• Tweets

• Thank you for your responses. As requested, some more detail. Please forgive, I'm writing this on my phone which always makes for less than perfect grammar. My Dad tries but English not his 1st language, i'm born and bred in England, a qualified accountant and i often help him with his admin. On this occasion I helped my dad put in his renewal driving licence application around 6 weeks before expiry and with it the disclosure of his sleep apnoea. Once the licence expired I told him to get in touch with his GP, because the DVLA were offering only radio silence at that time (excuses of backlogs When I called to chase up). The GP charged £30 for an opinion letter on his ability to drive based on his medical history- at the time I didn't take a copy of the letter, but I am hoping this will be key evidence that we can rely on as to why s88 applies because in the GP opinion they saw no reason he couldn't drive i need to see the letter again as im going only on memory- we forwarded the letter in a chase up / complaint to the DVLA.  In December, everything went quiet RE the sleep apnoea (i presume his GP had given assurance) but the DVLA noticed there had been a 2nd medical issue in the past, when my father suffered a one off mini stroke 3 years prior. That condition had long been resolved via an operation (on his brain of all places, it was a scary time, but he came through unscathed) and he's never had an issue since. We were able to respond to that query very promptly (within the 14 days) and the next communication was the licence being granted 2 months later. DVLA have been very slow in responding every step of the way.  I realise by not disclosing the mini stroke at the time, and again on renewal (had I known I'd have encouraged it) he was potentially committing an offence, however that is not relevant to the current charge being levied, which is that he was unable to rely on s88 because of a current medical issue (not one that had been resolved). I could be wrong, I'm not a legal expert! The letter is a summons I believe because its a speeding offence (59 in a temp roadworks 50 limit on the A1, ironically whist driving up to visit me). We pleaded guilty to the speeding but not guilty to the s87.  DVLA always confirmed to me on the phone that the licence had not been revoked and that he "May" be able to continue to drive. They also confirmed in writing, but the letter explains the DVLA offer no opinion on the matter and that its up to the driver to seek legal advice. I'll take the advice to contact DVLA medical group. I'm going to contact the GP to make sure they received the SAR request for data, and make it clear we need to see a copy of the opinion letter. In terms of whether to continue to fight this, or to continue with the defence, do we have any idea of the potential consequences of either option? Thanks all
    • stopping payments until a DN arrives does not equal automatic sale to a DCA...if you resume payments after the DN.  
    • Sleep apnoea: used to require the condition  to be “completely” controlled Sometime before June 2013 DVLA changed it to "adequately" controlled. I have to disagree with MitM regarding the effect of informing DVLA and S.88 A diagnosis of sleep apnoea doesn't mean a licence wont be granted, and, indeed, here it was. If the father sought medical advice (did he?) : this is precisely where S.88 applies https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/64edcf3a13ae1500116e2f5d/inf1886-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf p.4 for “new medical condition” It is shakier ground if the opinion of a healthcare professional wasn’t sought. in that case it is on the driver to state they believed they met the medical standard to drive. However, the fact the licence was then later granted can be used to be persuasive that the driver’s belief they met the standard was correct. What was the other condition? And, just to confirm, at no point did DVLA say the licence was revoked / application refused? I’d be asking DVLA Drivers’ Medical Group why they believe S.88 doesn’t apply. S.88 only applies for the UK, incidentally. If your licence has expired and you meet the conditions for S.88 you can drive in the U.K., but not outside the U.K. 
    • So you think not pay until DN then pay something to the oc to delay selling to dcas?    then go from there? 
    • think about it, if you don't pay the full amount, what more can they do , default you  they've already registered a default notice by that point.  why have you got to await sale to a DCA.... for what?  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3926 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I like many of you do not want to continue with the alternative training provider Computeach. We need to find the difference between advent and computeach's training - and show how they are NOT like for like.

e.g. they charge you for resits.

I need facts with where they are sourced from. I need to show how they are different. Can anyone help me!?!

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I too was contacted by BBC Watchdog who were after any forms and course breakdown materials that Advent had supplied us at the early stages of enrollment. I also directed them towards the facebook group which has picture copies of a lot of the aforementioned forms.

I also recieved the generic letter telling me that my account would be "unfrozen" and I was due to continue with repayments- Hmmm funny that, considering I paid IN FULL within the first year. This simply shows that they don't deal with each case individualy.

My FOS deadline of 8 weeks will soon be approaching. Just waiting on what to do after that... We will not fail!!!!!

any 1 received any info from computeach yet

I had a letter from them.. it was much along the lines of the email they sent out expect us to do all the leg work logging in providing information.. they do not know much otherwise it would have been simple to send this out.

