NCO Europe Debt Agency - Im Only 17! Help???

SuperDan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5355 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there; basically to cut a long story short I was victim to a pretty nasty Paypal dispute/claim which left my Paypal balance at -£275 which was a totally unjust case, resolved in a technicality in favour of the wrong person. I didn't have the funds to pay the money back and not before long I began recieving phone calls off a company called 'NCO Europe'. As of yet I haven't spoken to the company directly (partly down to me being away and partly down to the home phone being rarely answered as we get so many cold calls) they have been leaving message after message on the answerphone asking me to get in touch. I was only (and still am) 17 when the issue began and I am beginning to develop a real sense of anxiety whenever the phone rings. I need some help and advice on the best way to deal with the problem; I don't have a job as I'm in full time education and don't have and means of being able to repay the debt. The thought of people coming over to my house and taking my/my families possessions makes me feel sick but from the research I've done on NCO it seems as if they are those kind of people...

Edited by SuperDan
Spelling mistakes :(

Hi SuperDan and welcome to CAG, No one is going to take you or your families possesions and it is unlikely that anyone will go to your house. You are best to contact NCO by letter and explain your situation, keep copys of all letters that you post and file all correspondence from them, someone with more direct experience will be along and advice you further.

• Haha 1

Because you are under 18 they cannot do anything. You have to be 18 to open a PayPal a/c and they are in breach of the Money Laundering Act by not checking your identity which includes your age.

There's been a couple of cases like yours just recently and it was resolved by the intervention of Trading Standards, so your best route is to contact them via Consumer Direct Consumer Direct - Contact us

SuperDan if you write to them quoting their breach under the Money Laundering Act I am sure they will see the light....

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

NCO will shortly send you a card saying someone is calling round on Tues between 9am and 9pm (mr brown)

However ignore it, no one will call . If they did Mr brown would do a lot of traveling lol.

You may find you get a letter on solicitor headed letter paper(cant remember thier name). But ignore that to.

Edited by phil_nottingham

As the above have said. Contact Trading Standards, Paypal broke the law by not checking you were over 18, Not sure of the implications for you setting the account up being under 18. Anyways, contact your local TS or Consumer Direct and see how it goes. I had a debt of £375 to Paypal after a gambling problem and Paypal got the money back on my mums card!

August 2010 - Debt Relief Order Ends! :)

Complaint with FOS re: Bank Charges - Financial Hardship

Email me for advice on DRO/DMP

If I have been of any help, Please tickle my scales

Cheers for all the replies; this is helping me a lot. I've drafted a letter to NCO stating their breach of the law and that I will only contact them by letter. Does anybody know of how NCO resolve disputes where they are ignored/not paid?

And also; am I not at risk of fraud if I set up a Paypal account when I was under 18?
The fact that Paypal neglected to carry out the required checks far outways the fact that you didn't understand you had to be 18 to open it. You could write to Paypal and tell them that if they resolve your dispute & rectify your a/c you will have no need to make a complaint to the OFT and the FSA with respect to them not adhering to the Money Laundering Act.

As for NCO Europe, don't worry about those muppets. Because you are under 18 you are not listed with any credit reference agency so you cannot be defaulted, nor can they take you to court for this alleged debt. Meanwhile send NCO this recorded delivery http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt