• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ebay sellers some are over charging

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was looking for some big hard drives recently (500 gb & 1TB) and I noticed some from China at 99p....postage was £63 !.

The problem can be if item is faulty you return it and get back your original quid !

Andy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just add your bid price to the stated delivery cost.

If its ok, then bid if you like.

If not, keep looking.

Let Ebay worry about their loss of income. They dont care about your finances, why should anyone but Ebay care about theirs?

Ebay seem to be trying to ditch the small sellers by making it uneconomical to list, so eventually it will just become a vitual shopping centre and all the peeps unwanted, but interesting and possibly valuable collectables you just cant find anywhere else, will end up where they did before Ebay arrived- in landfill dumps.

Its Ebays fault really.

The costs of getting stuff from a seller to the buyer should simply be called a delivery or shipping charge- for that is what it is.

It would save a lot of heartache. Calling it "postage costs" has buyers frantically looking at the price of the stamps to see if theyve been "overcharged", forgeting that someone had to pack it up and get to a post office (could be a long bus ride away or cost them in petrol and parking) and queue up for 30 mins) all to save you hassle of having to go out and get it yourself.

One solution I thought up was having Ebay enforce a system where the seller had to quote separately for postage, packaging and administration (if applicable) costs. The seller would have to briefly explain what the administration charge entailed in their listing. That's transparency and can't be beat. So as not to put off Ebay newbies it could only apply to those that have already sold 10 items say. That would just involve a small software tweak. Everyone has the Royal Mail website at their disposal, well if they made it to Ebay they do, and can easily get hold off some cheap electronic scales and a pricing in proportion ruler for about £10. All of this could save a lot of unnecessary arguments. Bidder understands; bidder decides; bidder is happy. :)

Edited by renegotiation

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

ebay seem to be in cahoots with these, and I think these prices are far more

reasonable than the likes of Royal Mail.

https://www.myhermes.co.uk/wps/portal/PN_CTR/

I think I will start using these in the very near future.;)

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Why?

I think it would make Ebay a better and happier place. I used to have exactly the same view as you by the way and do understand what you're saying.

No other sellers have to justify their overheads to potential buyers or provide a breakdown of how they arrived at the price for the service.

Some retailers do voluntarily. I'm not sure what the law is on this. I would be surprised if there wasn't some law covering extortionate p and p in some way.

Buyers either accept the total cost or reject it.

Some buyers do take the p and p quote in good faith though. That's just the way it is. I'm not one of those buyers, but they exist and have a right to see it like that. All these arguments can be avoided with a fully transparent system.

Yes, some buyers take the view you express, however they are wrong.

'Wrong' because they see it different to how you and I see it? Come on, that isn't really fair. You are just saying that because it suits you I would guess. If Ebay had a third column next to 'item cost' and 'p and p cost' in their listngs such as 'total cost', then that would make it a lot easier for buyers to compare items. Maybe that might ease some of your concerns? If a bidder had all the costs explained to them, then i'm sure they would still happily opt for a lower 'total cost' that included an admin charge than a higher 'total cost' that didn't.

It's not just sellers that need to be more fair and transparent. Ebay does too!

In the end, the Enterprise Act would prohibit sellers being forced to justify or reveal their costs in the way you describe.

I think the government lets Ebay do whatever they like... :D

Edited by renegotiation

"If Ebay had a third column next to 'item cost' and 'p and p cost' in their listngs such as 'total cost', then that would make it a lot easier for buyers to compare items"

You mean-

Item cost+Delivery=Total cost?

If people are unable to add two figures together for themselves, should they even be using an internet shopping site?

If as you suggest, sellers were forced to give a breadown of their overheads, do you think the large business sellers such as Tesco, Comet PC World etc (which Ebay are keen to stay on board) do you think they would:

1) lie down and take it, or

2) take action to enforce their rights under the Enterprise Act claiming damages caused by Ebay's unlawful actions?

