• Tweets

• This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
    • oh no just logged in and it says a judgment was issued literally 2 hours ago! see attached Screenshot 2024-04-29 214754.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

£86 phone bill debt becomes £766 in 4yrs. Is this fair?

julius
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, Need some advise.

Had a phone bill outstanding which was passed on to a debt collection agency. I was paying off this phone bill and was now left only to pay £86.48. This was in October 2005. By that time I had soo many financial problems that I sunk into a hole and hide away from the debt.I moved house quite often and forgot about the £86 debt. I am currently on a DMP and sort of managing. But just recently had a letter from a debt collection agency (Roxburghe) claiming the amount to be £766.00. I spoke to the one call operator from the debt collecting agency who informed me that this had been sold on to them by 3G Hutchinson and on speaking to 3G they told me this was sold onto HFO who I am assuming sold it to on to Roxburghe.

My main thing is how it came to this humongous amount? Is this possible or fair at all? I know they have they fees and all that but a whole £680 profit?? Any advise would be much appreciated guys.

DO NOT PAY THEM ONE PENNY. There are alot of HFO threads on this forum.

From 2005 to 2010 is 5 years, if you didn't make any payment in 2004 then the debt is STATUTE BARRED and they will have no chance of collecting.

Ignore their threats, they CANNOT increase the debt and if they take you to court your other creditors will be taken into consideration.

HFO/Roxburghe and their friendly solicitors, Turnbull Rutherford should be reported to Merton Trading Standards who are investigating the tactics of these scoundrels. Contact them and make sure they have the details.

Thanks for the replies guys. The last payment I made was on 19 October 2005 to the very 1st debt collectors, Moorcroft. On calling them a few weeks ago the told me 3G ahd paid off the remaining £86 on 26 Nov 2005. I am assuming 3G then sold this onto the other debt collecting agencies. Should I just try and avoid them until October 2010 making it the 5years since my last payment??? I should mention that I add contacted the current collectors and they want to agree on a £60/mnth payment plan of which I have not agreed to as I told them I need to get hold of 3G to find out more about the debt. 3G were of no help as they say they sold it onto HFS.

Again thanks for your responses.

Edited by julius
additonal info

Don't speak to these people on the phone, send the prove it letter from the templates, are you absolutely sure it was 2005? These cretins have a habit of chasing debts just before they become statued barred, It may be worth a SAR in the future to see when last payment was made.

What ever do not admit or pay anything just send the prove it letter from the templates.

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

2 threads merged, please stick to the one thread, it is easier to follow :)

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

• 2 weeks later...

Please may you point me out to the "prove it letter" as I can't seem to find it? I just received a very cheeky and some what rude letter from Roxburge all talking about how they are "surprised " at my failure to respond, statutory interest, guy at my door etc...

I do stress alot when I see these letters and just wanna know from you guys if u think I shld do the letter or as mentioned by "Jogs", just wait????

Thanks.

Julius

Send them this; http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

Also by the sounds they are in breach of OFT guidelines, have a read of; http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

Particularly; Page 7

Charging for debt collection

2.9 Charges should not be levied unfairly.

2.10 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

Edited by cerberusalert

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the same as the subject access that I have to enclose a £10 cheque or postal or postal order?

Thanks.

No it's a letter telling them to prove a debt exists & costs you nothing... send it recorded delivery unsigned.

Thanks. I've just sent that out now and will update if or when I do hear from them.

Thanks again.

Julius

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

This is the letter I sent out to Roxburge:

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

I received a reply from them. In the reply they have stated the Contract start date, Contract disconnection date and ( Last amout paid on 07-06-05) together with their Interest charges and original balance. Original balance is what I am disputing.

There's really isn't much info I am getting from this reply. They dates of last payment are inconsistent with what I have from the last debt collecting agency I dealt with for this account. Last payment was made to Moorcroft was 19 October 2005 leaving outsatnding balance at £86.

Is this the only info they were suppossed to give to me with the letter I sent out and is there another letter I can send out to them requesting detailed info of this debt? This mobile phone contract was taken out instore at a superdrug outlet with 3G hence I believe will be bound to the consumer credit act of 1974. I also just remembered that I had placed a £150 deposit paid with my credit card when I first took the contract out which I am not sure if it was paid back or even added to their final figure.

Please advise guys and again thank you for all the help and feed back.

Regards

Branden

Edited by julius

Mobile contracts are not covered by the Act. Unless your contract stipulated that they can add charges, which they rarely do, they cannot add any charges.

Have you received your SAR back from 3G yet?

Hi,

I haven' t sent 3G a SAR. All I have sent is the letter you suggested I send out and that was to Roxburge.

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

Shoud I do the SAR? And should I send it to 3G or Roxburge? 3G have told me that they sold this onto HFO and all info should be requested from them. HFO have sold this onton Roxburge.

Under the circumstances I would send a SAR to 3G to see exactly what has occurred with this a/c and what the balance was when sold on. They have to keep this information for six years from when the a/c was sold.

Ok. I will do that now and post it out 1st thing tomorrow morning. Should I in the mean time inform Roxburge of this because they will be in contact very soon?

Thanks

Under the circumstances I would send a SAR to 3G to see exactly what has occurred with this a/c and what the balance was when sold on. They have to keep this information for six years from when the a/c was sold.

I was just reading the SAR and was thinking if it's better sending it to Roxburge as they still will have to provide all the info related to that debt? Orignal signed agreement, and any other info from 3G etc??? Two birds with one stone.

• 1 month later...

Wrote the subject access out to 3G Hutchinson sum 20 days ago, £10 postal order included, They have just written to me today stating that I should write to their Data Protection department.

Now, they haven't returned the £10 postal order. When I write to the Data Protection department should I mention that I have already sent the £10 payment to 3 customer services and do I have to do another subject access? Do the 20 days gone by count towards the 40days and if they do should I put this in the letter as-well?

Thanks.

When I write to the Data Protection department should I mention that I have already sent the £10 payment to 3 customer services and do I have to do another subject access?
Make a complaint to the ICO, they should have passed the request on to the relevant department. https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx