Ex Declared Herself Bankrupt Where Do I Stand

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5320 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Approximately 9 months ago me and my ex split and went our seperate ways, we still dealt on friendly terms to sort out things such as our overdraft, loan and house/mortgage. For the past few weeks I have not been able to get hold of her so constantly sending and leaving messages. Today I have found out she has declared herself bankrupt. Obviously this has come as a giant shock to me and I am just wondering where this leaves me with our financial commitments together? Surely I wont be responsible for 100% of the amount as we took them all out 50/50

Any advice would be greatly received.

Jester

Sorry to hear of your predicament. If they were joint loans/mortgages/credit cards/overdrafts you will be joint and severally liable which unfortunately mean that they can come after you for 100% of the balance.

You will need to check the agreements to see if they are joint.

Yes they were joint, I have just spoke to the bank regarding the overdraft and loan and have been told as part of her bankruptcy she will have to pay back something at least and then I will have to pay the rest which to be honest, if it anything more than my half (which it would be) I cant afford. What should I do in this situation, it seems that the only option would be bankruptcy for myself which I don't want but otherwise I will be saddled with her part of the debt too.

Hi Jester84.

Im afraid the bank has given you one sided information. Bankruptcy also protects the debtor from payment should they not be able to contribute anything.

What sort of amounts are we looking at.

Obviously dont post if you want to keep things private, however, it would make suggestions a lot easier.