"If Ebay had a third column next to 'item cost' and 'p and p cost' in their listngs such as 'total cost', then that would make it a lot easier for buyers to compare items"

You mean-

Item cost+Delivery=Total cost?

If people are unable to add two figures together for themselves, should they even be using an internet shopping site?

I know you weren't being deliberately mean, but many people are poor at maths. I don't think they should be excluded from Ebay. :) Furthermore, I am at excellent (just making a point, not boasting!) at maths and having a few pages to trawl through with differing item costs and p and p costs can be a bit time consuming when trying to figure out what's cheapest.

If as you suggest, sellers were forced to give a breadown of their overheads, do you think the large business sellers such as Tesco, Comet PC World etc (which Ebay are keen to stay on board) do you think they would:

1) lie down and take it, or

2) take action to enforce their rights under the Enterprise Act claiming damages caused by Ebay's unlawful actions?

I wasn't saying they have to give a 'detailed breakdown' of their overheads. They have to confirm the postage cost, the packaging cost and the remaining cost. The seller could then have an option to clarify the remaining cost or just call it administration. The bidder can then make their decision. As I said, buyers will be happy with costs that are explained. If it's all reasonable then no one would have a problem with it.

peeps overcharge on shipping because they are trying to make some money... a difficult thing these days on ebay.

Why isn't there a viable alternative to ebay?

I detest them, and their stinky attitude towards sellers, and they have it all their own way because there is nowhere else to go.

If a decent alternative showed up, and users switched, then things might be different. Vote with your feet folks. I much prefer amazon TBH.

I love Ebay and when bidding on items always take into account P&P. I generally go for new stuff, with a seller who's had positive feedback.

Now I've made the above statement what's the betting something will go wrong?

The very first time I used Ebay my order didn't arrive. I emailed the seller who said she had posted it. It was only £6 so she hadn't sent recorded. So, she thought I was lying and I thought she was lying. The item did arrive but it had taken 1 month for 2nd class from the date she posted it.

Good old Royal Mail. I emailed to tell her and she was very relieved. As someone said earlier, always send recorded or at least get a certificate of posting.

But other things have been fine.

The very first time I used Ebay my order didn't arrive. I emailed the seller who said she had posted it. It was only £6 so she hadn't sent recorded. So, she thought I was lying and I thought she was lying. The item did arrive but it had taken 1 month for 2nd class from the date she posted it.

Good old Royal Mail. I emailed to tell her and she was very relieved. As someone said earlier, always send recorded or at least get a certificate of posting.

But other things have been fine.

I have met some real idiots on Ebay! Worst experience I had was someone claiming I hadn't paid them when I sent off concealed cash registered mail. I have been ripped off about 5 or 6 times. :( Nothing over £50 though.

And if Ebid ever gets any sort of following, that will be gobbled up too.

Knowing our government they will probably let it happen. Ebay/Paypal is seriously BENT.

"Ebay/Paypal is seriously BENT."

No argument there.

It was innocent fun when it started. Getting money for your old tat, then spending it on someone elses old tat!

Then the rot set in. [problematic] were tolerated and tacitly encouraged.

Then, in trying to clean it up they made it difficult for honest smalls ellers to sell. Bumped up fees, bought the corrupt monstrosity that is Paypal and made Paypal compulsory, along with its fees, grabbing bucket loads of cash from seller's. I could go on.

I stopped using Ebay for fun, apart from buying the occasional everyday stuff sometime ago.

Hi Jan4a, I sell on ebay & I try to charge low P&P, all my items are weighed prior to being listed.I too have seen things I like only to see the postage costs!! Ebay are meant to be clamping down on overcharging for P&P but I guess while people will pay it nothing will be done. Makes me very angry :mad:

Makes me very angry :evil:

Hi soulbumblebee

It did me until people on here explained that in some instances its because sellers are trying to pay less commission to ebay so they up the postage instead of the price. I understand that now. BUT others will still be trying to rip people off (as with Godmother above). It seems a bit of a minefield. Best just to look at the total price I think!

