• Tweets

• Okay, perfect. they did say BS is invoked as soon as i fill in their application form, ill get a pin. i had to press them more on this as they didnt want to discuss BS much. so i should fill in the form and get the pin, then i can initiate BS. What will follow and what should i do after? Thanks again for all the help and patience.
    • Good evening, so not a good weekend reviewing paperwork -- I have lost some proofs of postage.. also, although not provided at CCA, they have now supplied a DN in their WS, please see scan of claimants WS (without statements) Document with tick boxes as signatures doesn't look like an agreement and is split across pages. Documents have been stapled and copied multiple times looking at the top left of them. Aside from that, having read other threads, I suspect they have everything? appreciate your input please Sorry for heavy redactions, I noticed the paperwork was see-through LinkHalifaxCC1.compressed.pdf
    • Received a final demand today Final demand.pdf
    • Here is my final draft: I, XXXXXX, being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in the claim and further to my set aside application dated 1 November 2022. The claimants witness statement confirms that it mostly relies on hearsay evidence as confirmed by the drafts in person in the opening paragraph. It is my understanding they must serve notice to any hearsay evidence pursuant to CPR 33.2(1)(B) (notice of intention to rely on hearsay evidence) and Section 2 (1) (A) of the Civil Evidence Act.   1.        The claimant failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis on the 2 February 2024 'The Claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents.' None of these documents were received by the court nor the defendant by that date.   2.        I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already wrote off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimants witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment.   As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights.  This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information).  The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party.   3.        The alleged letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address.  I have attached a copy of my tenancy agreement which is marked ‘Appendix 1’ and shows I was residing at a difference address as of 11 December 2018 and was therefore not at the service address at the time the proceedings were served.  I have also attached an email from my solicitors to the Claimants solicitors dated 14 July 2022 which was sent to them requesting that they disclose the trace of evidence they utilised prior to issuing the proceedings against me.  This is marked ‘Appendix 2’.  The claimants solicitors did not provide me with these documents.   4.        Under The Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims 2017 a Debt Buyer must undertake all reasonable enquiries to ensure the correct address of a debtor, this can be as simple as a credit file search. The Claimant failed to carry out such basic checks. Subsequently all letters prior to and including ,The Pre action Protocol letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 and the claim form dated 14th February 2020 were all served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018.   5.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020.   6.        Upon the discovery of the Judgement debt, I made immediate contact with the Court and the Claimant Solicitors, putting them on notice that I was making investigations in relation to the Judgement debt as it was not familiar to me.  I asked them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.   The correspondence to the Claimant Solicotors is attached and marked ‘Appendix 3’   7.        I then sent a Data Subject Access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided. Details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 4’and the copies of correspondence between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 5’.   8.        The claimant relies upon and exhibits a reconstituted version of the alleged agreement.   It is again denied that I have ever entered into an agreement with Barclaycard on or around 2000.  It is admitted that I did hold other credit agreements with other creditors and as such should this be a debt that was assigned to Barclaycard from another brand therefore the reconstituted agreement disclosed is invalid being pre April 2007 and not legally enforceable pursuant to HH Judge Waksman in Carey v HSBC 2009 EWHC3417.  Details of this are attached and marked ‘Appendix 6’.   The original credit agreement must be provided along with any reconstituted version on a modified credit agreement and must contain the names and address of debtor and creditor, agreement number and cancelation clause.   9.        Therefore the claimant is put to strict proof to disclose a true executed legible agreement on which its claim relies upon and not try to mislead the court.   10.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. Until such time the claimant can comply and disclose a true executed copy of the original assigned agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim they are not entitled while the default continues, to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth. Signed                 ………………………………………………….. Name                  XXXX Date                     30 April 2024
    • Only trying to help.  Ain't being nasty.  Some
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

David Lloyd Leisure, ARC and Trevor Munn - Please HELP!!!!!

MrDan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4914 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I have had recent correspondance from a firm called Trevor Munn LLB Solicitors threatening me with Court action.

The claim is for a Gym membership I took out and had to cancel due to personal issues for which I had to leave the country. I didn't think about cancelling my gym membership immediatley but did so as soon as I remembered but have now incurred costs above £350. For the period they are trying to claim for I hadn't used the Gym once and am wondering if the gym can claim money for a service that was not used?

I find it difficult to understand what my position is on this matter but feel the claim may be unlawful after reading some reports on here which state that the companies in question are a group of cowboys.

