• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Financial ombudsman comes under fire as insider reveals litany of bad practices

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2733 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Iaineynic

The £300.00 is a derisory sum but...... the FOS rarely award much more in cases of distress.

Phil

This is why banks etc push you to take your complaint to fos because thay know that any comp will be derisory

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have done a marvellous job in winning with the FOS. Unfortunately they do not pay much by way of damages. You have won but you do not have to accept the award. You may refuse their descision and then go to the small claims court for harrrasment. As long as your claim is under £5000.00 the bank cannot claim costs.

I recently began being harrassed by NatWest and clompalined to the FOS, and as I was already in contact with the FOS about PPI I was able to pohone through and the harrassment stopped.

If you look at Irresponsible Lending OFT1107 March 2010 Section 7.10 and 7.11 It is Irresponsibl;e to make undue, excessive or otherwise inapropriate ue of statututay demands when a borrower falls into arrears.

7.11 Failing to suspend the pursuit ofr recovery of a debt from a borrower in default or arrears diffculty....

This only related to borrowing sunder the consumer credit act and there are differenr rules for mortgage arrears.

I hope this has helped in some small way.

eve Citizen i have just received a e mail via consumer forum from Rhys Williams, i don't see it here so i am guessing you have deleted it or otherwise how did i come to receive this e mail ?

it was an advert patrick so i dont blame them for removing it

Yes, it was SPAM so was removed.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes, it was SPAM so was removed.

The cheek of it lol :razz:

;)

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently used the FOS - it was a complete waste of time/money and a national disgrace - the adjudicator was incompetent and bias toward the bank - i have complained about the process, the adjudicator etc and based on what i have read on CAG, there is little hope they will recognise their failings and put matters right.

Ed

Edited by red-ed

OFT.....They're a complete waste of YOUR time. They said they were satisified that Santander "tried" to resolve & help us to resolve the matter. HOW! The harrassed ME with 17-20 automatic calls per day. Press 1 if you are so&so.....PRESS 2 if not, so I pressed 2 the the auto voice said "ask Mr. so+so to call us! No number nothing!!.........how can that be helping. Kick out OFT not worth the bankers money!! Now going to send a letter ( your template.HUGE THANK you) asking them to cancel the reminder of the debt due to hardship harrassment they put me through & the hardship they inflected on me. Wish me luck. If not small claims court.

Thanks for all the templates & help

N

I have a section 75 case with FOS that requires the application of basic consumer law - the FOS told me he would not look at SOGA (when my solicitor gave me sections to quote) and it was only 'opinion' that counted - his 'opinion' cut across basic consumer law and ignored my basic rights. When i asked him to explain the basis for his 'opinion' he said it was his 'opinion' he refused to comment further. My solicitor and I were shocked so i complained and i am waiting for a reply - if it turns out they are allowed to act above and even make consumer law i will complain to my MP because this is unconstitutional and effectively encourages banks to ignore basic consumers legal law/rights.

Ed

Edited by red-ed

I have a section 75 case with FOS that requires the application of basic consumer law - the FOS told me he would not look at SOGA (when my solicitor gave me sections to quote) and it was only 'opinion' that counted - his 'opinion' cut across basic consumer law and ignored my basic rights. When i asked him to explain the basis for his 'opinion' he said it was his 'opinion' he refused to comment further. My solicitor and I were shocked so i complained and i am waiting for a reply - if it turns out they are allowed to act above and even make consumer law i will complain to my MP because this is unconstitutional and effectively encourages banks to ignore basic consumers legal law/rights.

Ed

Some information from rebel11 for you.

http://fsahandbook.info/FSA/html/handbook/DISP/3

http://fsahandbook.info/FSA/html/handbook/DISP/3/6 (3.6.4)

In considering what is fair and reasonable in all the circumstances of the case, the Ombudsman will take into account

1) relevant:

(a) law and regulations;

(b) regulators' rules, guidance and standards;

© codes of practice; and

(2) (where appropriate) what he considers to have been good industry practice at the relevant time.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hmmm........ i seem to remember posting on this subject quite some time ago, and it's interpretation of 1a is to allow the court to decide

Do bear in mind an adjudicator or ombudsman can be ordered to attend as witness

In considering what is fair and reasonable in all the circumstances of the case, the Ombudsman will take into account

1) relevant:

(a) law and regulations;

(b) regulators' rules, guidance and standards;

© codes of practice; and

(2) (where appropriate) what he considers to have been good industry practice at the relevant time.

Our complaint went on for around 3 years in all. Most of the delays were down to FOS –when we would post off our case and wait five or six months (or more) although two delays were to a medical condition that flared up and incapacitated me for several weeks. At one stage, I had managed to write up our next submission and we posted it – and it crossed with rather a nasty ‘reminder’ from adjudicator that they had waited several weeks – but couldn’t give much longer!

If you haven’t already, SAR them! You will find they will redact anything embarrassing to them, but you might also have your own evidence made stronger by it. Our case was complicated. We had also alleged fraud and had been gathering evidence. The Ombudsman’s file actually contained some rock solid proof of our allegations!

The first Adjudicator emailed the ‘business’ (Insurance) and told them she was mindful to find in our favour. ‘They replied stating that they’d written a draft and attached for her. They told her to ‘tweak’ as needed and send to us asap. Their draft (surprise, surprise) said the adjudicator could not uphold our complaint.

The adjudicator must’ve argued too much with them – as the next thing we knew – she was replaced! Her replacement was happy to ‘tweak the draft’

At the final stage – we submitted a two part legal argument. We kept it as a ‘legal’ argument – proving lies, providing evidence and confirming fraud. Our basis of argument was that insurers had paid a fraudulent builder, without our knowledge or agreement and without work being completed. Their Loss Adjuster had lied throughout both at the cause of damage and the appointment of workers.

The ‘Ombudsman’ told us she couldn’t find in our favour – as we had received a cash settlement! Not Remotely True! – and we were not allowed to even tell her she’d made an such an astounding error!

We are now to lodge Civil Actions against ‘the business’ and we still hope our evidence leads to criminal charges.

Sadly, the FOS are batting way out of their comfort zone and do not have the competence to deal with anything ‘big’ nor are they brave enough to argue against ‘the business’. If the case is simple fine – anything else, save your time (and health) and go straight to court. If you can keep the case below £5,000 claim (a Judgement is a Judgement, in our book), estimate on the court docs that you expect it to last around 20 mins only and, if you can, request the case stays at your local court because... (try think up a good reason – or the ‘defendant’ gets to pick where the case is held.)

Wish I could post more without giving identity away, or boring you.

Ultimately, you should remember that FOS are a limited company. They have a rather frequent changeover of ‘Chairs’ etc., who all seem highly connected in the banking / insurance world.

Edited by lenamartell
included a previous omission

Thank you - in my case - the Adjudicator used 'we are not court' to exclude all SOGA and associated rights, and then then quoted shop policy as reason for rejecting my claim. I think this is case of incompetence plus a blind refusal to be corrected, even by a qualified lawyer - and this has become a trend, and is one the reasons everyone is so frustrated with the FOS.

FYI - i have accused the FOS of being unconstitutional - because their decision actually cuts across the law

A further note - 'the ombudsman will take into account' - the adjudicator said he was not required to follow law - does this mean adjudicator is not required to follow the above list but Ombudsman is ?

A further note - 'the ombudsman will take into account' - the adjudicator said he was not required to follow law - does this mean adjudicator is not required to follow the above list but Ombudsman is ?

Following link may assist

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/8/schedule/17/paragraph/1

........ and the current panel

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/about/panel-ombudsmen.html

Andrews v SBJ may also provide some insight, para's 24 thru 27 make for interesting reading;

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2010/2875.html

24. And by 3.5.9, it is provided that:

"The Ombudsman may:

(1) exclude evidence that would otherwise be admissible in a court or include evidence that would not be admissible in a Court …"

25. In R (Heather Moor & Edgecomb Ltd) v Financial Ombudsman Service Ltd [2008] EWCA Civ 642, it was recorded as being common ground that Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights and Article 1 of the First Protocol thereto applies to the activities of FOS: see paragraph 42 of the lead judgment in that case. Both Counsel before me expressly accepted that the concession in Heather Moor had been rightly made and was made likewise in this case. In that case, the Court of Appeal said, at paragraph 44:

'A1P1 must be read alongside Article 6, which envisages decisions of courts or tribunals in civil proceedings holding a respondent liable to a claimant. A determination by a court or tribunal complying with Article 6 requiring a respondent to pay a sum of money to a claimant does not infringe the respondent's rights under A1P1. Provided the scheme established under the 2000 Act satisfies the requirements of "law", and satisfies the requirements of Article 6, no question of incompatibility arises.'

