Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In my T+C's it says they will make part payment to the supplier. Now I guess they've made part payment to computeach. Is that what they mean? Afterall they're not going to hand over the full amount to Advent straight away or else Advent would take the money and run (or to put it another way, take the money and run much sooner)

Also I'm concerned about this ex/current employee from BPF. In my Advent T+C's it says they are "only liable for breaches under the DPA if they are shown to be negligent" otherwise it's the person who knowingly obtained the information who is at fault, I guess it's the same for BPF. That is unless our man/girl on the inside can show it was in the public interest.

well they shouldn't have made part payment to computeach when i havent agreed to go with them! Why would they send money to a company that they and i know nothing to!? I can understand them doing that to advent when i first signed up because i asked for it but i have not would never sign up to computeach!!

...and as far as i know, advent didn't take the money and run, Barclays pulled out funding on them! Advent had no choice!...how long till they do it to computeach too!!??

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I received one of those letters from someone from BPF, So now they are going to get fined by government for breaching data protection, and i am going to sue them for letting my details slip.

I just assumed it was from Fuzzbutt, didn't think to look at postage mark or anything!

I did mention this to good old Michael at BPF today and he said ex employees have no way to get into the system so its either someone still in the company or someone who planned it before they left!

...well thats pretty obvious really! How badly do they treat their staff for them to do this!?

Horrible to think anyone can get hold of our info but i do appreciate they're on our side and trying to help!!

everyday when i read metro on the way to work, i can see lots of stuff happening in this world..just pray that the amazing bpf story will be on the front page sooon!!!

i had two letters on monday..again they send me the same today..can anyone plz give me a strong letter to kick their back..really annoyed after reading those letters..saying i never try to communicate'em. i sent 3 letters so far, got a generic reply that they are investigating the case.. i know they will ignore our letters but just want to have some proof that we are communicating with them..thanx.

well they shouldn't have made part payment to computeach when i havent agreed to go with them! Why would they send money to a company that they and i know nothing to!? I can understand them doing that to advent when i first signed up because i asked for it but i have not would never sign up to computeach!!

...and as far as i know, advent didn't take the money and run, Barclays pulled out funding on them! Advent had no choice!...how long till they do it to computeach too!!??

What I'm saying is if Barclays had paid the full amount to Advent straight away Advent would have taken the money and run so instead Barcalys only made part payment, I guess it all went something like this:

The loan you get is interest free and no payments for one year. During the first year of business Advent had to borrow heavily. Advent may have got nothing from Barclays for the first year or maybe a fee for securing the credit agreements with students or a small amount to comply with any relevent laws. At the end of the first year when students start paying is when Barcalys start to pay Advent properly. So Barclays kept hold of some of your money and used it to pay Computeach only it's not your money because you've not paid for it yet. To really complicate things Barclays paid computeach by selling them your debt.

I don't want to defend barclays here (not that some people will believe me) but part of the reason they pulled out could be because of the way Advent conducted their business.

If you interpret the T+C's then Advent had limited liability which means if they failed to provide something they were limited only to providing it. Now that Advent no longer exist and Barclays are jointly and severally liable Barclays are only liable to provide the same or a substancially similar course. They have done this and as someone else has posted FOS have said this is ok.

Now I don't agree that it's acceptable but it doesn't matter what I think, what matters is what the law says.

What I'm saying is if Barclays had paid the full amount to Advent straight away Advent would have taken the money and run so instead Barcalys only made part payment, I guess it all went something like this:

The loan you get is interest free and no payments for one year. During the first year of business Advent had to borrow heavily. Advent may have got nothing from Barclays for the first year or maybe a fee for securing the credit agreements with students or a small amount to comply with any relevent laws. At the end of the first year when students start paying is when Barcalys start to pay Advent properly. So Barclays kept hold of some of your money and used it to pay Computeach only it's not your money because you've not paid for it yet. To really complicate things Barclays paid computeach by selling them your debt.

I don't want to defend barclays here (not that some people will believe me) but part of the reason they pulled out could be because of the way Advent conducted their business.

If you interpret the T+C's then Advent had limited liability which means if they failed to provide something they were limited only to providing it. Now that Advent no longer exist and Barclays are jointly and severally liable Barclays are only liable to provide the same or a substancially similar course. They have done this and as someone else has posted FOS have said this is ok.

Now I don't agree that it's acceptable but it doesn't matter what I think, what matters is what the law says.

Where do you get this information?

if what you say is true.. then why are barclays giving us so much trouble to pay when they did not pay much money upfront.. and they would not give money to another company unless we again signed an agreement with that company.

I was told by a BPF rep in January that they had paid all money to advent up front.. for all students and that they had nearly 6,000 students with loans in the same situation.

He was the one that told me that I should not worry BPF had an obligation to find a training provider that was as good as or better.. otherwise I could sue them for breach of contract..

Edited by 10pack

I was told by a BPF rep in January that they had paid all money to advent up front.. for all students and that they had nearly 6,000 students with loans in the same situation.

He was the one that told me that I should not worry BPF had an obligation to find a training provider that was as good as or better.. otherwise I could sue them for breach of contract..

Like I said I'm guessing, I just can't believe that Barclays would pay Advent upfront. Doesn't make good business sense. Does it?

Lets say Advent got 1000 students in their first year Barclays would have paid them £4.5mil and been left with £4.5mil debts, double this to include train2trade (whatever its called) and they get £9mil in their first year. (possibly)

How long do you think they'd hang around? Personally I'd be sat on a beach in South America drinking myself stupid.

Like I said I'm guessing, I just can't believe that Barclays would pay Advent upfront. Doesn't make good business sense. Does it?

Lets say Advent got 1000 students in their first year Barclays would have paid them £4.5mil and been left with £4.5mil debts, double this to include train2trade (whatever its called) and they get £9mil in their first year. (possibly)

How long do you think they'd hang around? Personally I'd be sat on a beach in South America drinking myself stupid.

Thats what happened.. the advent bosses skimmed just enough to keep things ticking over.. pay the electric and such.. the rest of the money paid up front was put into another bank account nothing to do with advent.

when barclays pulled plug.. the advent bosses just pulled the plug and ran.. the boss was so distrought.. he and his family had to go on a sking holiday to try and blot it from their minds.. it was terrible for them all that suffering

I was told the same 10pack, so if Feedme's info is correct then BPF is in bigger trouble than they know, because the interest free period wasn't up for me,when Barclay pulled the plug on Advent and forced them into administration and if Barclay did that due to the way Advent conducted their business then it's only a matter of time till they do it to Computeach again as they already did it to them hence why they are only offering short term training ie pay as you go 1 month at a time, after 1year. They're up to their eyes in it so's Barclay's.

I would like to see proof of when this money was paid and how much.

and there is no way that Barclays did not pay the money up front..

if you brought a car from a garage with a finance loan.. ie you dont have the money in your hands.. would the garage be happy to get installments from the bank?.. hell no they get paid in full up front same as advent and computeach used to.. i am not sure how their finance system works now.. but when I was last a computeach student.. they had my money and then ****ed me about for 10 months until i saw the light and realised I was being taken for a ride

Wow!...thanks for your insight but you are WAY off the mark! Who says I never paid anything for the first year? Maybe the loan YOU got was interest free and no payments for the first year, mine certainly wasn't!!

Ever since I joined this site it's for people to support eachother, know there are others out there going through the same thing, offer friendly comments and try and get through it together, not for people to contradict everything you say and make you feel even worse!

I'd appreciate it if you could ignore my posts in future and hold in your urge to comment with unhelpful "advice"

Thanks!

Not sure you need drink to achieve this mate!

I have a suspicion a court judge can force BPF to reveal all their financial dealings under Freedom of Information or something? That will be one for our lawyer though.

I hope they do and then if they've been harrassing me for money that hasn't been paid to Advent :eek: they'll be in BIG Trouble.Wish I could find out for definite. Nothing would surprise me they're capable of anything :-x

To really complicate things Barclays paid computeach by selling them your debt.

I am not sure that is correct, and to be honest i have not a clue as to how BPF paid CT.But....

The email from PKF [Administrators] to us states that CT were offered the Advent student database from PKF for 200.000 or 250.000.[ i cant remember the figure off hand] CT stated [to PKF] they could secure substantial future income from the database - which would explain the hardcore contact and sales pitch to ex Advent students.

[all that extra £1200.00 per year per student]

Its possible BPF loaned CT this money to take us on,but hey who knows.

One thing is for sure is that BPF are trying to recover from advent students the money they paid to Advent.[bPF were not on the creditors list for some reason]

And with hundreds of students in dispute and not giving money to CT.CT then will be in debt to BPF with no way of paying it back.No income from the database.

I think it was a cunning plan from BPF and CT to get around S75 that has gone totally tits up.

On strange thing.I phoned BPF in Cardiff to discuss why there has not been a responce to my account in dispute of nearly ten weeks ago [ signed for].

The reply was there is hundreds of un opened letters in dispute from Glasgow and a team will be going through and responding to them at some point.

IF THEY HAVE NOT BEEN OPENED - HOW DO THEY KNOW THEY ARE LETTERES OF DISPUTE...??? :confused:

The smell is getting stronger by the day.

I am not sure that is correct, and to be honest i have not a clue as to how BPF paid CT.But....

The email from PKF [Administrators] to us states that CT were offered the Advent student database from PKF for 200.000 or 250.000.[ i cant remember the figure off hand] CT stated [to PKF] they could secure substantial future income from the database - which would explain the hardcore contact and sales pitch to ex Advent students.

[all that extra £1200.00 per year per student]

Its possible BPF loaned CT this money to take us on,but hey who knows.

One thing is for sure is that BPF are trying to recover from advent students the money they paid to Advent.[bPF were not on the creditors list for some reason]

And with hundreds of students in dispute and not giving money to CT.CT then will be in debt to BPF with no way of paying it back.No income from the database.

