• Tweets

• I had some contact with this company earlier in my working life but I'm afraid there's not a lot I can suggest that you haven't already done. During your grandfather's time  British Celanese was a subsidiary of Courtaulds. Courtaulds was subsequently (after your grandfather had stopped working there) acquired by Alzo Nobel. They in turn closed down the Spondon site and sold it. I have no idea what the number is that you are trying to call. It's a Derby (Spondon) area code but the number appears not to be allocated. From my slim knowledge of the history of the company I would have expected your grandfather's pension to be in the Alzo Nobel (CPS) Pension Scheme.  But Willis Tower Watson are the Pension Scheme Administrator of that scheme and would be the people who should know if your grandfather had contributed. Is your grandfather certain he contributed? Joining pension schemes wasn't compulsory in those days. Or might he have got his contributions returned when he left them? That happened sometimes back then. Sorry not to be of more help.      
    • I am sorry I am not aware of this report from IAS assessors? The Court will consider my application at a online hearing in June. The Court instructed me to send Bank copies of my sons condition proving he could not have been the driver I have heard nothing further. My son is not aware of any proceedings I have not involved him to avoid causing him distress, he has been sectioned a fair few times and I need to avoid this happening.
    • I am very pleased that the Court has taken the decision to allow you to  represent your son and hope that he is happy enough with that to relieve the stress he will also be feeling. I do agree that Bank parking are so insensitive, greedy, horrible etc etc to continue proceedings considering  in what it is a very minor case of a wrong number plate . Even their  own  IAS Assessors, who are normally hopelessly biased in favour of their members, went out on a limb and said  " The Operator's evidence shows no payment for the Appellant's vehicle, or anything similar. It does show two payments for the same registration in quick succession. I would take a reasonable guess, based on the circumstances described, that the person paying has paid for the registration of the person they assisted again." That is damning evidence and you must take that report with you as well as including that in your Witness Statement which we will help you with. I would expect that Bank would discontinue the case at that point.  But I am sorry to say  that you should not count on it.  
    • Evening all,   I have deliberated over this offer for two weeks and I have decided to take their offer. I do understand that some may prefer us to go to court and receive a judgement but with our personal circumstances and my current military commitment that could become an issue. I am so grateful for all the help and support you have all offered me over the last few months. I will continue to monitor this site and push all those that are being wrong to get in touch.   Thank you! what you all do is truly amazing!
    • When I first responded to the PAPLOC, and received that 29 page junk back it was accompanied with a letter saying that they had already responded to my request back on Feb 18th 2023,(I never received it). I was just clearing out some paperwork today and found a letter from Lowell, dated Feb 17th 2023, explaining that they were still waiting for the documents from PayPal, and my account was on hold  until further notice.  Does this mean they were lying and can it be used against them if this goes any further? I have now filed my defence, and have had an acknowledgement from Overdales and the court. A little threatening from Overdales , explaining that part of my defence was invalid because they have now complied with the CCA, and they were still waiting for the Default notice from PayPal.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Summary Warrants & Sheriff Officer fees

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5409 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When our small business folded, unbeknown to us there was a small (£110) balance remaining on Business Rates - the Council concerned obtained a Summary Warrant against us in a batch list (i.e. not an individual Ordinary Cause or Summary Cause action) - again unbeknown to us the Council had an incorrect address, hence we didn't get to hear about it until recently.

When Sheriff officers recently served a Charge for Payment of Money order, they hand-wrote Sheriff Officers fees of £106-10. We have immediately settled the debt of £110 (which is not disputed), but queried the fees, the amount levied being the current Ordinary Cause fees. We have paid the Summary Cause fees of £67-30 (which we believe to be correct in this case), but the remaining £38-80 is in dispute. We have contacted the Society of Messengers at Arms and asked them to investigate, and the response back is that whilst it was a Summary Warrant, this should not be confused with Summary Cause vs. Ordinary cause, and that the action was an Ordinary Cause action.

