• Tweets

• This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
    • oh no just logged in and it says a judgment was issued literally 2 hours ago! see attached Screenshot 2024-04-29 214754.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

DCA Contact me after 9 years about money stolen from my account!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4898 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Im so glad that I found this forum. In 2001 when I was away from my flat looking after my mother who was undergoing cancer treatrment my flat was burgled and so was the lady downstairs. They trashed my house so bad that I had to hire a skip and throw everything out and I moved out of the place immediately. They had urinated everywhere it was disgusting. The police said that they felt they had lived there for a couple of weeks.

They had stolen a RBS cheque book and switch card from a personal acount I had with the RBS. I had not used the account for 3 years it had a small overdraft on it which I had been speaking to them about paying off. I had a business account in very good standing with them at the same branch and I used that one for all my transactions.

I never registered the switch card that they stole and when I called the 24hr helpline to tell them it had been stolen and used they said that it was impossible to have been used, as I had never registered it and it was not an active card on the system. (I never registered it as I never needed to use it)

I informed them that it had indeed been used and the thiefs had gone on a £3000 spending spree! On my bank statement was a huge list of "Card Misuses" but they still paid out!! All spent locally!

I then went to the bank in person and spoke to the lady I saw for my business account and reported it and asked for a stop to be put on the account. She did it in front of me and told me that they would look into it.

I also infoprmed her that I had moved out of my flat and wasnt sure where my next permanent address would be yet but they could contact me at work which was only half a mile away from the branch.

I heard nothing more for 4 months so I went in again and asked what was happening and the girl said that they would look into it and get back to me. I told her i was up to my eyes looking after my mother and that I would have to leave it to them to sort out as there was nothing I could do. If they wanted to contact me they knew EXACTLY where I was, I did not hide. In fact I am still at the same work place near them.

I heard nothing more even though I had my business account at the same branch for the next 5 years and heard nothing. My accountant said that they had broken the banking code of conduct by paying out on a non active card and that they had to sort it out.

Until...... a week ago I got a letter from Lowell finance saying that they wanted £9500 debt owed to them. I think they bought the debt. What I think has happened is that RBS added their charges for what they thought was a huge overdraft but it was stolen from them! I have a police number for the case by the way.

I now live with my mother she has severe dementia and I am her carer. I have been there 5 years and am on the voters roll.

I have now recieved a letter today saying that they are coming to visit the home if I dont repy within 5 days!

Im in a bit of a panic because it would seriously distress my mother and it is officially her home.

So in summary although I had a small overdraft, the vast majority of that bill is for charges that the bank slapped on money that was taken from THEM using a card which had not been registered and active in the system! They should NOT have paid out on it

There will be a small bit of that is my overdraft but I have heard nothing from them for 8 years!!

I would appreciate any advice, I have to kep them away from my mother house thats crucial.

best regards

craigie

Send a copy of the Police reference to confirm the ammount you don't owe. (Recorded delivery)

If you believe that the small overdraft consists mainly of charges, then send a Sunject Access request, calculate the charges and lodge a counter claim.

Remember it is the pursuers responsibilty to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the debt exists and not the defenders to prove otherwise.

Furthermore never engage with DCA's other than in writing. If anybody calls at your home show them the way out. (F--k --F) springs to mind.

Hi postggj and wino thanks for the replies, the last time I used the account was in 1999 nothing has been put in or out and I have not spoken to the bank about the account since early 2002. There were no direct debits or anything on the account anyway. I used my business account in the same branch for everything

hi craig

i know its fraud but can you tell me when the last action on the account by you was

thats paying anything in or dd going out

etc etc

and the last time a cheque or debit card was used

its important

Hi, Ive posted a reply below, did not realise I could answer directly. the last time there were any transactions in the account was 1999 until the burglary. Thanks.

I will need to look up the statements later at home (work part time at same business) but it was late 2001 around November. There was a series of payments made at a petrol station a few miles away all listed on the bank statement as "card misuse" but paid out. They also wrote a cheque for a 3 piece suite from a local furniture store and the bank paid out.

I live in Scotland by the way, I forgot to mention.

Edited by craigie09
To many words

ok its stautue barred so send them this:

Dear Sir/Madam

Acc/Ref No 4563210025897412

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that under The Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 Part 1 Section 6 "If, after the appropriate date, an obligation to which this section applies has subsisted for a continuous period of 5 years:

(a) without any relevant claim having been made in relation to the obligation, and

(b) without the subsistence of the obligation having been relevantly acknowledged,

then as from the expiration of that period the obligation shall be extinguished:"

I would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that "it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period".

The last acknowledgement of this alleged debt was made over five years ago. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from myself in the relevant period under Part 1 Section 6 of The Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 , I would respectfully suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against myself to recover the alleged amount claimed.

Should you continue to pursue this account without providing this evidence I shall seek an interdict and damages accordingly. A formal complaint will also be made to Trading Standards along with a report to the OFT questioning your fitness to hold a consumer credit license.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mr A N Other

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Many thanks Ida,

Should I put in big black letters at the top of the page that "I do not acknowledge this debt" like I read in some of the posts from people down south or is it different up here?

Also do you have any tips on stopping them coming to my mothers door which they have threatened to do if I dont reply within 5 days? On the back of the letter today it said "Return Adress PO Box 8743 Bellshill ML4 3WU. Im wondering if they have local people there that would come out.

Lets say I cant stop them coming out should I just do as someone else said and tell them to go away?

Ta again

Craig

as above and it doesn't make any differece putting the bit in with SB letters

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Many many thanks Ida and Poatggj

You have saved me a huge amount of time and heartache, I was on the point of phoning them when I found the forum.

I will send that off and let you know what happens.

What I am totally gobsmacked about is that when I went to the police about the money being stolen they were not intererested and neither were the bank. Yet years down the line the hardmen are sent out to chase the victim. Its a disgrace.

mos important thing

never ever phone them or accept a call from them

everything in wiriting

ida x

...and send that letter by recorded delivery - keep a copy of the letter and then print off the signature proof of delivery from the Royalmail website - keep safe with the copy letter - knowing Lowell's you will probably need to prove they got it!

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

mos important thing

never ever phone them or accept a call from them

everything in wiriting

ida x

Phew I tell you I had a close one, I literally started dialling them then thought "I wonder if there is anything on the internet" and then found the forum

Thanks all again for the advice I will send everything recorder delivery. The thing thats bothering me is that although I had a small overdraft, the vast majority of the £9500 they want off me is charged from the bank on the money that was stolen that I didnt have in the bank....so they are charging me interest and charges on their money that was stolen!

Do you think that it is worth mentioning when I send the template letter that you (Ida) kindly provided that the money was stolen out of the account in the first place and the vast majority of it is not my debt or keep it dead simple, don't mention it and go down the its statute barred route?

...and send that letter by recorded delivery - keep a copy of the letter and then print off the signature proof of delivery from the Royalmail website - keep safe with the copy letter - knowing Lowell's you will probably need to prove they got it!

I can only back up the above as in bold - I had a letter, last month, from one of RBS's legal rotwiellers threatening me with court action over 2 debts that I purportedly owe RBS, one of which is genuine, if I didn't reply within 14 days whch I duly did by return post but due to industrial dispute at the Royal Mail, my letter was not received by them until well after the 14 days deadline so I have been duly served with a Sheriff Court Citation, which is actually worthless as I have been charged with failing to pay a debt which is not mine & is in fact a mortgage account, which RBS have told me, albiet by phone, is not strictly in my name, as in John is different from Jonathan, and is not even in arrears. Unfortunately I did not have my letter to the DCA sent Recorded Delivery altho my follow up letter to them asking, nay demanding the Court Citation to be retracted & cancelled has been sent Rec Dev.

Anyway the moral of the above is always send any correspondance of a legal matter by Recorded Delivery and it is also useful, if possible to copy, paste and send an email of the complete text of the letter to the recipient & ask for a receipt (in email click on Tools, then Options, then Receipts then check the "Request a read receipt etc") then you're fairly fool proof against any claims of correspondance not being received.

PS Apoligies(?) to any rotwieller owners as they are quite nice animals really, the dogs that is altho some owners do lack some of the better qualities of the human race.

“It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business.”

• 1 month later...

Hi friends , I decided to leave it a while before I got the recommended template letter off about this being statute barred, ( things mental in life as well) I think I am getting brave since I found the forum and all the great advice.

Anyway the DCA have sent a letter a week, with various offers to pay this fake debt off. The latest was that they offered to let me pay the £9500 off at £50 a month. To me this shows that they know this is statute barred and they are chancing their arm coz that would take about 16 years when it is paid off!!

Anyway Im sending the letter in tomorrow recorded now will let you know what happens

• 2 months later...

Hi friends,

Just thought I would update you on this problem, despite my letter to Lowells they passed it on to Hampton legan and now on to RED, The letters arrive with a ficticious Bellshill address on the back. I know it is ficticious because I went to the postcode using sat nav and its a really run down industrial estate with no specific building with the postcode.

I will send yat another recorded delivery letter to red today and let you know what happens.

I HATE their guts!

Something very strange here as you say you have a business account there so obviously RBS have your details. Unless the business acount is in the name of a limited company, the bank has the right to take money from another account held by yourself to off set any issues with another account. The bank has had more than enough opportunity to chase you for the alleged debt but has chosen not to do so. I suspect that the alleged debt was passed in error to the DCA. Chase up the bank on this and query it but do so in writing although thsi coudl eb followed up with a personal visit.

Hi Surfer,

I had the business account for several years after the money was stolen from the personal account It was a small limited company. I closed it 3 years ago when I went solo and part time. I assumed that as all was well with my dealings on the business account that they had sorted it out. I had put a stop on the personal account when I discovered what had happened.

I spoke to fairly new friend recently about it and he laughed and said "If you knew what went on behind the counters in branches you would be shocked".

• 3 months later...

This is unbelievable! I finally got a response to the 3rd letter I sent! They claim they received it on the 18th March.

They say that they will contact the RBS for information to support their claim.

I will scan it later but Lowells then say that it is not statute barred as I made a payment to the account on the 10th January 2005 which is a COMPLETE pack of lies! I have made no payments whatsoever as it wasnt my money stolen from the account. I had not uded the account in over 10 years!

In addition they are so stupid as not to realise that if this was the case the 10th January 2005 is still 5 years before they claim they received my letter and withing the statute barred time period in Scotland.

Are these people allowed to lie like this?

Any advice as to how I should proceed.

Hi Craigie,

as Lowells are "accusing" you of having made a payment on the account back in January 2005 then it is up to them to prove it but in the meantime you could submit a Subject Access Request (SAR) to RBS for all their records & statements on the account, it will cost you £10 but it will perhaps give you a clearer picture of what RBS hold on you as regards this account.

It's my belief that RBS are just chasing & tidying up all "dodgy" accounts in which they might be able to scare peeps, through the use of DCAs, into paying up on these accounts. Best for you to try & pre-empt them (Lowells & RBS) by having as much information & documentary evidence to refute any spurious claims against you. The saying that "knowledge is power" really does hold true in cases like this so get as much documentary evidence as you can to defend yourself. It can be time consuming & wearisome but it's worth it in the end.

Since july 2006, when RBS unilaterally closed my current account without prior notice & refused me an interview to explain why, I have fought them on the excessive overdraft charges, a loan application error & PPI payments & have received £6447 back from them.

In my experience RBS does not know what it's doing. As in my previous post, I was served with a Sherif Court Citation for a mortgage of which I knew nothing about because my name was vaguely similar to the supposed defaulter. I say "suppose"d as RBS Mortgage Centre in Greenock told me the mortgage account was not in default. And whilst I was negociating on a payback sum with the RBS's DCA over a genuine loan, I received a letter from RBS Credit Management Service chasing me up for the whole amount of the loan. On phoning them, against my rules really, the chappy there knew nothing about the DCA in Glasgow I was dealing with.

I think I am now out off the woods regarding RBS but as you have experienced, one never knows.

Anyway that's the best I can offer you at the moment but don't lose heart. If needs be you can resort to the FOS.

Link to SAR template.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2881681

“It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business.”