LG LCD TV broke - purchased from Curry's

Cruise
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5244 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I purchased a 37" TV from Currys in March 2008 and a month ago the TV started faulting, I have had a repair man look into this and he says the TV isn't able to be repaired because the LCD panel has broken.

I am still actually paying for the TV on Currys credit plan. Is this right that a TV should break 18 months after it was purchased?? Do I have any rights considering I am still paying for the TV even though the manufactors warranty has expired??

Any help on how I go about tackling this would help!!

You still have your statutory rights under the Sales of Goods Act. If it cannot be repaired then they should pay you the cost of a replacement less the value of the use you have had from the set - maybe a reduction of about one third.

Under EU consumer rules, you are entitled to a full repacement at any time during the first two years.

I'm afraid that Currys are likley to give you a fight on all of this so make sure you are fully informed about your rights and the procedure for enforcing them. Be persistent. Don't get into protratced correspondence. you should look to getting this sorted out within about 3 weeks or start legal action. Any longer and they will draw it out and wear you down

• 3 months later...

Hi, i previously bought a 32" lcd samsung tv from currys. ive had it for 11 months now and when the switch over happened a red line appeared down the middle of the tv. I pay £5 a month insurance for the tv. When i noticed the red line i phoned curry's and they sent some staff out to take the tv away. At this time they said i should hear from them in 7-14 days it went 7-14 days and i didn't hear anything. I phoned them up on the 15 day they said they sent the tv away to samsung for a new screen. This tuesday will be 21st day they have took it. There policy states after 21 days you can have money back or vouchers! just wondered if anyone had the same problem and how or if you resolved it? thanks

You have no chance in hell of getting actual cash money back from currys, as legaly they don't have to remburse you in cash, in nearly 4 years I've been with the company, I've never once seen someone get a cash refund outside of 28 days.

Secondly the 21 day rule only applies to people with extended guarantees, if you took one, give them a ring, tell them the 21 days is up and ask for vouchers to be issued. If you can give them an email address it'll save you waiting for the post when they issue them.