vehicle tracker/timekeeping

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5383 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i was recently made redundent and ive now lodge a complaint via the tribunal service because of the way i was selected.

can someone please advised me if a company can use a vehicle tracker as a form of time keeping. i was based at home and the company was based around 80 miles from my home and i had no access to a clock machine.

thank you

I would say yes to a point. The tracker will show where the vechicle is and when the engine is started, stopped etc. a good tracker will also list your driving speed.

It will not show if you do any work at home prior to driving or if you stop and catch up with paperwork at a service station for example it just shows that you are parked up for X amount of time.

If your job entailed being on the road by a certain time or being at clients sites at a certain time then the tracker can be used to check your time keeping.

Just an afterthought (having a slow day today :p)

What type of job did you have and what were the hours stated in your contract of employment?

Did you work to these hours?

I know driving jobs cannot be held to exact hours depending on traffic, weather conditions etc

how accurate is the tracker? The firm i used to work for the trackers were not up to scratch? once it listed me driving around in blackpool when i was in fact in hereford. It even did this on other vehicals including the managers.

there seems to be so many grey areas about trackers in vehicles and a lot of mis-information going around. i hope what i'm about to say isn't classed the same.

your employer cannot install a tracker which they claim is for insurance and then proceed to moniter time keeping, the whereabouts ect. of the operator of the vehicle.

if your contract states their use of the tracker or you have signed a piece of paper, allowing them to check on you then their is nothing you can do about it.

i hope i'm not misleading you, and someone can put us all straight once and for all. but DO remember, whatever the law, they will still use the trackers to spy (it's like a toy to some 'power tripping' managers), but they will give other reasons for their evidence

Its quite common for employers to install trackers in their vehicles and for the employee driving the vehicle to be none the wiser. When the tracker is first installed many employers ask for a "discreet install" ie whereby the tracking kit and sim is hidden and/or secured down to avoid the employee trying to tamper with it.

To my knowedge (and I used to sell vehicle tracking) it is not against the law to do so. Tracking the movements of the employee outside of working hours is the grey ..if not definitely unlawful ..area.

i would like to put my two cents in

royal mail is now installing these devices in its vehicles but they call them telemetry not trackers and the excuse is for insurance purpose in case of an accident

i to would like clarification on what an employer can and cant do ref these telemetry devices

the union is keeping rather quiet on them also