style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5346 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Back in 2007 I had a business and we rented some offices from a rather large company owned by an old Billionaire. Unfortunately the business failed after about 6 months and we vacated the premises. During the period it was empty until they could find tenants said company billed me for the rent. I was unable to pay this and they eventually took me to court. I admitted the dwebt and explained the circumstances and for whatever reason it was ordered I pay back the debt at £20 a month via Martsons

The debt was originally for £3000 + £220 costs. I've paid every month for the last 18 months or so. However, due to difficulties some payments have been late (but always paid) and other times I've had Marstons accuse me of being in arrears when clearly I haven't

Yesterday I received a text saying they were going to seize my goods. This morning I received a letter saying they're sending removal contractors. As far as I know I'm not in arrears, in fact I recall making a payment in August and I made another today just to make sure. What's infuriating though is the letter I received this morning says I now owe £4000. That's over £800 more than the original debt AFTER I've been making regular payments.

Where do I stand on this? As this is a personal debt do they have any right to break in and seize goods? I don't even understand how they got a judgement, it's an unsecured debt for office rent for a failed business. You'd have expected it to be written off.

What's the best way of dealing with this and is there anything I can do to cancel the debt? It's ridiculous. The office rent was £12k a year, the business went tits and despite the office being vacant for 3 months I'm expected to pay for rent because they couldn't find anyone to take it on.

Was you a ltd company?

and what was the terms of the lease as in what notice did you have to give.

LFB

Was a sole trader when I signed up but changed to Ltd company about a month later. I was told we could get out of the lease after 6 months.

I'm trying to find all documents related to all this but struggling to find them all which is frustrating.

Took on the offices in April 07 and vacated Oct 07

I think Marstons should be shot for this one, if it is a limited company you are NOT liable for the rent debt, you need to get some proper legal advice on this pronto, or contact Tomtubby on this site, they are the bailiff expert and have plenty of experience with Marstons.

The cager signed as a sole trader.

did you inform the landlord that you had gone LTD if so did you inform the landlord.

LFB

Yes, I explained everything to them. you'd think they'd have been understanding. I guess not. This company are a rather large trust based up in the northern part of the country owned by a billionaire who has more than enough cash but is notorious for not actually investing any money into his investments and allowing them to fall into ruin and disrepair all the whilst taking subsidies from local councils.