Claim Stayed – Due to Unenforceable CCA Test Cases.

Blondie40
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4280 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ABc

Edited by Josie8
  • Haha 1

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

Abc

Edited by Josie8

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

Abc

Edited by Josie8

Anyone know where it will appear?

Checked the 'usual' places, but nothing yet. Are the solicitors/CMC for this one going to post it?

Abc

Edited by Josie8

Just going back to the OFT points they also said they would want a creditor to state whether they have a copy or not when reconstructing so I really don't think the OFT position is as cut and dry and as this is about a test case we should wait until the judgement is accessible to read before making assumptions

Good point.

My argument is that a creditor should NOT be allowed to "recreate" if they no longer hold the original SIGNED agreement.

The creditor will not admit that they have lost the original, they'll claim they're having problems locating it so, here's a "recreation" . The borrower will therefore be in limbo, not knowing if the creditor holds the original for enforcement.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

Have you read it?

BBC News - Lenders warned not to mislead customers over debts (contents below)

Lenders must not mislead borrowers that their debts are enforceable, when in fact they are not, the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) says.

The regulator also says many debtors have, in turn, been misled about their ability to escape their debts. The OFT's comments are part of an intervention in a series of High Court test cases about the enforceability of debts under the Consumer Credit Act. The outcome could affect thousands of potential courts cases.

The OFT has supplied its draft guidance on part of the Consumer Credit Act (CCA) to Judge Waksman, who is hearing the cases in Manchester. "The OFT's decision to prepare guidance at this time has primarily resulted from our concern that debtors are being misled as to the meaning and interpretation of sections 77-79 [of the Act] in particular," the OFT said in a letter to the judge. "And on the other hand concern that some creditors appear not to understand the nature and extent of their obligations under these sections," it added.

Numerous disputes

The 12 test cases at the High Court in Manchester are aimed at settling a number of contentious issues about the interpretation of the law.

o.gifstart_quote_rb.gif It is important to remember that the purpose of these sections is to provide information to consumers, not to provide a method for consumers to avoid paying their debts end_quote_rb.gif

Draft OFT guidance

The general position is that lenders who wish to chase defaulting borrowers for the repayment of their loans have to comply with a number of obligations. One of them is that under sections 77-79 of the Act they should supply a "true copy" of the original signed loan agreement within 12 days of the borrower asking for it. If they do not then the debt is unenforceable until such time as the copy can be provided.

"Unfortunately, consumers have often been given an exaggerated expectation of what the creditor or owner must do in order to comply with an information request, as a result of misleading claims by claims management companies and inaccurate information on the internet," the OFT's draft guidance says. "As a result, numerous disputes have been generated over whether a request has properly been made, whether the duties have been complied with and whether as a consequence the agreement can be enforced," the OFT adds.

Unfair business practices

The OFT's guidance clearly disagrees with some of the arguments that have been put forward by some claims management companies on behalf of their clients. In particular, the regulator points out that it is perfectly legal and proper for a bank that has lost the original loan agreement, or whose copy is illegible, to supply an accurate "reconstituted" version instead, to show that the agreement did in fact include the information specified by the Act.

"It is important to remember that the purpose of these sections is to provide information to consumers, not to provide a method for consumers to avoid paying their debts," the OFT says. But the OFT goes on to advise that lenders would be acting unfairly, and potentially in breach of their consumer credit licenses, if they misled borrowers by:

• hiding or disguising the fact that there was never a proper signed agreement in the first place

• providing only a copy of the current terms and conditions, not the original ones

• confusing the borrower as to who they should send an information request after selling the debt to a debt collection company

• failing to preserve data so the borrower cannot be given an up to date statement of account.

Oh thats right - the judgment hasn't been handed down yet has it according to Baggio - so the above must be a mirage.

you sound like a real consumer champion here, i like this attitude.

let it continue... show us all the true colours.

and who you might really represent.

Oh thats right - the judgment hasn't been handed down yet has it according to Baggio - so the above must be a mirage.

josie, are you a QC?

Unnaceptable remark removed

Edited by slick132
swearing (even in abbreviated form) at others will not be tolerated

message For All

Lets Not Let This Degrade To Political Infighting Between Caggers

This Goes For Every One

This Is All Guess Work Until The Final Judgement Is Published

This Is Far To Important For Scoring Brownie Points

Lets Wait For The Judgement To Be Published Before Unsubstantiated Comments Are Posted

Lets Keep It Civil

Its Christmas

Baggio leave Josie 8 alone. Why does this forum always try to rubbish anyone who offers a different view?

From what I have just read Josie8 appears to have read the judgment and you haven't. Miffing her off might explain why she hasn't posted it.

Can you get a copy from your barrister and post it up? It would seem that the judge issued it yesterday not today

Criminal courts require beyond a reasonable doubt, civil courts require balance of probabilities hence the different slant.

S.

No. Sorry, S. The CCA is very clear on the point - the documentation is to be provided, in due form, BEFORE the credit is advanced - ie it foresaw this nonsense.

With respect, there is no different slant on that point of evidence - it is strict - it requires that the credit trader provides the criminal burden and let's face it, it's readily determined. Crowther recognised the impact of a miscarriage against the individual consumer - whereas the trader could absorb the loss (of an individual case) and learn to not do it again.

Here, the 1974 CCA carries criminal sanctions against the trader who operates a policy or practice of non-compliance.

John Story smilie.gif

www.ruinedbynatwest.com

Edited by ruinedbynatwest
typos

Please do not let this thread degenerate into trading insults.

There is obviously more to the Judgments than we know about.

Until the full ramifications have been understood, we are only guessing.

Thank you.

Edited by supasnooper
addition

ok guys simple choice here

take the view of josei8

or take the view of a QC

i have made my choice.

Remember when the Mcguff judgement was handed down? Days of discussion on here and people still couldnt agree on the main points. This is gonna be the same.

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!