style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Its me again!

Ive been in a to and fro match with the council in regards to CT benefit. Its states on their website that if you are a carer or careworker you will be entitled to a 25% discount off your CT. Ive sent several letters and benefit forms and now on to the appeal stage of trying to get this discount, as I am the main carer for my disabled son, and in receipt of Carer's Allowance.

Ive had a visit from Scott & Co about this, and stupidly let them in. I had set up a payment plan with them, and even sent off a I & E form. They havent taken any money off me at all.

This has gone on for several months, and I am in arrears with CT :(. I havent spoken to the Sheriff Officers or council, as all this has been done in writing, and I have kept Scott & Co informed of everything Ive sent to the council, including giving them copies of what I have sent.

So 2 weeks ago, Ive had enough of worrying and wrote to the council an appeal letter asking them to sort it out once and for all of I would talk to my local MP. I also enclosed a cheque to show that I am willing to pay, but would really like to get everything sorted out once and for all.

Today Scott & Co called me, and I explained that I was now paying the council, as it was the council I was owe money to and not them. I was then told that I had to talk to the council about it, or Scott & Co could still take any action. The council were quick in banking the cheque, and I asked them for bank details so I could set up a SO for me to clear the arrears.

What should I do next?

Hiya,

First of all it is different up here to down there and tere are different procedure and ways.

What I would say is if you already have a payment plan set up with scott and co then I would stick to it for now as long as it's what you can afford at the moment as this stops any further action.

Can you tell me what council you are under?

When did you lodge your appeal?

Where did you send your appeal?

Are you working?

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thanks for getting back to me, its with Aberdeen City Council.

I set up a payment plan with Scott & co 4 months ago, by DD, and they havent taken anything out.

Ive appealed now 1st back in July and then Last month again. I got some Housing benefit but not council tax benefit, even though it blatantly states on the council website that those in reciept of carers allowance will get a discount!!

Im not working at the moment, but the hubby is(not that great a wage and we have a high rent as we cant get into council housing), and I have an 18yr old son who is a student and disabled.

I also sent the appeal to the headquarters of ACC, along with a cheque which they have cashed.

So basically Scott & Co have not taken any money, the council are dragging the heals about the discount but are quick enough to cash any monies, and S & C can still take action unless I contact the council!

Im confused :confused:

give me a few moments to get myself aqainted with aberdeen cooncil

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

send this by email and back up by letter - mailto:[email protected]

Council Tax and Benefits Section

Housing Benefit

Customer Relations Management

Crown House

27-29 Crown Street

ABERDEEN

AB11 6HA

Dear Council Tax Team,

I lodge an appeal on my council tax demand. I understand that I am eligable for a reduction in the council tax for disability relief.

I applied for council tax benefit on xx/xx/xx and subsequenty lodged and appeal on xx/xx/xx and then followed this up by letter again on xx/xx/xx.

I am now in contact with Scott & co who are collecting on the arrears but because that the council tax benefit not being corrected this is causing me hardship and struggling to maintain the payments.

Please can you contact me in writing to confirm that my appeal has been investigated and that any council tax reduction has been applied to my account and Scott and co are notified of the correction.

Yours Sincerely,

Also at this stage it would do no harm to involve your msp:

MP's, MSP's and MEP's

Ida x

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Letters were posted on the 10th but still havent heard anything at all. I have spoken to a good friend who works for the SNP about this carry on.

To be honest Ive had such a busy week, I kind of let thing slip , so will write to them again tomorrow.

Got letter from them today saying we are not entitled to anything, so I have emailed them back quoting their website, especially the paragraph about carers and careworkers.

Also asking for any other help that may be available.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a reply from the council saying they cant take the debt back, and an hour later we get served with a Charge for Payment of Money by SO's. I have a meeting tomorrow with the council on regards to everything as in our house it doesnt rain but it pours.

Ive readied and I & E sheet for them, which at this moment doesnt look good, as I have just had my ESA stopped and it is under appeal, and my son got his DLA stopped so therefore I have lost my Carer's Allowance(appealling against everything)

So what can I do about the Charge, Ive got a number from the Officers that served me to call, but I want everything in writing and Scott & Co wont! I need it in writing as I have a really bad memory with all the medication Im on.

I have 14 days to pay the CT and that is including the whole of this year, but can this be changed when I finally get the rebate sorted out.

They can arrest OH wages which wont leave us with much, and I only get benefits paid into my account.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dealing-debt-scotland/185249-council-tax-arressment-attachment.html

you can apply for a time to pay order the above isals for charge for payment

• 1 month later...
Hi, any update on your situation. I don't mean to sound arrogant but I know Scots law very well and would love to help in any way i can if this has not been resolved.

goldielocks welcome anyone who know Scots law about sheriffs officers will be a very welcome addition and i for one look forward to learning as much as i can from you:D

We asked for time to pay and sent everyone concerned a I & E sheet, but alas my hubby's wages have been arrested.

We sent in a payment proposal for the arrears, as well as the normal payment, but it was declined!

Anyone know what else I can do?

Im trying to see a benefits Advisor about everything, but they are so busy and trying to see the CAB is as rare as hen's teeth here.

if you completed the time to pay order and sent that back to court and if they refused the offer then the court would have gave a hearing date.

from your post above it does not sound like you did this as they would not have been able to do a wages arrestment

I take it you just tried to do a payment arrangement with scott and co direct?

It was to Scott & co and Ive been making regular payments to the council as well. Im a bit peeved as we have applied for a rebate and it is getting processed, yet they are trying to get all of 09/10 off of us.