I dont want them as a training company they should not be in business.. they are a waste of time and money

Hi Dinky 2010 Fuzzbutt contacted Computeach and here is their answers quite plain no resits. They didn't know it was an Advent student they were answering. ;)

I posted some questions to Computeach today and here's the reply.....

CT reply

I’ll do my best with your questions!

You will cover various packages and programmes during the course, DreamWeaver, Flash, Fireworks etc. You learn this in a simulated online environment. i.e. You can log into the software online and learn how to use it, without actually having to purchase it yourself.

The workshop days are completely optional. They are there as an additional support measure for those students who need it.

We provide you with software that allows you to take practice/mock exams all the way through your programme. Before you go in for your ‘real’ exam you will take an official online mock exam where the results come to ourselves. Should you pass that, we book you in for the real one. We set a passmark of 90% for this, which is higher than you will need for your actual exam. The reason for this is we want you to be totally confident that you will pass when you go in for your exam. Historically we have an 85% first time pass rate. That has increased since we introduced this system.

At the end of the 12 months, if you have not completed your studies you can extend your training at that time. You do not have to subscribe for another full 12 months, you would continue on a month to month basis until you have completed it. Obviously we encourage you to maintain your studies so that you don’t pay any more than you need too.

If you fail an exam, we don’t cover resits unfortunately. However, with the system we have above, that shouldn’t cause you any problems as we want you to pass first time!

With regards to the careers department, we can’t guarantee you an actual job as we are not the company that will be employing you. We can guarantee to get you interviews lined up however.

As soon as you have passed the second of the CIW modules, the careers team can start work for you. They work closely with companies all over the UK, companies with whom we have placed students on a regular basis previously. They will look to get you interviews lines up, however it is still your responsibility of course to go along to the interview on time, dress smartly, be polite. I’m sure you know the drill!

Before you go however, the careers team can do some work for you. They will give you a mock interview so that you are fully prepared and know the kind of questions you are likely to be asked. They will also help you prepare your cv and be on hand for any advice careers related. Their main aim however is to find job roles for you.

Upon completion of your final qualification they can then be looking for a senior web design role for you.

They would look for these positions in the area that you specify! We recommend around a 15-20 mile radius.

Hope that helps!

I'd asked ...

I do have a few questions though please...

I can't see anything that lists the web design software packages that are covered for Master CIW Designer (such as Dreamweaver, Photoshop etc). Are these part of the course, and where do they feature?

It's unlikely I'll be able to attend workshop days as I work and live in Bristol with family, so taking time off mid-week with overnight stays in Dudley (an added expense), plus taking time off work at my own expense is not an option. Could I still complete the course without doing these modules?

What is the pass mark expected? Do we do mock exams first?

If you over-run the 12 month contract period do you need to pay more to complete (it says flexible learning at your own pace but how flexible is that?)

If you don't pass the expected exam within that period, do you have to pay extra again to re-take exams?

What does the job support entail? Does CT guarantee work placements in companies local to your area?

Many thanks and sorry there are so many questions.

I look forward to hearing further.

So there you go!

No you have to pay more as you go along on top of what's already been paid to Barclays and you have to pay for re-sits. Advent promised unlimited time and as many goes as you needed to pass your exams.

So that's not like for like by any stretch! :rolleyes:

I also contacted them as a new customer for networking, this is there what they emailed me and they do not offer finance and there is no CCNA

Thank you for your time today, as discussed please find details below on the training options we discussed.

I have attached some pdf brochures with the course details, please email back if have any difficulty opening and viewing the pdf attachment.

The course is based on a subscription plan, similar to a mobile phone contract. You simply subscribe for a minimum of 12 months then at the end of your subscription period you simply choose to subscribe for a further period if you haven’t completed your studies.Additional study can be added on a month by month basis.

The annual subscription charge is £1679.00 (payment options available) which includes all learning materials at the various stages of your course/tutor support/examinations (not including re-sits) and our dedicated careers service.

1. Course is studied at home - In your own time and at your own pace.

2. Full Tutor Support - Via Phone, Email, Fax and Forums.

3. Latest study materials provided - Books, Manuals, CD-ROMs, E-learning etc –We are Microsoft Gold Partner for learning solutions.

4. Student licensed software (if required)

5. Exam costs included – We have over an 85% first time pass rate

6. Fully industry recognised qualifications

7. In-centre training days if required – (Practical & Theory)

8. Full recruitment service - Professionally written CV

- Interview tips and training

- Career guidance

- Mock interview/assessment provided

- Starts from day 1 of training

- Established for over 41 years placing ONLY our students into full time employment.