I am unsure whether to offer them a payment plan detailing my incomings and outgoings and what I can afford to pay them.

I admit I shouldnt of been so stupid with my finances but was not thinking clearly at the time due to the personal problems I was facing. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

23r

I think you are on sticky ground here. You had a contract with them, whether you used it or not is not their problem and by not contacting them with a reason and requesting cancellation, (your reason for cancellation may not even be covered in the contract), you have allowed the contract to continue so they are entitled to payment.

It makes no difference if they are a cowboy company or not.

I think you have had it due to the contract you signed , these large consortiums like david Lloyd dont care about your circumstances which i thinks is total crap they just want to take your money.

I hope you get the result you want.

• 2 weeks later...

my son is also being harassed by ARC and now T Munn,on behalf of David

Lloyds sports @ Ipswich.He signed a 3 MONTHS CONTRACT at £80 per month,but at the time thought the offer was £80 in TOTAL for 3 months membership.His first direct debit took out approx £80 plus a small joining fee,then when he realised his mistake wrote a letter giving notice to quit his membership(required 1 months notice) Because he then cancelled his direct debit David LLOYD have requested the £160 required for the outstanding 2 months of the contract.Whilst he argued over the clarity over the contract he signed(which he realises he is bound to)he first received letters from debt collector ARC and know their solicitor Trevor Nunn for an additional £130 when he as already informed them he will pay the amount he owes David LLOYD.The solicitors T Nunn have also threatened court action which I have informed them we will contest and asked them for a statement of why these charges have been added.I would greatly appreciate any help and guidance because we believe this case should have been better handled by D Lloyd

my son is also being harassed by ARC and now T Munn,on behalf of David

Lloyds sports @ Ipswich.He signed a 3 MONTHS CONTRACT at £80 per month,but at the time thought the offer was £80 in TOTAL for 3 months membership.His first direct debit took out approx £80 plus a small joining fee,then when he realised his mistake wrote a letter giving notice to quit his membership(required 1 months notice) Because he then cancelled his direct debit David LLOYD have requested the £160 required for the outstanding 2 months of the contract.Whilst he argued over the clarity over the contract he signed(which he realises he is bound to)he first received letters from debt collector ARC and know their solicitor Trevor Nunn for an additional £130 when he as already informed them he will pay the amount he owes David LLOYD.The solicitors T Nunn have also threatened court action which I have informed them we will contest and asked them for a statement of why these charges have been added.I would greatly appreciate any help and guidance because we believe this case should have been better handled by D Lloyd

You can't be bound by something that was mis-sold.

• 2 months later...

I am experiencing the same issues with David Lloyd, ARC and Trevor Munn. I had a membership with David Lloyd for several years. I was then posted overseas by work, initially for 12 months. During this time I suspended my membership at no cost. At the end of 12 months I was contacted by David Lloyd to ask if I wanted to restart my membership. I explained to them that I would be remaining overseas indefinitely and so asked for my membership to be cancelled. I have been contacted by David Lloyd, ARC and now Munn subsequently demanding payment of outstanding membership fees.

I have been told by David Lloyd that in the small print of the membership contract I signed several years ago was a clause which said that they are entitled to charge me a sum equal to 3 months membership fees if I wish to leave. Suspension of membership up to 12 months is apparently free.

My complaints against David Lloyd is that:

(1) this clause in the small print was not pointed out to be when I signed up;

(2) their membership department never mentioned a cancellation fee at the time:

(i) when I suspended my membership for 12 months; or

(ii) when I terminated my membership.

I have taken legal advice from a friend who is a solicitor and have been told that consumer protection legislation (Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1994) require that David Lloyd point out an onerous term such as the cancellation fee: it is not enough that the clause is hidden away in the lengthy contract because as an onerous term it should have been highlighted to me as a consumer.

I have put this argument to David Lloyd, ARC and Munn but continue to receive "snotty" emails and letters from them (fortunately not calls as they don't want to incur international call charges to reach me). The latest is a threat to issue proceedings in the Northamptonshire County Court. I have been incurring international call charges calling them to discuss! Today I have been told that despite the letter sent several weeks ago threatening court proceedings within 10 days of receipt of the letter, proceedings have been put on hold whilst I try to reach an amicable resolution with David Lloyd.

To top this off the sum demanded in each letter keeps increasing - no doubt to cover excessive charges by D Lloyd, ARC and Munn.

I am beginning to feel very aggrieved by what seems increasingly bullying tactics by David Lloyd, ARC and Munn. I've only had one letter from Munn so far but if he continues then I know there is the chance to make a complaint to the Law Society about their tactics. If anyone has any ideas about how I can seek redress against David Lloyd and ARC I'd be grateful to hear. At present I'm thinking of a way to publicise my unpleasant experience with David Lloyd to warn others how may be considering dealing with them.

Edited by jimbean

• 1 month later...

Hi. I also have a problem with them. I have had signed contract for 12 months with david lloyd. After 14 months I called main DL about suspending my membership for one month(holiday). They said it's not a problem. But I couldn't reach anyone from my gym. I mean someone from finance dept. Finally after 2 weeks they call me back, telling me that I can suspend my membership for 3-6 months. And also that i need give them 1 month notice. But what I remember, on the document to suspend membership was something about 2 weeks notice but I'm not sure. So I canceled my direct debit and I haven't use gym any more. I was thinking, ok, I did my 12 months and I didn't signed a new contract. So goodbye. Now they want £607. Because when you want to leave, you need give them 3 months notice. No one told me that when I was signing my contract, like many other things. Any ideas what I should do? And sorry for my broken english:o

Having the exact same problems with David Lloyd, Arc Europe and Munn Solicitors.

I paid 12 months cash upfront (no direct debit) for what I was lead to believe was a 12 month fixed term. Then after 12 months they try to bill me for 3 months notice! An Outrageous underhand practice!

The Office of Fair Trading states that “rolling terms” are unfair and they have told David Lloyd before they need to reduce their notice period too. Most UK gyms are 1 month which they deem reasonable.

I am really keen to hear from people who posted in this chain back in Jan, Feb, May.

What was the outcome?... Do they go all the way to Court? ....Did you pay or are they still chasing , but no Court?...

I have written to the OFT, the Time Trouble Shooter & BBC Watch Dog about these unscrupulous practices.

Please I urge you all to do the same, as the more people that complain the more adverse publicity and the more likely something will get done about this company’s totally unreasonable & unfair Terms.

Contacts & Articles

Times TroubleShooter

[email protected]

David Lloyd won’t budge on gym switch - Times Online

BBC Watchdog

[email protected]

There isn't a real requirement or argument for any notice. It's not like an employer who would have to find a replacement, they just thought up a way to rip people off.

Just pay the one month and tell them to stuff the rest. If they should be stupid enough to claim the other two months in a court, you will be armed with what the oft has said.

We have written to them DL, Arc & Munn and told them all they have no basis for their claim, their contract is unfair and does not meet OFT guidelines. Also wrote to BBC Watch Dog last night and Timestroubleshooter. Any others you can suggest?

Is there anyone out there who had a more detailed history of what Munn do next, if anything? Any of the Jan to March posters around? .... Im quite worried that all communication on this issue seems to dry up on the forum after the stage of non-payment where I am now. What happens next? Do they simply drop it and those with issue don’t come back with the ourcome? Is there a Legal Bar Website I can search to see if there are any actual Munn or D Lloyd court cases with an actual ourcome? Thanks

Edited by fairness2010

• 3 months later...

Yes, News seems to be they gave up chasing me- so far anyway (3mth+).They have no legal way of enforcing unfair contract terms like this.

They rely on the fact 80% of people will panic when they get the solicitors Munn letter after the Arc threat.

They really are a bunch of unprofessional bully boys.

They should concentrate on what they are supposed to be doing. Offering a professional sports and leisure service without the B*ll.

Write them a heavy handed letter and forget about their threats. Then advise others to cancel and join a proper outfit. Thanks for the post.

• 1 month later...

I joined David Lloyd 2 months ago and just before i signed the contract I asked the member of staff with me; "if i want to cancel my membership i have to give one months notice in writing." the reply I was given was "yes just send us a letter with you membership number and reason". Last month I sent a letter and gave them one moths notice after the month had passed i stopped my DD, I then got a call from david lloyd and they said I can't cancel my membership, I then tried ot explain what i was told and all they said they would send me a copy of my contract. So my question is have I got a leg to stand on.

Hi WinGirl and welcome to CAG.

The above post has been answered on your own thread by Conniff.

Please don't multi-post or we end up with stuff all over the shop. :madgrin:

Thanks 8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)