled it's not a lot of money especially if we win!

Our lawyer is currently collating all of our documents and preparing to write to BPF again this week. We are anticipating this will go to court action very soon as BPF are refusing to act reasonably. The letters are all on the website if you want to read them.

Hausfeld are a specialist in 'class actions' and consumer issues so I'm sure we are in excellent hands (check out their website for their track record in the States against oil companies etc).

Edited by Fuzzbutt

Hi Fuzzbutt - i have been skimming over the posts and wondered if i can phone you about this. I dont have a loan with Barclays Partner Finance but i do have a Barclays Student Loan. Computeach are not allowing there continued support without more cost to me but Advent were more understanding with the difficult circumstances to which i was studying in. I have been away and only recently been trying to get answers for our problem. Thanks Clive

Sorry Clive - no calls. I'm not a helpline, just the organiser. I'm not legally qualified in any way to advise individuals.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but all my evenings get spent with answering emails and it's beginning to wear me down now so I'm saying an apologetic 'sorry no' to people now. I have a life outside of these forums.:)

The thing that has pi****d me off is some people often don't even use a please and thankyou in their mail, and the questions are often ones already clearly outlined on the website, which I set up for the express purpose of keeping everyone informed and latest info in one place.

Our lawyer is currently advising people in the short term to go to local CABs and finance helplines like Debtline until Hausfeld have completed their assessment - there's 600 people involved now. They are currently looking at how to include the guarantors in some way if possible too

The problem is:

I complain to the Ombudsmand in February. What I found on this site :

external link removed

"Can I still pursue my complaint with the FOS?

You can certainly take your complaint to the Ombudsman - see their website at www.financial.ombudsman.org.uk. If you elect to have your complaint eventually adjudicated by the FOS, then under their rules you cannot pursue your claim with us. If you submit your complaint to the FOS and the outcome is not in your favour, then you may still pursue legal action depending on the reasons why your complaint failed, and if you are still within the legal time limits. Action on this case however will proceed fairly quickly and once the claim is filed, we may not be able to add your claim later."

The results is "I can not pursue my claim with Hausfield".

No, it means if FOS rule in your favour then that's your positive result and Hausfeld can't represent you anymore. Until then (or if FOS turn your complaint down) they can.

So far FOS has nor ruled in anyone's favour that we know of, but it's worth going through the motions anyway on principle and to force BPF to pay the fine each time FOS looks at a complaint.

No, it means if FOS rule in your favour then that's your positive result and Hausfeld can't represent you anymore. Until then (or if FOS turn your complaint down) they can.

So far FOS has nor ruled in anyone's favour that we know of, but it's worth going through the motions anyway on principle and to force BPF to pay the fine each time FOS looks at a complaint.

So, I can join to a Group Action even if I have open case considering with FOS.

Ok, I will definitely do it.

Thanks a lot Fuzzbutt

By the way, there is the article where you can find that FOS instigated full refunds for both Advent and Access students.

external link removed

Edited by IdaInFife
external link removed

hi fuzz just lettin you know i will be contacting kelly on facebook and will gladly publicly stand up and address the treatment we are all receiving.

Don't let people who are stressed get you down steph ......WE ALL APPRECIATE WHAT YOU ARE DOING FOR US AND WOULD BE LOST WITHOUT YOU:o

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3908 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks