• Tweets

• again a quick google search states   Appeal a DVLA fine - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to appeal a fine you've had from DVLA because your vehicle was not taxed, insured, or you did not tell DVLA you no longer have the vehicle i would not be appealing. they have 6mts. see where they go. dx  
    • There are a number of reasons why you may not have been issued a notice in the post within 14 days. If you were stopped by the police it may have been given verbally. In the case of speeding offences, the police may issue you with a conditional offer of a fixed penalty of 3 points and £100.00 fine by post or an offer of a speed awareness course. If the offence is considered too serious for a speed awareness course or fixed penalty you may be charged with an offence which normally occurs by way of the issue of a Single Justice Procedure Notice. If the vehicle within which the alleged offence took place was registered to another person or company there is technically no need for a notice to be issued to the driver. After the police have obtained details of the nominated the driver, they will normally send the notice to them, although there are no time limits within which they must do so (provided that the notice was received within 14 days by the registered keeper of the vehicle). In such circumstances, a person may receive a notice several months after the alleged offence too place but still be prosecuted. A Guide to a Notice of Intended Prosecution | Motoring Offence Lawyers the above copy n paste link has purely been copy n pasted here to inform you of the regs, which you could have done yourself by, as this is, a google search......... we do not ever recommend using such offered webservices! dont dx    
    • all DYL's are subject to a TRO. looking at this newish, ever increasing as old ind units have gotten removed, estate, there are only lines on one side, on the other there is a parking lane with traffic calming through which you mention. i seriously doubt your mate has any clue what he is talking about.!! its not a private housing assoc estate. so its a public council owned road. no construction co can just decide to draw their graffiti on a road. the DYLs are certainly there pre 2016 even before his home was built. now ive had a quick look to see if the main access to royal park road has signs. there is no royle park road even on your map but there is a royal barn road which leads to where you are parked royal road has a restriction sign on the pole by the fence of the electric substation jnc with gipsy lane there does not appear to be one leading in from the other end - tesco petrol station
    • Hi All. I was driving in Stevenage down a 40 road after coming off the motor way, i noticed my car felt a little "weird" i accelerated, then slowed the car down.  Shortly after i got stopped by a manned police car with a laser. During the stop the officer stated i was doing 54 in a 40, the conversation was short, but he said i would unlikely get a awareness course and it was most likely 3 points and a fine.  Mrs thought it was a good idea to have dairy when she is lactose intolerant on date night, we just got on our way.  At the time, i didnt admit to the offence, but did say i didnt realise and had slowed down in any case. The officers chest camera was recording and on. At the stop, he asked where to send the fine to, as i knew i would be travelling to visit family up north, i provided my temporary details at that location in Yorkshire. It is now 05/05 and i haven't received anything at either my home address in Stevenage or the temporary address. 1. Is there a time limit in which paperwork needs to be sent to me. 2. Should i query the ticket as i don't want to miss any deadlines (if so who do i check with?) OR should i keep quiet. 3. Given nothing has arrived in 20 days, is there a chance of appeal if and when it comes through? Many thanks CrazeUK
    • Hi All. A family friends car was having issues when she was on a trip visiting family up north at the beginning of January.  She ended up leaving it at my friends garage in the same location, who parked it on his forecourt to investigate the issue, however he said most likely it is beyond economical repair as its a serious gearbox fault. In the meantime i replaced her car with one of my spare cars. The insurance on the car then expired in at the end of January.  When the insurance expired, I sent a paper V890 paper as i didnt have her V5 Reference number in hand to do it online (i have a copy of this).  She didnt mention she hadnt received any confirmation as she didnt know if she would get one.  She then cancelled her road tax at the end of March (i think) as she was paying by DD. She then was travelling up north so didnt get her mail until last week. She received a letter dated 09/04/2024 stating she had failed to insure the vehicle and there was a £100 fine which could be reduced to £50 if she responds by 11/05/2024.  As soon as we noticed, i got her to dig  out the V5 and SORN'd the vehicle.   My friend has been a bit slow in checking the fault, however i suspect it will still be scrapped and is still on his forecourt. Is this possible to appeal?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

New Claim (£3043.25)

Trancendent
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6401 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Actually sent my first note in via the messages on online banking, and got back a standard response via letter registering a complaint and saying that they couldn't provide the details only statements, which I could get from my branch.

This was a relatively quick response.

Then 2 days later a the mailman staggered up the drive with a large ream of paper containing copy statements from the last 6 years.

Actually these made for some quite scary reading, in one month HSBC charged me over £400 in charges. Wow!

So I am initiating my claim for any amount they charged me over £10, coming to £3043.25, and let's see what they come back with.

I'm not claiming the debit interest as I'm not sure about the calculations, but if it goes to court then I shall be adding my 8%.

Thanks,

Will

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

Sent S.A.R via email- 08/08/06 :confused:

Rec'd Std letter : Asking me to quantify claim and use internet banking - 14/08/06 :evil:

Rec'd 6 years bank statements and Std letter apologising for delay - 17/08/06 :rolleyes:

Prelim Claim for £3173.25 Sent via post and email - 17/08/06 :cool: Rec'd std letter : Don't agree unenforceable, we think we'd win in court etc, blah, blah, blah. :mad:

MCOL Filed for £4042.64 - 22/09/06

Capital One : Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) - 17/08/06

CitiCard : Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) - 17/08/06

Why are you initiating your claim for any amount over £10?

• Confused 1

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

That was a quick response !

Because of the OFT ruling amount being £12 .... I haven't posted the prelim letter yet, are you suggesting I should claim for all of it ?

That would make it £3,173.25

Will

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

Rec'd Std letter : Asking me to quantify claim and use internet banking - 14/08/06 :evil:

Rec'd 6 years bank statements and Std letter apologising for delay - 17/08/06 :rolleyes:

Prelim Claim for £3173.25 Sent via post and email - 17/08/06 :cool: Rec'd std letter : Don't agree unenforceable, we think we'd win in court etc, blah, blah, blah. :mad:

Yes, claim for all of it! The OFT's report didn't actually state that the £12 should be used as a cut off point, merely saying that anything over this figure couldn't be considered as anything other than a penalty, not a charge.

• Confused 1

28/07/06 - Prelim letter sent to HSBC for £3648

31/07/06 - Letter rec'd at HSBC

14/08/06 - LBA sent to HSBC

16/08/06 - LBA rec'd at HSBC

22/08/06 - Finally!! first reply from HSBC offering £2000

23/08/06 - Letter to HSBC declining offer, saying I want ALL my money!!

31/08/06 - MCOL filed for £4551.96, to be deemed served on 06/09/06

05/09/06 - HSBC Acknowledge claim

22/09/06 - DG Solicitors offer full amount in settlement, I accept!!

27/09/06 - Full amount paid into my acount

28/09/06 - Full amount taken out of my account!!!!!:mad:

29/09/06 - Cheque arrives, FOR SOMEBODY ELSE!! with all their account details in a letter adressed to me!!!

29/09/06 - HSBC refuse to pay money back into my account

If I have been of any help, please click on the scales in the top right corner! :)

Best make it £3,173 then .....

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

Claim it all, it is your money unlawfully taken.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Sent the prelim letter for £3173, schedule via post today, and also posted it via internet banking's messages function.

Thanks for your comments people!

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

Good luck Will! Just think, if it goes as far as court you could be asking for 4k! My claim was for 3k and as it went to court I added interest and court fees on and have just received an offer for £3800.

Stick at it and get your cash back!!!

Louise

I shall keep on the case, like it has been pointed out above - it's my money that they have removed from my account!

Why shouldn't I have it back from them?

I have also sent away to capital one and citicard for their cc charges as well, so the overall sum might be well over £5k when you add them all together!

Thanks for the support !

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

Received another standard letter today :-

Apparently, they 'Do not agree with my contention that the charges that have been imposed by the bank constitute a penalty charge and are therefore unenforceable', shame that ...... they are also claiming that they could win a legal challenge (of course they would SAY that!) :)

Question is, should I wait till the 14 days expire in case I get another response, or should I just send them an LBA now ?

Thanks,

Will

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

Opinion is divided on this. As they have already stated that they will not issue a refund and that they could win a legal challenge then there would appear to be no need to wait, they are unlikely to change their position and send you a cheque.

However, some would argue that in the interests of being fair and reasonable it is wise to demonstrate that you have given them every opportunity and have tried to avoid litigation at all costs.

It's your call, although you have waited this long for the money, what's a few more days?

Its up to you Will but personally I would wait. If the case were to go to court (it wont) at least the judge could see that you had been reasonable and given the amount of time stated in your Prelim. Anyhow, you never know, they are so snowed under you may even receive an offer before the 14 days are up. There are threads around where people have received a bog off letter and an offer a day later.

Up to you, either way you will get your money back

Good luck

Louise

xx

Thinking that 'at all costs' would include attempting a dialogue over why their charges are unenforceable. maybe a letter in between, politely explaining why their terms and conditions are unfair, and giving them another attempt to explain their charges ?

Will

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

Shall wait till 14 days has expired, then shall send an LBA but that should give me time to add the debit interest on the charges to the amount.

Thanks for the help...

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

• 3 weeks later...

OK, have sent LBA and had another letter saying that they do not agree that their charges are illegal etc, go to the Financial Ombudsman etc, and that that is again their final word on the matter.

So now proceeding to the MoneyClaim....

That 1080 character limit is a bit of a pain, and I could do with someone checking my particulars statement.

I'm thinking of something like this :-

The Claimant has account 01181718 ('the Account') with the Defendant, over the last 6 years the Defendant debited 100 charges to the Account; a schedule of charges is supplied.

The Claimant contends that the charges debited to the Account exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant; and are not related to any alleged actual loss, but unduly enrich the Defendant with a view to profit.

The contract clause under which the Defendant has levied charges is unenforceable under the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999), the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977

and common law.

The Claimant claims for the return of fees taken (£ 3173.25), court costs, interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at 8%/year as per the attached schedule (£749.39) Interest at that rate up to the date of judgment or payment at a rate of 87p/day.

Sound OK ?

Thanks in advance, Will

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

• 2 weeks later...

MCOL Filed today against HSBC for

£3173.25 Charges

£120 Costs

£749.39 Interest

£4042.64 Total

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

I intend to, then the credit card companies are next, thanks for the support :)

Willl

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

• 2 weeks later...

MCOL has been acknowledged with intention to enter a defence, but no other contact has been received.

So do I just wait and see now?

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've recieved an offer from DG for £3547.11 with an attached confidentiality agreement (My court claim with and fees + interest is £4068.74, but only £3173.25 of charges), the question I have is how to respond to them.

Do I send a letter declining the offer as a full settlement, but accepting it only as a part payment ? Or do I just ignore it and wait, as there are only 10 days left for them to enter a defence ....

I've hacked the std letter about a bit, can someone give me some comments before I send it today.

I was thinking of a fax to them, something like this :-

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/xxxx.

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you settle the full amount on the previously faxed schedule (£xxxx.xx).

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder, via the existing county court claim ref xxxxxxxx.

You now have until xx/xx/xxxx to respond satisfactorily to the court claim before I apply for a court judgement against you.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully,

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

I am so glad you have had this offer. We are like mirror images. I have had similar bank charges applied and am also going after Capital 1 & Citicard. Lets hope we both have a good Xmas. This year started with a phone call from HSBC telling me I was overdrawn by £42 & I thought New Years Day was a bank holiday! Well next year will be! Keep at it Im just behind you waiting for a reponse to my Prelim letter 8 days to go before the LBA!

HSBC 1st preliminary letter £3692 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

HSBC 1st Preliminary Letter £3280 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

Capital 1 SADR 11.10.006

Halifax Visa SADR 11.10.06

CITI SADR 12.10.06

HSBC Gold card SADR 23.10.06

Or maybe even this ?

See if they are prepared to pay more for a confidentiality clause ?

Response to settlement offer on court claim

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your letter dated 13/10/2006 detailing your client’s ‘ex-gratia’ offer of £3547.11

Unfortunately the amount of £3547.11 is not a settlement of the full amount claimed, and therefore I am unable to allow this to account for a ‘full and final’ settlement of the claim.

I am also unable to agree to the confidentiality clause detailed in your letter.

I can only accept the sum offered as part settlement and then only on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder, via the existing county court claim ref 6QZ66214.

However, if you were to make me an unconditional offer for the full amount (£4068.74) it would be immediately accepted.

Should you wish to make a settlement that includes a confidentiality clause and no admission of liability, then alternatively I would consider a higher offer than £4068.74.

You now have until 28/10/2006 to respond satisfactorily before I apply for a court judgement against you.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully,

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

I am so glad you have had this offer. We are like mirror images. I have had similar bank charges applied and am also going after Capital 1 & Citicard. Lets hope we both have a good Xmas. This year started with a phone call from HSBC telling me I was overdrawn by £42 & I thought New Years Day was a bank holiday! Well next year will be! Keep at it Im just behind you waiting for a reponse to my Prelim letter 8 days to go before the LBA!

I was defaulted by both Capital One and Citicard, and I'll have those *a$%^&" for the charges that they piled on.

Just ignore all of the standard letters that you get and stick to your timetable.

You will get letters saying that they disagree with you, but I think they'll only listen when you issue court action, so make sure you stick it out.

I faxed my schedule to DG at 1:30 pm, and the offer was delivered via the snail mail by the next morning.

Thanks,

Will

HSBC:

You are on the right lines - but DG will just enter a defence on day 28 (as they have done today in mycase) to prevent you from requesting judgement. so i am not sure I would use that as a threat - I would just remove the following - the reset seems fine

"You now have until 28/10/2006 to respond satisfactorily before I apply for a court judgement against you."

My advise if free and is worth exactly as much as you paid for it….

HSBC 28 Oct 2006 Personal accounts ~ Offered and accepted ~ £3514 :)

HSBC 15 Sep 2006 Business ~ Offered and accepted ~ £4980 :)

MBNA 7 Sep Offered and accepted £2290 - (my amount £1170 plus Compound Interest) using the "phone call method" :o

FREEWAY 28th Oct ~ offered and acepted £506 :)

TSB VISA MCOL £300 - court date 27th March 2007