• Tweets

• when did they (who) inform you there was a 'police case' and when was this attained? i will guess the debt is now SB'd as it's UAE 15yrs. have you informed the bsnk ever by email/letter of your correct and current address? you can always ignore anyone else accept the bank,  Block and bounce back all emails. Block any text messages  Ignore any letters unless it's: - a Statutory Demand - a Letter Of Claim - a Court Claimform via Northants bulk.  
    • I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
    • The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
    • No apology needed, thank you for what you do I am glad to hear they paid. well done on getting back what is yours
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Dont know what to do!!!

pink_stefy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5293 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I bank with HSBC and I am not sure if i can re-claim my bank charges.

I lost my job back in March and have had no money going in or out of my bank account and my partner (we're not married) is currently paying for everything (i don't receive benefits either) so i think i come under financial hardship (im not altogether sure).

Anyway i took a loan out with the money shop and of course there was no money in my account so the cheques bounced so i had to pay the full maount and a £25 charge per cheque to the money shop which was £75 plus the orginal loan amount.

I also recieved a £25 charge per cheque from HSBC which was another £75 which pushed me into my overdraft which resulted in another £25 charge for being overdrawn so i was £100 overdrawn just because of bank charges made by HSBC.

Then due to being overdrawn and no money in my account 2 direct debits bounced (£30 charge) before i had a chance to cancel them (which i have now done) resulting in being £160 overdrawn and add the interest onto that i am now £167.37 overdrawn which is all bank charges made by HSBC.

I cant pay it as i don't have a job and i receive up to 6 calls a day from them plus a final demand saying that if i don't pay then they will pass it onto debt collectors and it will be on my record for 6 years. I sent an email complaining about the service i received and have received a letter back saying they have investigated and say that all charges are correct and they offer no refund...Do I phone them and apply for financial difficulty and fight the bank charges or are they right in what they say?

Really need help because i don't know what do do

Any help in how to take the next step would be really appreciated

Edited by pink_stefy
not easily read

I'm sorry to say this but it would help if you would restructure your post above so that it becomes readable. This means if you could space it and also put in paragraphs. Some of us who work on this site full-time have a lot of reading to do and it is very difficult.

Without having read the whole thing -- yes you can reclaim your bank charges. All information is on the site and you should get going straight away.

If you can repost your story then we can have a look at the rest of it.

Thanks. That is much easier.

I'm afraid that you are caught in the charges spiral. It's the same for an enormous number of people and it is difficult to stop it.

You can think about applying for hardship if you want that generally speaking, don't bother. It's a waste of time. On the other hand it doesn't cost you anything to make the application. But don't let it get in the way of other more important things -- such as reclaiming your charges.

You should start reading this forum material in order to find out about submitting a SAR, getting all the information about your charges, and then making your claim. You can either make your claim to the ombudsman -- that this is broadly speaking a waste of time and it takes too long. You can also decide to make a claim through the courts and this is our recommended way that you should go.

As far as your credit file is concerned I'm afraid it's probably too late. Maybe later on if you can show that all of your indebtedness has been caused by bank charges then you will stand a chance of getting your file cleaned up that we will have to see.

You should think about opening a parachute account with another bank and try to use that in a way which doesn't attract any charges. Then write your existing account holder. Put them on notice that the account is in dispute and that you will be claiming that all of your charges.

The thing to do is to get busy and claim back those charges as soon as possible

Hi pink stefy , welcome to the forum :)

Bankfodder is our top man on here and as such is always kept busy with all forums and threads , not just HSBC .....

So, I'll try to outline a plan of campaign for you to follow:

First of all we need to find out just how much they owe you for those extortionate charges ...

Send a Subject Access Request (SAR ) asking them for all the info they have on you, which includes Credit Card Agreements , Credit Card statements , Loan agreements, Bank Statements ,and anything else with your name on it.

This will cost you a tenner – but well worth it in my opinion.............. there is a link here which you can adapt to your details and print off .........

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/110--data-protection-act-1998-subject-access-request-

Send it to :

UK Data Protection Compliance

HSBC Bank plc

Griffin House

4-01, 41 Silver Street Head

Sheffield

S1 3GG

They have 40 days to produce this information from when they received it – so it gives you breathing space to work out a plan of action ...... that means reading up on the FAQs on the forum to see how others have dealt with these problems ...........

Step by Step Instructions post OFT Test Case

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

But, as Bankfodder says, also think about having your everyday Income & Expenditure dealt with by another bank which is in no way connected with HSBC , or they can just grab your hard earned money as and when they think fit ,under 'Right of set-off '...which is perfectly legal ... they can use money from one account to clear debts from another in the same bank or bank group ......

What we're talking about is called a parachute account – and there is a link here which should help ........

Parachute Account

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/13832-do-you-need-parachute.html

but remember , it’s an account where you DON’T go overdrawn , use it for your everyday Income & Expenditure . It gives you space to work out your finances and deal with HSBC at your convenience , not theirs ...

So , start the ball rolling with a SAR and come back at any time and ask if you're in any doubt how to proceed .... someone will answer and we're user-friendly on here ..... :D

Edited by johnnymitch

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Thanks so so much for the advice as I'm only 23 all this a little daunting but my letter along with my £10 has been sent off....

I just wish the banks would realise what they do to people when they pull stunts like this...

I've suffered many a sleepless night due to HSBC and the fact that they make money off other peoples misery, its just plain wrong!!!...

They would do well to learn the phrase

"There but for the grace of God go I"

but sadly i don't think they will ever learn....

But much love and thanks for the help...x x x

Well done pink stefy ..... the first step is always the hardest ..... :)

btw , I meant to say , send everything by 'Special Recorded Delivery , so you can check it's progress ... but if you haven't this time , don't worry ...... :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

one thing I do have to mention is that you need to keep in touch with em. I did the whole "burying my head in the sand trick" and it came back with a vengeance and booted me up the bum!

Tell the people who count (i.e. lenders) that you havent got work, that you are depressed about it, that you arent well. Its soo important.

Keep them in the picture, keep on carrying your head high!

hugs

Adrian

Edited by adridude
spelling errors

From personal experience adridude, and not to disparage you in any way here, but there would be absolutely no point in telling them about the depression part, about not being well thru it etc, unless ur planning on suing them as well for health factors (now theres an idea). The bottom line, and this has been proven so many times on here, is the banks etc don't give a flying monkey's. All they want is the money, plain and simple. You only have to look at todays news to see how true that is: BBC News - Bankers 'need to join real world', minister says

pink_stef: the banks are NOT worth losing sleep over. You've taken the first step towards getting back what is rightfully urs. You have the power of this site and these people behind you. YOU are in charge now, NOT the banks.

Good luck, god bless and give em hell kid ;)

DCA's - they have the same power as an infinite number of untrained chimps working on a script for Hamlet, but the chimps would probably at least get it right :D

I'm afraid I have to agree with rayne here adridude .... they're not going to lose any sleep over you losing sleep ...........:rolleyes:

That display today shows just what shower of greedy , out-of touch ratbags (I'm not allowed to swear on here lol!) ...they are . ... and they have the gall to say they''ll resign if they don't get their way ..... b****y good riddance I say ........ shut the door after you .... :mad:

Only way to get even, pink stefy ..... is to hit 'em for what they owe you ... with interest ! :D......

Nemo me impune lacessit

no, the reason I say you HAVE to mention it is because it will be held on record. When the shyte hits the fan, its there; You did explain, you pointed out your position and they know. I dont mean tell them from a morla perspective, I mean tell them to cover your own bums.

Ah! I see where you're coming from adridude - but make sure it's in writing, not just 'mentioned' on the phone. That way it's harder for them to 'lose' :rolleyes: important info that a court might want to see ,.......

Nemo me impune lacessit