How are they "overcharging"?

Sellers can charge for the postage, packing and handling it costs them to get the widget from them to you. Only the seller knows what this cost is.

The seller stated this cost in the listing, so a prospective buyer knows exactly how much they need to pay.

If the seller then asks for more on top- that would be overcharging.Technically that is right, however charging a fiver to deliver a kids shirt is just not what it costs that person. That package needs some stamps on it and then to be chucked in a postbox. This is someone avoiding ebay's fees, and while I have no issue with that idea, it stops me buying from that person. I'd be willing to bet that this in turn will lead at some point to ebay deciding that sellers should all offer free postage for clothing because postage is putting people off:rolleyes:

Paypal hold on to payments to newbie sellers for 21 days until they have a bit of a track record. In the past [problematic] were signing up as newbies, defrauding others of thousands and disappearing without a trace.Well that would work as a theory if everything was held when you start selling, but it's not the case. The only payment held out of nearly 20 listings was the watch at over £80. All the others which were much lower in price went through no problem, and it's this sort of thing that [problematic] sell - cheap mobile batteries for instance as a true story that my OH got stung with; a few hundred were sold at a bargain price, none are sent out and by the time ebay deign to step in all the money's gone. By the time OH realised something was wrong he checked the sellers feedback again and there were hundreds of negs. They don't tend to sell high value items as people will chase too hard for their money. A few quid on a battery however is not worth it for the individual, but the bloke who did the [problem] had sold hundreds at a few quid each.

A newbie will get their money after 21 days as long as the buyer gets their widget (or you can prove that they have of they try and pull a fast one- always, always send or return stuff by RD at least) Until the buyer 'forgets' to send it recorded and still claims their money back. I've had this happen many times with my other account and there's sod all ebay will do about it because the perpetually honest buyer has said they sent it. A few years ago I had a buyer neg me for not receiving some kiddies toy. They had signed the recorded delivery slip, but Ebay would not remove the neg as they said it could have been signed for by a friend. Yes, a friend who lived in the buyer's house and had the buyers initial.

Once you have over 10 feedback, the 21 days is lifted and you can download your money.No, once you have over 10 Detailed Seller Ratings they lift it, it's completely different. Apart from anything, there's an army of people who don't agree with those ratings so don't use them - me included - you only have to read the forums to see the irritation this rating incites. I never overcharge on my postage, the maximum is about 20p for the cost of the (new) envelopes or boxes I use, and yet on my 1200+ feedback account my 'postage charge' DSR is about 4.6. People have actually marked me down for charging 20p odd for new packaging! In any case, it's not just lifted forevermore, they still reserve the right to withold payments regardless, again as they have done with my well established account because apparently I became untrustworthy after several years of selling. Why would they not? It means your money sits in their account earning them interest for 3 weeks. Lovely.

If it was really about stopping fraudsters they'd have shut down the bloke selling the batteries after the 20th complaint. Did they? well, no; it earned them a nice fee every time he sold one and they can tell the customer there's nothing they can do as it's under £15 so not protected by the PayPal payment they forced them to use.

All that said, as a buyer I do still really like ebay (ignoring the postage issue:)). For kids clothes it's fantastic and my boys look spanking all the time for very little money. Also just for the stuff that is very hard to find, it's an excellent resource. It will be very sad I think when ebay force out the small sellers and it just becomes a big melting pot of business'.

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

As you havent paid the total price, the seller may simply send you a non-paying bidder warning. Too many of those and you get chucked off Ebay.

They have not done and it is also well documented that this was with the agreemen, kinda, of the seller as he siad they wanted me to pay a further £3 for them posting recorded delivery.

When i offered to send my own stuff as i was sending the postal order they were fine about it.

In total they then wanted £8 for delivery which is defently a rip off for a bag which weights less than 100g.

they were more than happy for me to pay for the postage at recorded delivery my self and did not even moan when they found out it was under £2.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.