My understanding is that an Ordinary Cause action would be an individual action, not a job list, would have an individual court reference number (which dispite asking for, no one can apparently provide), and would be listed in Stubbs Gazette. The local Sheriff Court where the Summary Warrant was raised have helpfully searched both individual Ordinary Cause AND Summary Cause judgements, and can find no trace. We could be quite wrong in this respect, but all the evidence we can find so far points to over-charging of Sheriff Officer fees.

I would be interested to here from other members who may have been in similar circumstances. We may be incorrect in our assertion here, but if not, from what we have seen this may be a fairly wide-spread over-charging practice.

Guest Happy Contrails
but all the evidence we can find so far points to over-charging of Sheriff Officer fees.

The Sheriff Officer commits an offence under Section 2 of the Fraud Act 2006. You can file a claim in the Small Claims Track (check to see if this applies to Scotland) More: https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco/index.jsp and you have a right to make a criminal complaint to Police. The Sheriff will probably be interviewed under caution and his DNA will go on Police records. You should give the Sheriff Officer an opportunity to refund you the unlawful fees before throwing the book. Send this by post and by email

The HCEO Office

Their Address 1

Their Address 2

Their Address 3

Postcode

BY POST AND BY EMAIL

DATE

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: [YOUR NAME + REF]: Your fees.

I write following visits by your Sheriff Officer, however looking at your documents and seeking advice there appears to an irregularity with your fees. I now ask you to provide the following within seven (7) days:

1) Written confirmation of your fees

2) Written confirmation of the original debt

3) The name and address of the organisation that instructed you

4) Truthfully confirm in writing that your fees are lawful and comply with legislation or b) refund me the unlawful fees plus reasonable compensation for being cheated by your Sheriff Officer with his fees by midday the seventh day from the date of this letter.

A person who dishonestly charges for work that has not been done will be committing an offence under the Fraud Act 2006. Section 2 of the Act specifically describes a person dishonestly makes a false representation and intends, by making the representation, to make a gain for himself or another, or cause a loss to another, or expose another to a risk of loss. If no satisfactory refund is made to me by 12.00 midday seven (7) days from the date of this letter I will automatically make a criminal complaint to Police under the 2006 Fraud Act and the Proceeds of Crime Act. If you have charged VAT on unlawful fees then you may be reported for VAT fraud and your documents will be given in evidence.

This letter is delivered by Royal Mail and deem it good service by the ordinary course of post under Section 7 of the Interpretation Act 1978. It is now is your responsibility and in your best interests this letter is handed to the relevant person within your organisation.

Yours Sincerely

YOUR NAME

Send this to local Police:

The Chief Constable

Name of Police Authority

Address 1

Address 2

Address 3

Postcode

DATE

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Reporting a crime committed under the Fraud Act 2006

I enclose a document given to me by a man saying he is a Sheriff Offcier and is charging me fees of £AMOUNT when legislation says the maximum fee is £AMOUNT.

I write to you understanding the Sheriff Officer commits an offence under the 2006 Fraud Act. A bailiff or any other person who dishonestly charges for work that has not been done will be committing an offence under the Fraud Act 2006. Section 1 of the 2006 Act contains the new general offence of fraud.

Section 1 means by which this offence can be committed is set out in Section 2, on fraud by false representation. This section applies where a person dishonestly makes a false representation and intends, by making the representation, to make a gain for himself or another, or cause a loss to another, or expose another to a risk of loss. It is also possible that, where a bailiff repeatedly charges for work that has not been done, this conduct will amount to fraudulent trading either under Section 9 of the 2006 Act or under the provisions on fraudulent trading in company legislation.

I take this opportunity to bring to your attention to Lord Lucas sitting at the House of Lords on 20 April 2007 when he asked HM Government whether it would be right for the police to claim that such an action is a civil and not a criminal matter. The Minister of State, Home Office (Baroness Scotland of Asthal) replied with, inter-alia (quote) A bailiff or any other person who dishonestly charges for work that has not been done will be committing an offence under the Fraud Act 2006(unquote).

Please assign a crime reference number and I ask the police this crime is investigated professionally and objectively and I am happy to help you in your enquiries and stand as a prosecution witness at trial.

Yours Sincerely

YOUR NAME

Enc: copy of document

If the council is still trying to claim money from you then get the debt back into council administration. This is a generic English law template so modify as needed.

Council Tax (Enforcements) Department

Invincible Borough Council

Address 1

Address 2

Address 3

Postcode

[DATE]

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: [YOUR NAME & ANY REF]: Visit by your bailiff on [DATE]

I have had an opportunity to seek advice and I write on the understanding that case law has ruled an authority is liable for its bailiffs.

On [DATE] I was visited by your bailiff collecting unpaid council tax. We were unable to reach an amicable resolve and the bailiff showed threatening behaviour and became defensive and vexatious in nature. He made unrealistic demands of money which are way beyond my means and has been caught cheating with his fees by charging unlawful amounts contrary to regulations.

I now ask the Council to:

a) Take the case back from the bailiff.

b) Accept my original offer to pay £[AMOUNT] a week to clear the arrears

c) Pay me a reasonable compensation for my inconvenience and for my efforts in seeking discovery of information and

d) Receiving an over-zealous bailiff acting for you making unrealistic demands of money and defrauding me with his fees.

If you fail to satisfactorily complete the above I will automatically escalate the complaint to the local government ombudsman in fourteen days from the date of this letter. Please treat this letter as Stage 1.

Due to my circumstances I am unable to pay the debt as demanded by the bailiffs and I will make payment of £[AMOUNT] each month for [NUMBER OF] monthly installments with a final installment of £[AMOUNT]. This may seem a long time but it's all I can afford and allows me to pay future liabilities without falling into arrears. I confirm I am not refusing to pay this debt.

This letter is delivered by Royal Mail and deem properly served on you by the ordinary course of post under Section 7 of the Interpretation Act 1978. It is now your responsibility and in your own interests this letter is handed to the relevant person within your organisation.

Yours Sincerely

[NAME]

Enc 1st payment.

Then watch the fun start...

When our small business folded, unbeknown to us there was a small (£110) balance remaining on Business Rates - the Council concerned obtained a Summary Warrant against us in a batch list (i.e. not an individual Ordinary Cause or Summary Cause action) - again unbeknown to us the Council had an incorrect address, hence we didn't get to hear about it until recently.

When Sheriff officers recently served a Charge for Payment of Money order, they hand-wrote Sheriff Officers fees of £106-10. We have immediately settled the debt of £110 (which is not disputed), but queried the fees, the amount levied being the current Ordinary Cause fees. We have paid the Summary Cause fees of £67-30 (which we believe to be correct in this case), but the remaining £38-80 is in dispute. We have contacted the Society of Messengers at Arms and asked them to investigate, and the response back is that whilst it was a Summary Warrant, this should not be confused with Summary Cause vs. Ordinary cause, and that the action was an Ordinary Cause action.

My understanding is that an Ordinary Cause action would be an individual action, not a job list, would have an individual court reference number (which dispite asking for, no one can apparently provide), and would be listed in Stubbs Gazette. The local Sheriff Court where the Summary Warrant was raised have helpfully searched both individual Ordinary Cause AND Summary Cause judgements, and can find no trace. We could be quite wrong in this respect, but all the evidence we can find so far points to over-charging of Sheriff Officer fees.

I would be interested to here from other members who may have been in similar circumstances. We may be incorrect in our assertion here, but if not, from what we have seen this may be a fairly wide-spread over-charging practice.

This is clearly a case issued by the local council in Scotland and the rules regarding bailiffs ( in scotland: Sheriffs) are so very different. However what you have explained is in widespread and common in the UK and Wales as well.

In the UK the bailiff (sheriff) is under a legal obligation to provide a breakdown of fees under a Subject Access Request. If this is available to you, I would strongly advise this route.

Guest Happy Contrails

Hi TT, I would like to make a comment on SAR's. The Data protection Act is all about personal data. Getting a fee-breakdown is not defined as personal data under the Act. Its an old bailiffs gag to hide behind the Data protection Act to deter a potential claim for unlawful fees and bank a £10 cheque.

Legislation can already says what a bailiff or Sheriff can charge and a simple letter requesting a refund is sufficient.

Enormous Thanks to Happy Contrails et. al. for the wealth of good information. We now have a resolution on this issue, thanks in part to helpful staff at the local Sheriff's court (we have found them to be very approachable and helpful :)!). In this case, it appears the fee IS correct. Chasing up a suggestion from them, we eventually found an explanatory clause to the Act of Sederunt covering fees, at:

Act of Sederunt (Fees of Sheriff Officers) (No. 2) 2002 No. 567

Act of Sederunt (Fees of Sheriff Officers) (No. 2) 2002 No. 567

(google "SSI 2002/567")

This contains, under "General Regulations" the following clause:

15. The fees payable to a sheriff officer in respect of recovery of rates, charges or taxes by

summary warrant shall be calculated in accordance with the fees specified in the Table of Fees for

ordinary causes.

So, in this case, the fee IS calculated correctly, and we will remit the remainder.

To contribute something back, here is a brief synopsis of what we have found, so others can check they are not being overcharged.

TYPES OF CASES: there seem to be four main classes of cases in Scotland Sheriff Courts:

• Ordinary Cause
  • Summary Cause
  • Small Claims
  • Sheriff Warrant

Ordinary, Summary and Small Claims are all individual cases, and can be readily located in searches by the Courts, and we believe are all defendable. Sheriff Warrant is most frequently a single case comprising a "batch" of actions countersigned by a Sheriff, and the courts may not be readily able to locate from your details. We believe in general a Sheriff Warrant is not defendable, and as in our case you may receive no prior notification.

Ordinary cause is a "full" procedure, generally over about £5000 (currently), and your details will be listed in Stubbs Gazette, almost certainly will affect credit records. Summary cause is an abreviated procedure, generally won't appear in Stubbs Gazette but may still affect credit records. There is always the option open to the pursuer for amounts under the threshold to still be pursued under Ordinary Cause. The Sheriff Court concerned will be able to confirm very quickly which one it is. I believe in both costs can be awarded.

Small Claims I have had less chance to look at, it may be similar to English Small Claims, and tends not to have costs awarded. Sheriff Warrants generally are not defendable (the Sheriff will normally sign if the details and evidence appear to be correct). However, the individual names on items are not normally listed, and the court may have difficulty locating from your details. It is unlikely to appear on credit records unless by some action of the persuer. However, Sheriff Officer fees are allowed to be charged, and specifically for items classed as "Taxation", including most Council actions the full "Ordinary Cause" costs are specified, not the reduced "Summary Cause" costs.

To check Sheriff Officer fees, first determine the type of case, remembering for fees purposes most Council-initiated Sheriff Warrants WILL count as "Ordinary Cause". Then find the most recent table of fees allowed.

It changes usually at least once a year - google "Act of Sederunt (Fees of Sheriff Officers)" - the one you need will usually have last years date on it, coming into effect usually during January of the following year. It can be tricky to read these, as they are usually updates upon updates, but the main fees table is usually published in full (but without the explanatory notes). The main fees table is six columns, grouped into two groups of three, usually labelled "Column A" and "Column B" - Column A is for a Summary Cause judgement and Column B is Ordinary Cause.

Within each group are three bands of distance - the distance concerned is generally "as the crow flies" distance from the nearest Sheriff Officer's business address, Band 3 for instance is 18 miles and above, and NOT the particular distance travelled by the officer who turns up. I believe special permission from the Court is needed to vary this. If necessary, get a breakdon of the fee, and check each listed item CAREFULLY - generally fees can only be charged for items the Sheriff Officer successfully executed, not tried and failed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Happy Contrails, like you I am not particularly clued up on Scots Law, having moved to Scotland six years ago, but I seem to be learning a lot very quickly.:confused:

I've taken a look at the 2007 ammendment you suggested, and it is confusing - however, if you take a look at Ammendment of Fees, section 2, para 3:

(3) In general regulation 15, for “in the Table of Fees for ordinary causes” substitute “column B of the Table of Fees”.

Column B is the Ordinary Cause fees (in fact, it used to be labelled explicitely "Ordinary Cause", but got changed to avoid even more confusion???, I think!).

General Regulation 15, in the 2002 Act (No. 2 update) is the one which reads:

15. The fees payable to a sheriff officer in respect of recovery of rates, charges or taxes by

summary warrant shall be calculated in accordance with the fees specified in the Table of Fees for

ordinary causes.

So, unfortunately in this case, I think it is still the higher Ordinary Cause fees that apply.

In researching this, there are a couple of key principles that have emerged for us:

• "Taxation", and this covers much debts with local Councils, generally carries a greater emphasis in Scots law, and you need to look at particularly carefully.

• It is also important to understand which of the types of case yours is, be it Ordinary Cause, Summary Cause, Small Claims or Sheriffs Warrant/Summary Warrant. Note that there is NO connection between Summary Warrant and Summary Cause. A Summary Warrant is (I beleive) the same as a Sheriff's warrant.

If your case is either Ordinary Cause or Summary Cause, the court can quickly check for you, and I suspect the same is true of Small Claims. A "Sheriffs Warrant" or "Summary Warrant" they would find difficult to verify without a Case reference number.

Perversely, if the Council had raised a Summary Cause action against us (involving them more cost and complication), the addressing mistake would have been found earlier, and even if it had gotten to the point of paying Sheriff's officer fees, these would have been significantly LOWER.

On the one hand, a Sheriff Summary Warrant can be issued against you without you necessarily being notified and there is almost no opportunity to defend/challenge, on the other hand you have to recognise the special treatment in Scots law of debts of "Taxation", in which case it makes kinda sense if you bear this principle in mind.

Interestingly, there is a HM Revenue manual "Debt Management and Banking Manual" detailing precisely how HMRC should proceed - there are plenty of checks in this manual, so if they are following it, mistakes ought to be rare. I suspect Local Councils have something similar, if not use this one directly. If you suspect e.g. a council HAS not correctly followed procedure, it might be a good starting point to walk through to find procedural errors. It looks as though this might have been part-released under a Freedom of Information request, find it at:

debt Management and Banking Manual: Introduction: Main Contents

Anyway, Happy Contrails, continue to do the good digging and sharing, the more actual info we get, hopefully the better Government we'll eventually receive.:lol:

There is something not right, something niggling me.

non domestic rates are normally collected in the same manner as Council Tax.

With CT they can only add 10% of the balance to cover the sheriff officer fees when a summary warrant is granted but some regions may differ.

yest cannot find a definate answer if non Dom rates are to be recovered the same way. but will akeep ascouting

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

found it:

this is for falkirk council but should be across the board, (might help if i know what council you are under:

http://www.falkirk.gov.uk/services/finance/revenues/forms_and_leaflets/PDFs/non-domestic_rates/collection_policy.pdf

can only charge 10% of the due balance so you should have only paid £11

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Thanks Ida,

Have gotton hold of the policy document - the council in this case is Highland Council. The charge concerned is Sheriff Officer fees for serving Charge for Payment, I have clarified that the Ordinary Cause scale of fees for Sheriff Oficers SHOULD be used (the higher fee), this Charge for Payment is a follow-on from the original Sheriff Warrant. I note, though, that this policy document contains the following:

5.1 The Council will seek to recover from the debtor all court expenses and Sheriff

Officer’s fees necessary and reasonably incurred in the raising of court action against

them, subject to approval of the court. The amount of court expenses and Sheriff

Officer’s fees are fixed by statute and charges will be recovered where appropriate.

Yes, they have levied the 10% surcharge, and if Highlands policy is similar, they CAN also charge any subsequent Sheriff Officer fees as determined by scale charges. To me, it does look as though they ARE entitled to do this (unfortunately, in our case). In fact, the section above seems to imply they can also try to recover the original Sheriff Warrant fees for the original action, which they havn't (but they might have to go back to the court on this one).

i wasn't aware of that but as you say it's in the original policy then they are covered

ida x

Thanks for posting those letters up there Contrails - V. helpful and on checking out the Fraud act, and various others, the **** balliffs are actually commiting more offences than just under the fraud act.....

just can't work out how the hell no authority is not clamping down on them?

It must be the only profession that can allow theft of money. (apart from solicitors and accountants of course! (but at least they dont hold a gun to your head)