• Tweets

• Your point 4 deals with that and puts them to strict proof .....but realistically they are not in a position to state that within their particulars they were not the creditor at the time of default but naturally assume the OC would have...so always worth challenging and if you get a DJ who knows his onions on the day may ask for further evidence from the OC internal accounts system. 
    • I see, shame, I think if a claim is 'someone was served' then proof of that should be mandatory. Appreciate your input into the WS whenever you get chance, thanks in advance
    • Paper trail off the original creditor often confirms the default and issue of a notice...not having or being able to disclose the actual copy or being able to produce a copy less so. Creditors are not compelled to keep copies of the actual default notice so you will in most cases get a reconstituted version but must contain accurate figures/dates/format.     .    
    • Including Default Notice Andy? Ok, I think this is the best I can do.. it all makes sense with references to their WS. They have included exhibits that dates don't match the WS about them, small but still.. if you're going to reference letters giving dates, then the exhibits should be correct, no? I know I redacted them too much, but one of the dates differs to the WS by a few months. IN THE ******** County Court Claim No. [***] BETWEEN: LC Asset 2 S.A.R.L CLAIMANT AND [***] DEFENDANT ************ _________________________ ________ WITNESS STATEMENT OF [***] _________________________ ________ I, [***], being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim. 1. I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much-reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimant’s witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 2. The Claim relates to an alleged Credit Card agreement between the Defendant and Bank of Scotland plc. Save insofar of any admittance it is accepted that the Defendant has had contractual agreements with Bank of Scotland plc in the past, the Defendant is unaware as to what alleged debt the Claimant refers. 3. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. The Claimant is put to strict proof to verify and confirm that the exhibit *** is a true copy of the agreement and are the true Terms and Conditions as issued at the time of inception of the online application and execution of the agreement. 4. Point 3 is noted. The Claimant pleads that a default notice has been served upon the defendant as evidenced by Exhibit [***]. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 5. Point 6 is noted and disputed. The Defendant cannot recall ever having received the notice of assignment as evidenced in the exhibit marked ***. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 6. Point 11 is noted and disputed. See 3. 7. Point 12 is noted, the Defendant doesn’t recall receiving contact where documentation is provided as per the Claimants obligations under CCA. In addition, the Claimant pleads letters were sent on dates given, yet those are not the letters evidenced in their exhibits *** 8. Point 13 is noted and denied. Claimant is put to strict proof to prove allegations. 9. The Claimant did not provide a true copy of the CCA in response to the Defendants request of 24/12/2022. The Claimant further claims that the documents are sufficient to pursue a Judgement and are therefore copies of original documents in their possession. Conclusion 10. Without the Claimant providing a valid true copy of the executed Credit agreement that complies with the CCA, the Claimant has no grounds on which to enforce this alleged debt. 11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. On receipt of this claim I could not recall the precise details of the agreement or any debt and sought clarity from the claimant by way of a Section 78 request. The Claimant failed to comply. I can only assume as this was due to the Claimant not having any enforceable documentation and issuing a claim in hope of an undefended default judgment.   Statement of Truth I, ********, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in it’s truth. Signed: _________________________ _______ Dated: _____________________
    • AMEX and TSB the 2 Creditors who you need to worry about the least, ever!  Just stop paying them and forget about it, ignore all their threat o gram letters.  Only if, and with these 2 it's a massive if, you end up with a claim form you need to respond, and there will be plenty of help here.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Amber -v- MBNA

amber
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27/10/09- MBNA CC - 2nd S.A.R sent (1st reply from MBNA sent only 6yrs statements not 9yrs)

27/10/09- MNNA CC - Account In Dispute (CCA) sent

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we are on a Debt Remedy Plan with the CCCS whereby we make token payments to each creditor with what is left out of my husbands wages at the end of the month. As its a new job and he's only been there for 2 wks, we will not see his first wage of pay slip until December. CCCS are aware of this and have written to each creditor to let them know and set up this 'token arrangement' with them. Today, I have recieved a letter from MBNA rejecting this amount stating its not enough and that they are going to pass the details over to a debt collection agency. CCCS said not to worry, they will do so, but we keep making the token payments in the meantime regardless. Which is fine but will this affect these claims I have in against them? I asked CCCS if its best I stop making token payments (even though we ain't started them yet!) because the account is now in dispute but they said 'no' and that we must keep paying them. Any advice please?

Edited by amber
removal of previous mail, moved to a new thread over on PPI

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this.

Still no reply from MBNA regarding the 2nd SAR I sent requesting all 9yrs history. No reply yet regarding the Account In Dispute letter I sent. I had a 2nd letter sent from MBNA to me in response to the first SAR request, this time from the 'famous' Gail Powell, again sending me only 6yrs accounts.

However, I have some slightly good news in that the harrassing phone calls seem to have stopped, not had any for almost 2wks.

Still making token payments to each creditor whilst awaiting feedback from the numerous CCA requests and SAR requests that I have sent in. Will be opening separate relevant threads for each on the respective Bank threads.

Should I be chasing MBNA regarding the above letters I sent or just sit back and wait? Any help or advice would be great.

*Hope everyone on here is ok and not letting the 'filth' get them down too much xxx

Hi Amber,

I've had the same response from MBNA as you - none.

I've taken the route of chasing them up and giving them further opportunities to respond. The letters are sent using '1st class Signed For' so that I have a record and know and can prove that they have received it. They may not read or respond, but that's their problem, not mine.

In the last communication with them I gave them time to respond, and advised that if they didn't I would be escalating.

Also, in the event that they decide to take legal action at least I can show that it is they who are not responding me, not the other way around.

Chasing them up keeps up the head of steam.

:!:Don't believe them! The wool they try to pull over your eyes is 50% cotton. :!:

Thanks usaname. I think I've made a mistake there as I've been sending my letters first class recorded delivery, for all other correspondence I shall be sending them by special delivery I think. Even though one has a record via the post office of tracking on their database. Did you wait until the 40 days where up before you chased them? How did you chase it up? If you did this by letter, what letter did you send? I feel a bit redundant hanging around waiting on them to respond but I understand that this is part of the tactics they like to play.

Hi Amber,

I would have thought that 'Recorded delivery' is more than sufficient, you can check on the post office website to confirm delivery within a couple of days and if the post office have been efficient, there will also be a copy of the proof of delivery with a name of who accepted it and a copy of the signature, which can be printed.

Special delivery is for items being posted that have a value and the item is tracked specifically throughout the process from you taking it to the PO to delivery. Not what is required here in my opinion and much too expensive for all the letters that will be needed to get anywhere with these wotsits.

Having worked there yourself I am sure you will know the battle that lies ahead, but all the best and keep fighting.

D50 :)

Thanks Dotty. I did track them with the post office and they have been delivered. I've got the hand back slips so now I'm going to go back again and print off the copies of who signed for the deliveries (I never knew that bit) so thanks for pointing it out. Yes, it is a dear do sending all these letters and getting shafted left right and centre by their excuses, does work out expensive.

With reference to working there myself. Well, you can see where the money goes I can tell you. I've never seen such elaborate bank headquarters inside and outside. The main building is reminicent of the White House perched high on a hill, very colonial and very, very big. Inside it just smacks of money (lol..guess it would do being a bank) expensive paintings and vases everywhere. Huge atrium for a canteen, very spacious like one of these upmarket wine bars. Work ethics, very fast, very focused very results orientated. Team leads and line managers on your case every 5 mins to achieve. Staff who achieve high targets and bring the most money in for the day, get highly rewarded with capital bonds and days out etc. Some would say its a very pleasant place to work. I couldn't stand the place it was so false, much one-upmanship in the workplace. Nice to know what they're doing with all our money. Barstewards.

Well perhaps Amber, now that people are realising that they don't have to take things lying down MBNA and many others, they will get there comeuppance and it can't happen too soon for me!

The company that I worked for was starting to move towards this target & rewards way when a was made redundant and few years ago I was well out of it I can tell you.

I could not and would not stay (I had the choice) with a company working this way. Although we didn't have anything like the facilities you describe at MBNA!

I will post any positive progress I get as and when.

Hiya Amber right firstly i know the postage costs can total up but this is so important if this ends up in court ure RD or SD post and get receipts attach those to a copy of the letter you sent and file in an arch folder this is all pre-action protocol and will put you in good stead

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

i say the above because mbna follow the same patern everytime and at some point they and/or there sols will screw up there claim so it is important that you get all your ducks in a row because they will not hell it is almost comical

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

i know it has not reached court action yet but it is important that we prepare you so u are a step ahead now that is out of the way ill be back tomorrow with solid advice on the finer matters

"get receipts attach those to a copy of the letter you sent and file in an arch folder this is all pre-action protocol and will put you in good stead". Done, got a nice shiney new leaver arch file which I am sure will soon fill up with subject dividers for each creditor. Hole punch, stapler - all much tidier now. Thanks pompyfaith.

Perplexed now what to do next. Having sent of the 'account in dispute' letter and a 2nd SAR request asking them for all data from the accounts inception, I've still had no replies from them. With reference to my reciepts and print outs, I sent them recorded delivery on the 4/11/09 and they where recieved and signed for on 07/11/09. So still waiting but am unsure whether I continue to wait until the 40 days are up OR they should have had only 7 days to come up with something from the 2nd SAR request. And what letter do I follow it up with? I've not even queried the Payment Protection issue discussed earlier in the thread because I was waiting on these 2 letters responses. Hmmm.

"get receipts attach those to a copy of the letter you sent and file in an arch folder this is all pre-action protocol and will put you in good stead". Done, got a nice shiney new leaver arch file which I am sure will soon fill up with subject dividers for each creditor. Hole punch, stapler - all much tidier now. Thanks pompyfaith.

Perplexed now what to do next. Having sent of the 'account in dispute' letter and a 2nd SAR request asking them for all data from the accounts inception, I've still had no replies from them. With reference to my reciepts and print outs, I sent them recorded delivery on the 4/11/09 and they where recieved and signed for on 07/11/09. So still waiting but am unsure whether I continue to wait until the 40 days are up OR they should have had only 7 days to come up with something from the 2nd SAR request. And what letter do I follow it up with? I've not even queried the Payment Protection issue discussed earlier in the thread because I was waiting on these 2 letters responses. Hmmm.

Report them to the ICO and trading standards.

Hi Vint

Can you please advise how to report them to the Information Commissioners Office, do I ring them up or is there a letter template that I should follow? Also, with trading standards, do I contact my local trading standards office or the one in Chester where MBNA are located? All this is stressing me out and I'm peeved with myself for only being able to take infantile steps. I wish I was more clued up. I read through reams of threads and just end up more confused, especially with so many claims on the go. Still, having no job and sat at home on my arse all day, at least I have something to occupy my time. God, daytime tv is brain-draining. My credit cards coming in useful though for scraping the frost off the car windscreen. :-)

Thanks usaname. I think I've made a mistake there as I've been sending my letters first class recorded delivery, for all other correspondence I shall be sending them by special delivery I think. Even though one has a record via the post office of tracking on their database. Did you wait until the 40 days where up before you chased them? How did you chase it up? If you did this by letter, what letter did you send? I feel a bit redundant hanging around waiting on them to respond but I understand that this is part of the tactics they like to play.

Hi,

As already stated Recorded Delivery and Signed For are virtually the same thing. They may even be the same thing. As long as you have got proof of delivery that's all that matters.

With regard to letters, I tend to write my own with some paraphrasing of the templates that are available.

In my most recent letter, I pointed out that they had failed to respond to previous communications and that if the same happened with this one then I would escalate the issue to the FOS. Lo-and-behold two days later I get a response. Not sure to which letter as they make no reference, but it reads as though it is a 'template' reply to my first one.

Guess what. They conclude that "the agreement is not being reasonably queried or disputed..."

This is despite the fact that the alleged agreement fails on at least one of the points listed on the "Information" sheet they kindly included with the letter. How surprising is that?

Onwards and upwards...

:!:Don't believe them! The wool they try to pull over your eyes is 50% cotton. :!:

Hiya Amber,

Here is the link for the ICO on this page you will see a complaint form open and fill it in then print off.

Complaints about data protection policy - ICO

As for trading standards IMO i would complain to your local office and on the footer of that letter Cc to the Chester office too.

Regards

PF

In relation to my letter #15 on this thread.

Today I have received a letter from MBNA's Gail Powell in relation to my 2nd SAR request, informing me that my S A Request had been passed to her to respond to as I considered it incomplete. What she has sent me is a two-paged landscaped print out, again only going back as far as September 2003 (Again NOT back to April 2001 when I set up the account) and only going up to May 2009. This copy sets out: the date, fee type, transaction type, transaction description and the amount. In the transaction types I have late fee charge(s), overlimit fee charge, non-sufficent funds fee charge, late fees. She has put a standard fee of £25 for each of these fees until July 08 when it changes to £12.00 Now I know myself this is wrong, I know I paid far more out in charges over the years and it seems far too 'uniform' to my liking. Also, comparing it to the first set of SAR results they sent me, on this current copy, it does not show even one of the PPI payments made like it does on the other set so this seems rather dodgy to me as well.

She has sent me again, a copy of the current up to date T&C's (with the £12.00 default charges etc) which did not come into effect until around November 2006. Also printed on the copy of the T&C's is my current name and address. Which is wrong, because when I took the card out all those years ago, I was in my first marriage and obviously married under a different surname. Further evidence that these T&Cs are a load of tosh.

Still no response regarding the Account in Dispute letter I sent them.

Questions:

1) On the CCA piece of toilet paper they sent me - the PP1 box is ticket and I never ticked it. So where do I stand with that?

2) In first SAR response, transactions actually show that I have been paying PP1 for almost 3yrs, then it ceases. In the second SAR response sent to me via Gail Powell, the list of transactions she has sent me does not show any payments of PPI going out at all. So this, I am puzzled with.

3) The supposed copy of the CCA agreement. Are 'we' (my good friends on here) definately sure that this is unenforceable? I want to make doubly sure and get all my ducks in a row before I file the complaint to the Information Comissioners Office.

4) Regarding this account, it seems there are a lot of things I COULD claim, i.e the credit card charges, the PPI payments I'd been paying. So my question, do I make claims of what I can based on these charges, or do I just forget these two and stick to the fact that the debt is unenforceable due a defective CCA and go for the whole £9k debt to get struck out.

So, to re-cap, 2nd SAR answered and data still incomplete. Account in Dispute letter sent and no reply. Do I still file a complaint to the Informations Commissioners Office as they did reply in time (just) to my 2nd SAR request??

I've got the IOM form saved on my desktop. Phew, thanks again for listening/reading. I need a whiskey.

As previously stated, the prescribed terms are mistated, even if the back belongs to the front.

Condition 4 states that min payments will be 2% or £5, except as mentioned in 2.4, 3.5 and 3.6. They cannot be mantioned in another document.

The interest rate must be stated as an APR, not monthly interest.

Thanks for your reply Vint. I telephoned the Information Comissioners Office this afternoon and ran a few things by them, the lady was in agreement and told me to fill in the form pronto. So thats what I'm doing right now, sending it by post with copies of everything.

• 4 weeks later...

Update

Sent off info to ICO, still waiting for a reply.

Rang my local Trading Standards Office, they told me that there was nothing that they could do and if I had a problem then I should report it to the FOS. (Is this correct?)

I have today received a letter in the post dated 3rd Dec from MBNA. It reads

as follows:

Dear Mrs x

'We may not have spoken to you for a while but you have previously advised us of your financial difficulties; as a result MBNA are currently surpressing all fees and interest on your account. However, you must be aware that you are not on a formal reduced payment programme, which means that your account is continuing to fall into arrears, but we want to help you resolve this.

Whilst MBNA understands your difficult circumstances, it is our duty to inform you that due to the seriousness of the arrears, if we cannot set a level of re-payment that is suitable for you we will be required to charge off your balance as a bad debt. This does not relieve you of the responsibility of repaying the full amount outstanding, which will be legally assigned to a Third party for recovery action. You should also be aware that a Default will be registered on your credit file for the next six years. We would like to avoid these actions and provide you with an opportunity to begin a reduced payment arrangement, which will reduce your debt and begin building a good credit history.

To do this we require you to call today so that we can discuss the situation and set a payment programme for you. There may be many ways that we can help you but we need to speak with you to do this. It may be we just need a small increase on what you or your authorised Third Party are currently paying. Our specialists are available to help you on 0800 028 0685 blah blah

In the meantime we appreciate that you are making every effort to continue addressing the situation by at least making some level of payment to your account.

Please help us to help you.

Yours sincerely,

Well. What a cheek. They are aware that we are on a DMP with CCCS and are making token payments to them each month but clearly that is not enough and they want more money off me. Well they cannot have what I have not got. So what do I do? Do I ring them and speak to them? (As I have refrained from speaking to them so far (Truecall is brilliant, I cannot thank Bankfodder enough). I must admit, I do not want to talk to them seen as they have said they do not believe my account is in dispute as they have complied with my SAR request, even though it is still incomplete and I have report them to the Information Comissioner?

What do they mean by threating to "charge off my balance as a bad debt".

Is this one of those charging orders they try to get on your house?

Any help or advise please, I'm quite peeved and concerned regarding those words?

Thanks. A

Firstly, do not speak to them. Keep everything in writing. Just respond reminding them that the debt is subject to a DMP.

Charging off is simply closing the account so that they can claim bad debt releif against Tax. They then sell the debt on to a third party, who then chase you for the debt. This has nothing to do with a Charging Order.

As always, thanks for clearing this up for me Vint. I will write to them in response quoting our DMP with our case number. I am carrying on with the token payments until I decide what the next plan of recourse is upon hearing from the ICO. I'll fight them on the beaches!! lol Bring it on..

How are you getting on? Not seen you around for a while.