As discussed we recommend that you start on Support Professional and then once this is completed move onto the Networking Professional course. During your 12 month enrolment you can move on to any course as soon as you have completed the previous one, therefore the more hours you can study the more qualifications you can get. (Just to confirm that you complete a module, take the mock exam, then you sit your actual exam – when this is passed you then move on the next module and complete the steps over again. There are 4 modules/exams in the Support Professional, and 7 modules/exams in Networking, which is 4 for the MCSA and 3 for the MCSE)

If you are able to pay the enrolment fee in full we can currently offer 14 months study for the price of 12 months study (worth £279.90) or take 12 months of study with a 10% discount.

However if this is not an option for you we can offer a range of payment options to fit in with your current budget - there is no interest charged and no credit checks. We can offer you payment over 12 months. We take the first payment of £579 by debit/credit card and then the next 11 payments of £100 are taken by direct debit.

Whilst we think we are the best and can offer you an achievable route into the IT industry, you don’t have to take our word for it.

Our students have their own say at www.computeachtv.co.uk

All the people you see are real Computeach students, not actors. They are talking about their learning experiences in their own words with no prompting from us whatsoever. As you will see, these successful people had ordinary jobs before joining the IT industry, with little prior IT knowledge and no IT qualifications.

I look forward to speaking to you again on Monday, however please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any queries before then.

Your Reference number is

Kind Regards

This is taken from their website...........

Computeach is the longest established IT training company in the UK. Since 1964 we have helped thousands of students get onto the IT career ladder.

With over 40 years of experience in the IT Training Industry, we provide IT training programmes to suit all kinds of people. You don’t need formal qualifications and you don’t even need to know anything about IT to do our computer courses.

The demand for IT professionals in all areas remains consistently high. A career in IT will ensure you have better prospects, better quality of life and the ability to earn more money. Many of our students are reaping the benefits of working in the IT industry, enjoying high incomes.

We offer a range of computer courses to help you achieve your goals.

You can learn at your own pace around your work, social and family commitments with support throughout.

Our unique career service helps our students find rewarding and secure IT careers, even before completing their IT training course.

This is what they said on fuzzbutt's email.....Note they are not consistent in anything. Study at your own pace then tell you the course has 12month limit and if you go over you pay them more think they're helping anyone letting them pay 1month at a time they are [problem] artists like advent were and BPF are up to their neck in it.

With regards to the careers department, we can’t guarantee you an actual job as we are not the company that will be employing you. We can guarantee to get you interviews lined up however.

Advent guaranteed me a job and listed big companies they dealt with and hundreds of smaller companies they dealt with their words not mine. and quoted expected salary's in writing.

Keep fighting guys they can't get away with doing this to people anymore.

Just faxed my complaint to the fos and posted a letter to BPF stating that the account is still in dispute so they're not getting a penny meanwhile. Also joined in with fuzzbutts legal action.

Get it right up ye barclays!

However if this is not an option for you we can offer a range of payment options to fit in with your current budget - there is no interest charged and no credit checks. We can offer you payment over 12 months. We take the first payment of £579 by debit/credit card and then the next 11 payments of £100 are taken by direct debit.

No credit checks! According to Government guidance that is one of the tests for "irresponsible lending" which makes the contract unenforceable.

heh, i just received email: Dear ....., you have been selected to apply for Barclays Loan,......

Yeah Right:rolleyes:

BPF still calling me but I am posting a letter tomorrow and they better stop.

Bluedo, A Financial Time Bomb is Ticking for Barclays Partner Finance.

that is brilliant, cant wait to see them pay.

I wonder if it would be worth putting an email together describing what Barclays are doing and how badly they're treating people, spamming it to everyone we know, getting them to do the same etc etc. Barclays would hate that

PP+ trainees are also taking legal advice. Might be good to use same legal team as fuzzbutt.

Hi Joseph,

edited

Fuzz is liaison with the legal team

Edited by HSBCrusher

My local Trading Standards copied me the reply they received from BPF Managing Director, Paul Noble today. It was basically the same bull about no we are not in breach of contract and Computeach is brilliant and we are so pleased to have engaged this provider of excellent service record (get me the sick bag!:lol:) but it did say if I was not satisfied I could go to another provider.

Guess that means you can pay us all over again and by the way, you're still not getting your money back. But the overbearing arrogance in the reply was so obnoxious and apparent, even in a letter to an official of Trading Standards.

Incredible.

Has any one been onto the Financial Ombudsman Adjudicator is Mr. Johan Grefstad. His email address is [email protected] from the above links?

Just wondering if anyone has had success?

I received my fob-off letter to my 1st complaint today from BARCLAYS PARTNER FINANCE with the usual "let us help you ourselves before you contact FOS" line. Do I need to complain to them again if I'm not satisified with this answer or go straight to FOS or do I have to wait 8 weeks - I'm a bit confused. :confused:

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3926 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks