style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone

My wife and I rented a house about 2 1/2 years ago and paid a deposit of £595. We left in April after some problems with the tenancy (including finding out that the Landlord doesn't own the property outright as he claimed but just a 1/3rd share, when we started asking questions he didn't renew our tenancy).

The Landlord and his agent have done an outgoing inventory without me there and won't give me a copy of the inventory. However they have produced a Dilapidations Report saying the damage identified in the outgoing inventory will cost £825 to put right - it's just a complete joke, including such gems as £80 to cut the grass! Without the outgoing inventory it's pretty meaningless, and we have found out that the Lanldord has had loads of improvements done to the house - no prizes for guessing where our deposit went! So basically we haven't had any of our deposit back.

The Landlord refers me to the agent and the agent just sends me stupid letters (even taking the p*ss out of my name). Have threatened legal action but no joy. The only thing I have had from my Landlord is a letter saying he has found out I have overpaid the electricity and as I am due a refund from the electricity company he hopes that resolves the issue of the deposit!

Am seriously contemplating MCOL but I am worried that the Landlord will just produce the outgoing inventory at court and I won't have a chance to rebut it. Has anyone had a similar situation?

Thanks

B-B

Take him to court, they'll be used to this and the fact that the landlord has refused to give you a copy of the inventory (which I'm sure you're meant to sign and agree to) will not go in his favour same as trying to charge £80 for cutting the grass. Produce a pic of the size of the grassed area in court - that'll scupper him (unless you were renting a country manor?). Don't be afraid of this its a common tactic by landlords and they make thousands a year by refusing to give deposits back

I found this on another thread but you may be able to use this as an LBA letter.

Unfair deposit deductions

Good luck.

First letter to halifax sent rec del 26/4

Data Protection Act letter to capital one sent rec del 26/4

Halifax 1st offer dated 5/5

Capital One ack Data Protection Act request rec 6/5

Request for repayment to Capital One 2/8

LBA sent 22/8

Court proceedings issued 13/10

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11