• Tweets

• Found a BMA article related to this subject which I think the OP will find helpful. Patients recording consultations WWW.BMA.ORG.UK Our guidance answers if patients can record doctors without permission or covertly, how to respond when a patient asks to record their appointment and what to do if a covert recording is posted online.  
    • Ah - that was another thread that got merged back in 2018   That 'split' doesnt refer to this legal matter  
    • Thanks dx for your kind words. I plan to renew my season ticket and write a new begging letter as following, can I ask for any suggestion about it?   Dear Investigator/Prosecutor,   Thank you for your reply. I deeply regret my actions and the inconvenience they have caused.   I’m extremely remorseful for my crime. and regret it everyday. I often ask myself ‘’how can I do that thing just because I felt it is interesting. There are a lot of crimes in the world, but feeling it’s interesting is certainly not a reason to crime. I should not crime with any reason.’’ I think about these things every day, and I understand that I can’t blame anyone but myself.   I thanks to the staff who stopped me, as this is a valuable lesson in my life. I told myself that I should never ever repeat such a thing again, and never ever do anything which is possible to be in breach of any law. As a result, I carefully tap my oyster card every time before I enter the station now. I remind myself that I did a wrong thing before, and I should never let it happen again.   Although my monthly travel expenses do not warrant a season ticket, but I just renew my season ticket (please see the attachment). I understand that a crime cannot be truly compensated for, but purchasing a season ticket offers me a small measure of comfort, knowing that my actions caused a loss to the public interest.   I received an email which ask me to negotiate being class teacher in this summer (please see the attachment). I hope that I could teach the lovely students again, which may not be allowed with a criminal record. I would please ask that you would please provide me a single opportunity to settle all outstanding sums owed outside of court without the need for legal proceedings which would have a determinantal impact on my teaching career.   I sincerely apologise again for my crime. If you need anything further from me to help you please let me know.    Yours sincerely,
    • You did what??? You asked them to send you the documents that without them you had  a 100% ironclad win in Court. Why on earth would you do that? As it happens in this case, there is still enough mistakes in their PCNs and the NTH to have your case cancelled. Amd it may be that not sending those documents in the first place along with the ICO complaint and the letters from Alliance themselves which would confirm by the dates on the letters may be enough to cancel it anyway. I hope you have kept their letters as evidence? The chances are that Alliance will not actually take you to Court because of their errors but you never know.  You have made so much extra work for yourself in your WS if they decide to push their luck.though. Can you please post up their letter where they give the reason why I wasn't sent with the NTH.
    • I'm not sure that I fully agree with my site team colleague above.  My understanding is that there is nothing to stop you recording but it is strictly for your own personal use.   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HSBC not playing fair

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Vint and TS80

No there was no overdraft on the account they made it overdrawn with this transaction.

Yes i have sent a letter asking for clarification on the action they have made on my account but they just sent another final demand.

My thoughts were to send a very firm letter demanding they explain their actions. And if they dont il complain to the FSA.

Any thoughts

GG

You realy need to make it clear that they have acted unlawfull, in setting up an overdraft that you have asked for. Silence on that subject, may be seen as acceptance in that area.

Send Slicks letter, but ensure that they are aware that the overdraft is not acceptable to you.

I would follow that through with a definite complaint to the FSA and maybe trading standards also.

I don't think asking them to explain their actions will do any good. We know why they did it and so do they.

You need to be outraged at these people.

Copy your letter to your local branch, even your MP, explaining the situation. You can do this by e mail.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your replies pedross, vint and your letter Slick.

Is it not possible that if i send a letter stating that i am seeking advice on this matter and that i did not agree to this overdraft, then as this action has only been done on Internet banking, i have not got a letter stating what they have done, so they could reverse their action. My initial letter was to coax a letter out of them proving what they have done, all i have is a print out of my current account showing the huge debt.

My thoughts were, in my next letter i would demand for them to explain their action, and ask for them to inform me of what they have terminated and why my current account is thousands overdrawn. And if they do not reply to my letter i will complain to the FSA.

Il wait for your comments before i send it off.

Thanks

GG

Hi GG,

I agree with you - that you should wait for the bank to confirm their position or explain things as they see it. Steaming in heavy handed is not what I'd recommend yet.

for a CFA
DD - is this a Conditional Fee Arrangement

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi GG,

I agree with you - that you should wait for the bank to confirm their position or explain things as they see it. Steaming in heavy handed is not what I'd recommend yet.

DD - is this a Conditional Fee Arrangement

yes- IMO this is as "bang to rights" a civil case that a lawyer would ever have

Thanks for sharing this unacceptable behaviour with HSBC.

I am in a similar situation with them, they admitted they do not hold the original credit agreement. This seems to be happening a lot with HSBC (and most probably for a reason, I seem to remember the application form had no terms). So they are making the agreements disappear it would seem.

I also had a current account too with zero balance and no overdraft. Having read your post, I popped in the local brach first thing in the morning and closed the current account so they do not do the same to me. I am banking with another "thief" at the moment. Let's see what other tricks they will come up with.

Thanks for sharing this unacceptable behaviour with HSBC.

I am in a similar situation with them, they admitted they do not hold the original credit agreement. This seems to be happening a lot with HSBC (and most probably for a reason, I seem to remember the application form had no terms). So they are making the agreements disappear it would seem.

I also had a current account too with zero balance and no overdraft. Having read your post, I popped in the local brach first thing in the morning and closed the current account so they do not do the same to me. I am banking with another "thief" at the moment. Let's see what other tricks they will come up with.

personally i would be inclined to deliberatly OPEN an account- not close one

I would be more than happy for them to "create" an overdraft off their own back and pay my credit card account off with it

I would acknowledge that the credit account was paid up and write them a second letter telling them where they could stick their account with the overdraft on it

seems to me like he's had a brilliant result when he gets it sorted!!

• 1 month later...

An update on this HSBC have written to me stating they moved the account balance into my current account so they could reconstruct a new loan, and then they could pay back the PPI i complained about.

Only thing is i never agreed to a new loan, they had sent me a consent form but i never signed it and i have not spoke with them on the phone.

So if anyone is around today thats helped me on this, opinions please before i get some legal advice this week. Or maybe one last letter is needed, im open to advice.

Thanks

GG

You need to tell them that you will not accept this being moved to your current account and that their actions are unlawfull as you have not requested this. Point out that they have no autorization and they must credit your current account, removing the unautherized overdraft.

Then make a complaint to OFT, FOS, MP and bank chairman.

Thanks Vint

Is there a section of the banking code that deals with debit sums only being transferred to other accounts with credit balances only?

GG

There will be, but I am not up to speed with the banking code. The right to off set only includes taking positive ballances. I guess that what they are trying to do is give you an unauthorized overdraft. A big no no. This should have been delt with a month ago though.

You realy do need to turn this around, insisting that they credit your bank accout forthwith and any interest or charges. Make it clear that you are not going to accept a new loan or the overdraft. They are missleading when they say they need to do this to sort out the PPI. They are trying to introduce a new enforcable loan. Now that they have closed the other loan, they are stuffed. They cannot reinstate it unless you agree, which you wont.

You realy need to jump on this now and report them to the OFT and FOS.

Thanks Vint

I have already drafted out a very strong letter stating what you have said above and what slick had advised and i also threatened legal action if i do not a satisfactory reply.

And i also demanded the ppi refund by cheque and by return of post.

Thanks again

GG

• 6 months later...
There will be, but I am not up to speed with the banking code. The right to off set only includes taking positive ballances. I guess that what they are trying to do is give you an unauthorized overdraft. A big no no. This should have been delt with a month ago though.

You realy do need to turn this around, insisting that they credit your bank accout forthwith and any interest or charges. Make it clear that you are not going to accept a new loan or the overdraft. They are missleading when they say they need to do this to sort out the PPI. They are trying to introduce a new enforcable loan. Now that they have closed the other loan, they are stuffed. They cannot reinstate it unless you agree, which you wont.

You realy need to jump on this now and report them to the OFT and FOS.

yes there is ( i have lost it due to a computer crash) but they CANNOT create an overdraft by transferring the debt onto your bank account

HOWEVER the good news is that if they have- then they have paid off your existing agreement so it is satisfied and unfortuneately for them have now entered into an agreement with you which is not valid under the consumer credit act since (presumably) you have not signed an agreement with the prescribed terms for this new loan!!

this is taken from the ombudsman's office:-

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

The basic position is that a firm has a right – but not a duty – to look at a customer’s overall position and to ‘combine’ the accounts held by that customer. This is sometimes called a right of ‘set off’ or a right to ‘combine’ accounts. A firm has this as a general right, whether or not it mentions the right in the account terms. So, in the examples above, the firm can transfer money from an account that is in credit in order to make payments due on another account. But it does not have to do this.

Certain conditions must be met before the firm can exercise its right of ‘set off’.

The account from which the firm transfers funds must be held by the customer who owes the firm money.

The account from which the firm transfers the money – and the account from which the money would otherwise have come – must both be held with the same firm.

The account from which the firm transfers funds – and the account from which the money would otherwise have come – must both be held in the same capacity by the customer concerned. So, for example, if Mrs C holds a savings account in her capacity as treasurer of a local society, the firm cannot take money from that account to pay Mrs C’s personal credit card bill that she normally pays from the current account she holds in a personal capacity.

The debt must be due and payable. For example, if a customer misses making a loan payment, then (at least until it calls in the loan) the firm can take only the missed payment – not the balance of the loan.

We would not usually expect a firm to warn customers before it exercises its right of ‘set off’. A warning might prompt customers to move their money to an account with a different firm. But we think that it is usually good practice for a firm to tell a customer as soon as possible after it has made a transfer.

Hi all

Its still ongoing, a lot of correspondence is changing hands but getting nowhere.

Thanks DD but it was a loan not a credit card, dont think that matters though.

After all the letters i have sent they will not comment on what they have done, they just get their DCA monkeys at MCS to hassle me.

I think they know they are in trouble because they havent issued any claim forms, as i have been asking them to do.

GG