• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

charges appeal goes with the banks!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

De'vo! :sad: I have a £600 debt with Moorcroft (debt sold from Natwest, well least I think!!), wholely due to bank charges, default notice fees etc. which I have been disputing since March this year! Does this mean I have to pay the scumbags now??! :mad:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just wrong on so many levels.

no avenue to appeal

we (the customers) accepted the charges to run a current account - exactly what choice did we have at the time?

Really annoyed but strangely not suprised

The banks gamble

The banks loose

The government uses our money to save the banks

The government prints money to buy bonds

The banks report record profits as the stock market has been artificially boosted

The rich get richer

I would strongly suspect government intervention here.

The Government were never going to allow it to happen.

They've given billions of taxpayers money to the banks, so they

weren't going to allow th banks to give these billions back

to the ... taxpayer.

Three words come to mind after hearing the decison this morning.

Mandelson, Poodle and Judge

would be interesting to see an official statement from the OFT. especially if it includes what actions they intend to take next in response to this shambolic judgement.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

So, it all drags on even longer - if the OFT don't have jurisdiction to decide what a fair overdraft charge is, then when does? The banks?

Welcome to UK Justice - the most ineffectual, loaded, painfully predictable, agonising sick joke that we have to live with in this country.

Wonder how much it costed for the court to be bought off.

OFT disappointed by Supreme Court judgment

137/09 25 November 2009

The OFT is disappointed by today's Supreme Court judgment, which overturns previous High Court and Court of Appeal rulings that unarranged overdraft charging terms can be assessed in full for fairness. It will also be disappointing for many consumers.

The OFT will now consider the detail of this judgment before it makes a decision on whether or not to continue its investigation into unarranged overdraft charging terms. It will also explore with others the implications for consumers and for existing and future legislation and regulation. The OFT expects to make a further announcement in December.

The OFT set out its concerns in relation to unarranged overdraft charges as part of its 2008 market study. This found that banks earn around a third of their retail revenues from unarranged overdraft charges that are difficult to understand, not transparent, and not subject to effective consumer control.

The OFT will be seeking discussions with banks, consumer organisations, the FSA and the Government in the light of this judgment.

Full response The Office of Fair Trading: OFT disappointed by Supreme Court judgment

I never thought the consumer would win. It would probably have meant more banks going cap in hand to the government and in this economic climate the country could not afford it. The country is financially broke and this this would run to billions so old school made sure they stuck together.

Well!

Congratulation to them who claimed at the beginning and got their money back, I just a few months too slow!

It is what we deserve. We (not I personally but we as in society) voted these retrobates in for another term even though we knew they were liers, sorry spinners to use the modern term.

I'll add to what others have said 'political will' is at it's root and it was ordained many months ago:

Government distances itself by creating supreme court

Record government borrowing released

Information about extra borrowing by banks released one day before verdict

FSA/OFT given perceived extra powers (which they already had)

I'm sure others could add to the list

It is a good job it is not the 1780's because we would be shouting:

For liberty, For equality, For fraternaty

Viva la Engaland

Revolution!

But surely there's still time for the Gov to step in and save the day just in the nick of time, i.e. before the election ??? :)

Funny how not so long ago it was reported millions were waiting for the outcome of this hearing...now it's 'tens of thousands.....'

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

think browns men have been having tea and bics with the bankers if this had gone in the favour of the consumer which it definitely should of done it would have brought the econonmy down to a grinding halt,they were never going to let this happen.

The real interesting thing now will be what will happen to all the millions the banks repaid recently to consumers,it will be the biggest on slaught in dca history, almost certainly putting some people in the debt spiral again but cheaper than having to pay all us back 100s of billions." thats justice for ya;)"

Oh and what about their new brainwave "lets charge the pesants at all the atm so they can get their own money out"

I know bankruptcys are increasing at an alarming rate in this country but i think the banks are trying their hardest to bankrupt UK ltd.

Edited by out of cash
error

Dannyboy; surely your not saying we are being manipulated?

Well, even dear old Aunt Lizzie supposedly said "..there are dark forces at work in this country, about which we know so little."

The whole thing stinks.

Never mind. In a few months time we get the chance to vote for ........ more of the same....... whichever of them gets in. :Cry:

Join in everybody - "It's the same, the whole world over, it's the poor wot get's the blame....."

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Out of Cash

Stop and think a moment, who is telling you that the econamy would have crashed if this had gone the way of us cannon foder? Why would it have come to a grinding halt? It could have had the oppersite effect and stimulated the econamy because the establishments would have had to start working again. These establishments are making money out of this recession. What was it they borrowed last November 30 bil and was paid back two months later - think about the magnitude of the figures we are talking about here. And hasn't it been mooted that Lloyds will be paying their borrowings back early THIS IS THEIR PROFITS WE ARE TALKING ABOUT?

Sorry but paying this out would have had little effect

I suspect that a lot of rejection letters are being prepared and packaged for posting out tomorrow. They'll hope to put off a lot of people this way by quoting the court case.

Beaten:

RBS: £4,500

AMEX: £4,200

Barclaycard Visa: £12,100

Barclaycard M/Card: £12,600

(Including the numerous DCAs they have set on me.)

PPI reclaims (into my bank account): £25,000

If you stop and think, we today are whimps compared to our forefathers, 100 years ago they stood up and marched and shouted for what we have given away in the last decade or so. Some Historians have even speculated that WW1 was induced to save the banks? because again banks make money out of war!

Here's a radical plan to get the banks to conform to what we want:

Were possible we start using cash instead of plastic even if it is a debit card - draw it out the hole in the wall, its free. Better still when we get paid were possible draw it all out and pay the bills in cash even if it has to be at the post office. Even better still try and get your employer to pay you in cash (not always possible) and we put what we have to into the bank.

This would acheave a number of things

1. put us back in control of what the banks are doing for us

2. get money circulating within the economy

3. create jobs - someones got to move the money around and count it

4. hurt the banking system - S/O takes 3/4 days, were is it ON DEPOSIT! earning interest.

5. it will stop you going overdrawn, unfortunately paying bills will come before going out, because having it in the physical will help with realisation

There is a big down side, and that is two fold: time and inclination. lets be fare we haven't the b*lls our forefathers had and as shown over the last few months the judicary haven't either. If women hadn't got the vote today would they get support to get it - no! - time and inclination.

The last paragraph say it all and my soap box is a waste of time Same senario as the jews in late 1930's Germany

Kel