Time to bite the bullet - BR booked next week

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest suziedarkness

After a couple of years trying to avoid it the time has come to stop trying and go with the flow.

With a debt of almost £100,000 (most of that joint debt with ex due to mortgage shortfall) I have decided that BR is the only way to shake off this nightmare.

I have my hearing booked next week and I am a bit scared.

I have not yet started to fill in the forms, the thought of that is very daunting but I must do it this weekend.

I have a couple of questions that someone may be able to help with. I have a car, a "P" reg so old and not really worth anything but I rely heavily on this getting my kids to school and helping my disbled father. Will they take this away from me?

Also, I am now on Income support due to a breakdown. I am worried that they will freeze my account where my benefit is paid in and I wont be able to get it. This is the only money I have to live on. The account is a basic Cooperative one which I know will be ok for BR. I just dont want not to be able to get my money.

I have been told by the court that as soon as I leave there, I have to go direct to OR's office.

Suzie

I am worried that they will freeze my account where my benefit is paid in and I wont be able to get it. This is the only money I have to live on. The account is a basic Cooperative one which I know will be ok for BR. I just dont want not to be able to get my money.

If you explain this to the OR at your interview the chances are they will not freeze it and continue to let you use it. They let me keep my accounts

Again in regards to the car explain there is leittle vaue to it and the explain the importance of it to you.

The process is not as daunting as it seems and generally the satff at the court are very helpful and understanding. Get on with filling the forms in (it can take some time) and if you need any help ask on here

Good Luck

Yep any help just shout. Forms can be daunting but read thoroughly first copy the forms out and fill in roughly first so you can get everything right. When you take the forms in someone will check through them in any case and will amend anything you put down wrong.

DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

hi suzie good luck for your court date .

regarding your car if you can show that your car as no high value at resale (they use parker guide) and can show that you will need it due to your disabled father you wil be able to keep it.

regarding the bank account, it is a common mistake to believe that the Or will close the account , it is actually the bank who close it wether the Or has or no interest in it. |The Or will not close it , the only take possesion of the account .

after the court you should normally have a chat with the |Or jsut explain that there is no credit facility, that you use it to received your benefit and pay your bill. the Or will say he has no interest on it.

but if you have some issue, you could always open one with Barclays or opening an account with the post office to receive your benefit only.

if your income is only income support you will have no IPA whatsoever .

Hi Suzie,

I went BR July 1st.

My experience I have an N reg car, little value, and I can keep it as I use it for work.

if you are worried about the bank account and benefits, you may want to get the benefits paid via a post office.

After my hearing I was put on the phone by the court staff to the OR office.

That's probably what will happen to you.

Then they took, (and still are) ages to communicate.

After the BR you should be able to ask the OR any questions you have, but remember to try here too!

Good luck.

Do you have a time for your appointment or just a day?

If it's just a day, turn up before they open, there was a queue when I went.