Quite Frightened

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, a few weeks ago I was late for work by 4 hours due to unavoidable traansport problems. (First time Ive been over 10minutes late)

When I came into work the next day, I was told my reasons were not good enough and was suspended on full pay. I have to go into work for an investigation at some point, and was just wondering if anyone here had any idea if this could be classed as Gross Misconduct?

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Thanks so much for the prompt reply Elpulpo!

1:11 Months

2:No

3:None realy, it was a Sunday so we werent that busy at all. They could have coped quite well without me.

4:Yes they have, it tells me when the investigation is and that they may decide to discipline me.

Thanks so much for the prompt reply Elpulpo!

1:11 Months

2:No

3:None realy, it was a Sunday so we werent that busy at all. They could have coped quite well without me.

4:Yes they have, it tells me when the investigation is and that they may decide to discipline me.

Thanks for answering the questions! So often people just go off on one.:)

Were you late due to the weather/public transport?

What size is the company? Standard disciplinary/performance rules?

• Haha 1

A combination of weather and public transport. However my manager has spoken to the transport depot who said everything was running normally. They havent replied to my email asking why I didnt see a bus yet.

It's a very large branded company, but it is a franchise with about 70 people. It's very nearly retail work, so it's pretty standard rules.

Assuming for the moment your company are being fair and not trying to "downsize" on the cheap.....

Can you obtain any independent proof of the transport delays (local newspaper report for example). In other words prove you didn't just get up four hours late! Providing you made a reasonable effort to get there on time there should be no further issue.

Sadly, as you have worked there for less than a year your protection is limited.

Is there any reason to believe they are generally unhappy with your performance and are simply looking for specific point?

PLEASE NOTE:

I limit myself to responding to threads where I feel I have enough knowledge to make a useful contribution. My advice (and indeed any advice on this type of forum) should only be seen as a pointer to something you may wish to investigate further. Never act on any forum advice without confirmation from an accountable source.

Assuming for the moment your company are being fair and not trying to "downsize" on the cheap.....

Can you obtain any independent proof of the transport delays (local newspaper report for example). In other words prove you didn't just get up four hours late! Providing you made a reasonable effort to get there on time there should be no further issue.

Sadly, as you have worked there for less than a year your protection is limited.

Is there any reason to believe they are generally unhappy with your performance and are simply looking for specific point?

Just what I was going to say.

It'd be disproportionate for them to dismiss. Hard to fight under 12 months service.

Theyve just sponsored me on a degree, so I dont think theyre looking to get rid of me. The bus apparently takes a different route on Sunday so that was why I was late. I was unfamiliar with the area/bus route on Sunday so stood expecting a bus for some time.

Forgive me if I'm being obtuse and I don't mean I disagree with your case, but how did the transport problems mean you were 4 hours late please? And did you ring in on the day to say things were going badly?

Just trying to understand. My best.

Illegitimi non carborundum

FBC, re-reading your first post, you say you've been off for some weeks now? And you don't have a date for a meeting yet? It sounds quite long to me, although others on this forum know more than I do. Does the firm have a disciplinary procedure and do you have a copy?

Hi,

Being late for work dismissals are very had to defend.

You can show that you are the best worker in the ,but there is no excuse for a bad time keeper[even if you are a few minutes late]

At the end of the day the business comes first and foremost in the eyes of any court of law.

If you are fired then i suggest you put this down to experiance.

Good luck.

Was this the first time you had to travel to work by public transport on a sunday?

You say the bus takes a different route on sundays, how significantly different - is it a couple of roads different or enough that you would need to use an additional bus to get the the altered route? Also, was this change of route a new thing?

Answers may not help but you never know what helps,

Feebee_71

Hey, the bus-route was drastically different and I hadnt caught the bus on a Sunday before. Had my disciplinary earlier today. Formal warning and told to do better in future. They were quite pleasant about the whole thing realy. I'm sorry I was vague, but I know a couple of co-workers inhabit these forums.

Many thanks for all your help guys. I'm sorry if I hindered you with a lack of info.

Thankd again. You were all a realy great help :-)

I'm pleased for you, FBC. Chalk it up to experience and try to take advice or check bus routes at the weekend if you're in that situation again. Do you have colleagues who live near you and know about buses or trains, if they apply? They might even give you a lift. :)

Move on with your life and your degree now. My best.

• Haha 1