Breach of Data Protection by a Collection Agent?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The mystery would appear to be solved, as I have finally received a reply from Experian, although I am not particularly happy at the content.

The Consumer Compliance Executive of Experian has replied, stating " The telephone numbers were provided when you have made applications for financial products or services". "These numbers have consequently been provided with your consent for the purposes detailed within the necessary fair obtaining or processing notice".

I was not aware or indeed made aware, that any personal contact numbers would freely be sold on to anyone by the CRA's, fortunately, I have changed both my home and mobile number, and now that I am aware of the situation will think twice before giving a contact number, but the concern then is that I might possibly need that particular company to be able to contact me.

I foolishly believed that CRA's only gave out limited information, such as that which is viewable when I look at my credit file, I am finding it incredulous that they simply sell on ALL my personal information, is that really legal?

Can anybody tell me how I challenge what information they sell on? Are the CRA's actually regulated? and if so, by whom?

I am hugely perturbed by the flippancy of Experian, and will certainly check how any information I give in future will be used.

So, if you want an ex-directory telephone number or indeed any number in future, don't waste time with BT, just give Experian a call!

An unhappy Dibs.

Don't know if i'm coming or going!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have drafted a reply to the Consumer Compliance Executive as I really want/need to know exactly what information is available to these companies that search my file, and why isn't it available to me?

I understand that Robinson Way will have access to the telephone numbers given to the original creditor, however, those telephone numbers are no longer in use, and have not been for some considerable time.

Robinson Way have obtained my ex-directory home number and my personal mobile number from Experian.

I have looked at my Experian credit file and cannot see any telephone numbers listed, therefore, I assume that debt collection companies are given further information by Experian, which surprisingly I do not appear to have access to on my credit file, why?

I would like to know what further information has actually been given to Robinson Way? I would also like to know what telephone numbers Experian holds for me?

Please can you inform me who regulates Credit Reference Agencies, and exactly what information is given out to companies that search my credit file?

Dibs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received a reply from the Consumer Compliance Executive at Experian, part of the reply is as follows:

A credit report only contains the information that we hold that could impact upon an application for financial products or services. As a telephone number would not impact upon such an application, it is not included on your credit report.

Rw were simply provided with the requested details to enable them to contact you. They were not provided with any further information, such as details of who you hold credit agreements with or the payment conduct on those accounts. The only information supplied to RW was the telephone numbers we hold on record for you and possibly also confirmation of your likely address.

The telephone numbers that Experian have listed to me, and have given to RW are several years out of date, therefore they, do not hold and could not have given out, the telephone numbers that RW have contacted me on.

So, back to square one, how have RW got hold of unlisted personal telephone numbers?

Dibs.

I think you need to ask Experian once again - how did RW get a number from Experian that Experian does not have?

Such a simple question... such a garbled, bullsh*tting answer!

Anyway, is it within Experian's remit to act as a telephone directory for DCAs? I thought Experian was a 'credit reference agency'? Information Commissioner needs a nudge too, I think.

Experian told me there's no way they would give out my phone numbers, but RW said this in their letter to me when I enquired as to how they got a hold of my work number:

"We can confirm that the following telephone numbers xxx and xxx were obtained from Experian using a system called ECAPS, this system is a way of transferring information from credit applications you have made. These records are shared with other organisations and used to help make decisions about credit and credit related services such as insurance for you and members of your household."

Thought you may be interested to see what system they are using and the fact that Experian are giving out information based on credit applications made

The home telephone number is ex-directory and not used on applications, not that I would even bother making any, I always use the second phone line, and have not received any calls on that from RW or anyone else. My mobile is simply for personal use and not given out.

Experian have listed the numbers that they hold on file for me, I have this information in writing from Mr L J Hancock, Consumer Compliance Executive for Experian.

I have written to RW again, asking for the correct source of this information, and have also sent a complaint to the ICO.

Dibs.