I think it was a cunning plan from BPF and CT to get around S75 that has gone totally tits up.

On strange thing.I phoned BPF in Cardiff to discuss why there has not been a responce to my account in dispute of nearly ten weeks ago [ signed for].

The reply was there is hundreds of un opened letters in dispute from Glasgow and a team will be going through and responding to them at some point.

IF THEY HAVE NOT BEEN OPENED - HOW DO THEY KNOW THEY ARE LETTERES OF DISPUTE...??? :confused:

The smell is getting stronger by the day.

Yeah I'm not saying I'm right, what I do know is it's more complicated than it seems on the surface and I'm trying to get some idea.

And Monsieur Poirot, you ask how they know they're letters of dispute? Maybe they're covered in merde.

Yeah I'm not saying I'm right, what I do know is it's more complicated than it seems on the surface and I'm trying to get some idea.

No i know you are not, i was not really saying that.Just joining in now the match is over.

From PKF Email.. I am thinking, has the legal team a copy of this email?

3.10 Subsequent to discussions with our advisers and the Student Funders, this offer was accepted subject to contract and a sale to Computeach was ultimately completed on 31 March 2010 for a total consideration of

£250,000.

4.5.2 The Company may be entitled to additional consideration from Computeach. Any additional consideration is dependant upon the future income Computeach derive from these students.

5. Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (.CCA.)

We understand that certain BPF Students may be entitled to make claims under the terms of the CCA.

As indicated previously, we are not in a position to provide any advice on individual circumstances.

We suggest that any BPF Student who suspects he/she has rights under the CCA should seek

the advice of a lawyer, the Citizens Advice Bureau or some other similar body or organisation.

Any BPF Student who intends to make a claim under the CCA should contact Barclays

Partner Finance and not Advent, the Administrators or Computeach.

So if CT make no money from the students, they have pi**ed up the wall 250.000 grand,or 250.000 grand of BPF money.

BPF will see the students as easy targets to recover easy money, Telling CT of the supposed 2 year clause and disregarding S75 - No brainer really.

Edited by lowdown

And Monsieur Poirot, you ask how they know they're letters of dispute? Maybe they're covered in merde.

Along with some MD's underpants, me thinks

Edited by lowdown

hey all, got a phonecall from Barclays on monday, lady was quite nice. She started of telling me that i am 2 months behind on payments to which i replied you are not listening to me and she asked wot i meant. I told her of all the calls ive had from Barclays to which she said but i havent rung you before. I said maybe not but your colleagues have and ive told them all im not paying and undergoing legal action. She said il put it on your notes and stop the phonecalls. I also asked if it was possible to put account in dispute again to which she said she would. I asked her for proof in writing which she said she couldnt do. So far no further phonecalls.

Also got the gospel letter this morning mine was stamped south midlands.

looking at the posts from the last couple of days I have come to the conclusion that feedme is 100% BPF employee and I feel this account holder should jog on

Your not alone.

In other news as i understand it i have been told that Barclays gave advent the money upfront (i am sure there is a post about this early on in this thread). Not that i care what they did i'm just happy to be hitting a Bank where it hurts this is all their fault.

FYI they have already had to pay the FO £500 a pop for our complaints.

No i know you are not, i was not really saying that.Just joining in now the match is over.

From PKF Email.. I am thinking, has the legal team a copy of this email?

3.10 Subsequent to discussions with our advisers and the Student Funders, this offer was accepted subject to contract and a sale to Computeach was ultimately completed on 31 March 2010 for a total consideration of

£250,000.

4.5.2 The Company may be entitled to additional consideration from Computeach. Any additional consideration is dependant upon the future income Computeach derive from these students.

5. Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (.CCA.)

We understand that certain BPF Students may be entitled to make claims under the terms of the CCA.

As indicated previously, we are not in a position to provide any advice on individual circumstances.

We suggest that any BPF Student who suspects he/she has rights under the CCA should seek

the advice of a lawyer, the Citizens Advice Bureau or some other similar body or organisation.

Any BPF Student who intends to make a claim under the CCA should contact Barclays

Partner Finance and not Advent, the Administrators or Computeach.

So if CT make no money from the students, they have pi**ed up the wall 250.000 grand,or 250.000 grand of BPF money.

BPF will see the students as easy targets to recover easy money, Telling CT of the supposed 2 year clause and disregarding S75 - No brainer really.

I didn't receive that email....interesting. Would you be able to let our lawyer have a copy please, Lowdown? Think you must have her direct email, if not, let me know. Thanks.

I didn't receive that email....interesting. Would you be able to let our lawyer have a copy please, Lowdown? Think you must have her direct email, if not, let me know. Thanks.

Yes, i have your PM, thanks.

I will forward to the team today.

According to PKF, around 20 companies were invited to pitch for the database.

Its funny how BPF's old chums CT got the gig.

Funny how a data base full of students details is hawked around like a doorstep seller selling kitchen cleaners.Not concern about students what so ever.Like we did not exist - just a jar full of potential income for anyone who wanted to take the chance.

Edited by lowdown

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks