British Gas - Homecare Service.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if this is the right forum but I have had lots of good advice on other matters so may be someone has something to share.

I have an ugly Potterton Kingfisher boiler that has the flue directly into the (unused) chimney stack. Boiler supplies hot water and central heating. I have lived in this house for 22 years and the boiler was here before me. We have had the Homecare contract since day one and the boiler gets serviced mainly in August every year. The contract has been good value in so much that the times the unit has gone wrong (1 pump and 2 thermocouplings) the fix has always straightforward and simple.

So Mr Gasman calls last week to do service. Opens cupboard that's been there two years (ventilated cupboard in new kitchen hardware) and says..... someones been drilling holes in the flue. Yes I replied previous gasmen ... it's how they tested for CO. Gasman looks at me says they never did, switches off boiler and gives me a note not to use the boiler. Before I argue he's off.

Anyway I talk to their service manager he agrees in the old days they did that but for £300 they can replace the flue. I refuse to pay as I say they drilled the holes not me and I want hot water !

Today the Area Service Manager and Senior Techie turn up to look at the offending flue. Yes they would have drilled the holes (incidentally filled with fire putty) but guess what the flue is too short by todays standards. So not only will they have to replace the flue but also knock out another hole in the chimney stack one foot higher. Estimate £650.

Looking around the kitchin he spots the double glazing. The two do that thing I only thought builders do, shaking their heads and tutting. The airgap in the venting is below regulatory standards. I produce the Certificates from the 2003 installation to be told it was alright then but....

I also mention the open grill in the far wall (luckily this is uncovered normally it is covered to cut down the draught) - that doesn't count as it's not an outside wall (er yes it is - an open ended passage way that connects mine and my neighbours front gardens to the back). They now need to re-site the boiler on an outer wall. Estimate £3500.

I appreciate that regulations change but how can a 60 year old house keep up with these changes and how do I know what they are. Feeling very unkind things about British Gas at the moment. No boiler and the feeling that they are just trying to generate revenue.

Anybody had similar experiences ?

Wilba,

I know what you mean. As of around 3 months ago, Corgi no longer regulate the gas industry, but the gas safe register do, and as i'm led to understand new rules came in. Basically, BG are just covering their selves. If you were to have a carbon monoxide leak, and BG hadn't taken this harsh action to point out tiny problems then you could sue them for plenty. They don't care if you do this work with them, or get someone else to do it. They just need to make sure there isn't anything remotely dodgy about your system which could cause them a headache in the future.

Did the engineer advise you that the system is "Not to current standards" or "Unsafe" ?

Hi MrHandyman,

The advisory note he left 'is not to current standards'.

I have had another independent engineer visit and he has tested boiler and it is well within required limits. He has also fitted a Carbon Monoxide alarm though he believes the ventilation is sufficient. He has agreed to service boiler every six months for the same price as BG's 1 service annual price.

The only downside as I can see is if a major component breaks down it will probably cost an arm and a leg.

If it is "not to current standards" that means that it is not up to date with ever changing regulations, but is still perfectly ok to use! I have family members who are gas engineers, and I doubt some of their systems would be to the current high standards BG ask for.

In BG, they have "not to current standards" every day, and I can honestly say it is nothing to worry about.

If you are wanting the service only, BG do it from around £60 - £90 a year depending on where you live. That could be a better option depending on what you pay for your independant engineer.