Bus Lane violation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5406 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After turning right from a side road onto a main road with intention of immediately turning left, my car partially (3 wheels) entered a bus lane approx 10 yards from the end of it. A photo was taken and another, 3 secs later. A penalty notice has been received. My points are: There was no indication of the times the bus lane was in force. I checked and every other side road leading up to the junction I exited from has a sign but for this junction it is set in a position that is not visible at all from side road but a few yards further back up the main road. My car was only in the bus lane for approx 1 second as I turned and indeed the second photo shows me out of the lane. The road was empty of cars at the time so no need to go in bus lane to "jump" queue. The reply to my letter of appeal said I was in bus lane and that's it. I had to pay the £60 so I did under duress as I was to be away for some time. I feel this is wrong. Anyone exiting the side road, if driving correctly and not cutting corners, would partially enter the bus lane. Any suggestions please.

Bus lanes: No times, it is a 24 hour bus lane.

It is perfectly straightforward to enter or leave a side road without entering any bus lane. You dirve across a bus lane when it is in operation, not along it.

The authority is correct and you were wrong. There is no duress other than you didn't want to pay, so you should have appealed instead.

Now you have paid the matter is closed. Move on.

Not quite, you do get bus lanes that are only in operation at certain times

Where was the contravention alleged to have taken place?

H

If the bus lane was only in operation at certain times, the times would be shown on the sign. If no times are shown, its a 24hrs bus lane.

If the bus lane was only in operation at certain times, the times would be shown on the sign. If no times are shown, its a 24hrs bus lane.

There was no indication of the times the bus lane was in force. I checked and every other side road leading up to the junction I exited from has a sign but for this junction it is set in a position that is not visible at all from side road but a few yards further back up the main road.

:)

Not quite, you do get bus lanes that are only in operation at certain times

Where was the contravention alleged to have taken place?

H

I know - I am a driving instructor!

If you read what I said, NO TIMES means it is 24 hours.

ALL bus lanes are 24 hours UNLESS there is a sign saying otherwise. The times dispalyed will be times of operation.

If you don't see a time, then the only assumption you can make is that it is in operation. You turn left across the bus lane having checked there is no traffic undertaking legally or illegally for that matter.

Anyone exiting the side road, if driving correctly and not cutting corners, would partially enter the bus lane. Any suggestions please.

Why? They would drive at right angles to the bus lane to cross the bus lane (usually broken at junctions anyway) before turning left into the live lane.

Compare this to footpaths. You have the legal right to access your own property by driving across any footpath, as long as you don't damage it. You cannot be prosecuted for driving OVER a footpath to access you poperty AS LONG as you don't cause alarm to any pedestrian etc.

You can however be prosecuted if you want access to your property and drive ALONG the pavement to do so.

Make more sense now?

Why? They would drive at right angles to the bus lane to cross the bus lane (usually broken at junctions anyway) before turning left into the live lane.

Compare this to footpaths. You have the legal right to access your own property by driving across any footpath, as long as you don't damage it. You cannot be prosecuted for driving OVER a footpath to access you poperty AS LONG as you don't cause alarm to any pedestrian etc.

You can however be prosecuted if you want access to your property and drive ALONG the pavement to do so.

Make more sense now?

Everything Britainsworstdriver says is correct, I am also a Driving Instructor and get paid for teaching this.

If you read what I said, NO TIMES means it is 24 hours.

ALL bus lanes are 24 hours UNLESS there is a sign saying otherwise. The times dispalyed will be times of operation.

It still needs a sign even if its 24/7 its just that no times will be on the sign. That may be what you meant but it looks like you are saying a 24hr lane needs no signs at all.