An attack based on incompatibility was advanced before the Court of Appeal but was rejected by that Court for the reasons summarised in paragraph 49 of the lead judgment, which was to the following effect:

'Does the scheme established under the 2000 Act, interpreted in accordance with its natural meaning, comply with these requirements? In my judgment, it can and does. The ombudsman is required by DISP 3.8.1 to take into account the relevant law, regulations, regulators' rules and guidance and standards, relevant codes of practice and, where appropriate, what he considers to have been good industry practice at the relevant time.
He is free to
depart from the relevant law, but if he does so he should say so in his decision and explain why
. The other matters referred to in this rule are matters that a court would take into account in determining whether a professional financial adviser had been guilty of negligence or breach of his contract with his client. Again, if the ombudsman is to find an advisor liable to his client notwithstanding his compliance with all those matters, the ombudsman would have to so state in his decision and explain why, in such circumstances, assuming it to be possible, he came to the conclusion that it was fair and reasonable to hold the adviser liable. In these circumstances, I consider that the rules applied by the ombudsman are sufficiently predictable. All the matters listed in DISP 3.8.1 are formulated or ascertainable with sufficient precision. So far as guiding the conduct of financial advisors are concerned, provided that they comply with "the relevant law, regulations, regulators' rules and guidance and standards, relevant codes of practice and, where appropriate, … good industry practice", they can be assured that they will not be liable to their client in the absence of some exceptional factor requiring a different decision.
Lastly, the common law requires consistency: that like cases are treated alike. Arbitrariness on the part of the ombudsman, including an unreasoned and unjustified failure to treat like cases alike, would be a ground for judicial review.'

26. Rix LJ in a concurring judgment said this at paragraph 80:

'The effect of these provisions is not to leave the Ombudsman's determination to his entirely subjective views, as though he was operating according to the length of his foot, so to speak. That, it seems to me, is not the effect of the statutory language which defers to the "opinion of the Ombudsman". Rather, that is typical language to emphasise that the decision is for the Ombudsman, not for a judge. However, the Ombudsman remains amenable, through the ordinary process of judicial review, to a challenge on such grounds as perversity or irrationality. That was not in dispute. It was the view of Stanley Burnton J, as he then was, in
R v. FOS Ltd ex parte IFG Financial Services Ltd
, unreported 19 May 2005, at para 13.
That is not the same, however, as saying that the Ombudsman is bound to apply the common law in all its particulars. He is, after all, dealing with complaints, and not legal causes of action, within a particular regulatory setting. Rather, he is obliged ("will") to take relevant law, among other defined matters, into account.'

27. These conclusions, which I have set out at some length, are relevant to the question whether FOS is to be regarded as a tribunal for the purpose of the merger doctrine.

• Haha 1

It certainly does make very interesting reading, thanks Mike :)

BCOBS

Hi Cb

The Fos maintain records of speaches for previous incumbents to the Chief Ombudsman position

There's an old [2001] Walter Merricks ramble at the following link, 'Conclusions' at the footer of the page pretty much sets out its stall and where it believes it delivers purusant to Article 6

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/news/speech/chantrey-vellacott-dfk.htm

'We do not have to pretend to "find" what the law is. We unashamedly make new "law". '

Thank you Mike - i wonder if the FOS know there role as well a you !

I will use the explanation and consistency points below to make my argument - and see where i end up - i don't expect the FOS own up to mistakes and put things right - its not in their nature - but we will see....

Ed

I just read the FOS mandate listed below - i don't mind if the FOS improve or refine existing law - but it wrong that an adjudicator with no legal skills is deliberately ignorant of law and then makes decisions that cut across existing and basic law. It also devalues our consumer legislation because it confuses traders and consumers alike.

Ed

Hi Red-ed

Over 1 million complaints handled by 1,178 staff last year........... hmmm

Assume a very conservative 40 hour week, 5 weeks annual leave - total of 2,214,640 business hours. Gives a mean average slightly in excess of 2 hours per complaint. Could anyone honestly believe they are applying the necessary time to every complaint?

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/news/pdf/NAO-report-2012.pdf

Good point - if they were being properly managed, and put more effort into getting it right first time so people feel that they have be dealt with properly and fairly, i am sure complaints would require less time, and the banks etc, would have more respect the FOS.

Ed

in my view "Respect" and "FOS" just shouldn't be put together in the same sentence at the moment.

;)

In this country the laws justice system and the regulators are a farce!

A complete and utter joke!

We have courts where judges do not follow laws set out in the statute books because it is accepted that the judges merely give their interpretation of them, for godsake, so what is the point of having laws in the first place if they are not black and white?

Is it to confuse the general public. In other words make it so complex that the average person can not make head not tale of any of it, so they can not argue their decisions.

The same applies to the FOS piles of rules laws and guidelines which they can decide how and when to apply them if they bother applying them at all. Again with a handbook that is so long winded and the rules to which the ombudsman must follow are so hard to understand how on earth is anyone supposed to ever be treated fairly and equally.

Not a fricking hope on earth!

once again the general public suffer because their are no set rules that must be complied with, it is all just wishy washy and no one knows were they stand the businesses included.

The whole system needs scrapping and simplyfying and maybe they could include the general public with their input into the subject that seems logical and fair to me.!!!!!!!!!!

I will keep dreaming.!:!:

Well done questioner. Just goes to show you shouldn't just accept the first response.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.