• Tweets

• Good Law Project are trying to force HMG to release details of how Sunak's hedge fund made large profits from Moderna. Government ordered to disclose Sunak’s hedge fund emails - Good Law Project GOODLAWPROJECT.ORG Good Law Project has won a battle with the Treasury after it tried to suppress emails between Rishi Sunak and the hedge fund he founded.  
    • Nick Wallis has written up the first day of Angela van den Bogerd's evidence to the inquiry. I thought she was awful. She's decided to go with being not bright enough to spot what was happening over Fujitsu altering entries on the Horizon system, rather than covering up important facts. She's there today as well. The First Lady of Flat Earth – Post Office Scandal WWW.POSTOFFICESCANDAL.UK Angela van den Bogerd, on oath once more It is possible that Angela van den Bogerd and her senior colleagues (Rodric Williams, Mark Davies, Susan...  
    • Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ousba - Default Notice And Ccj Wrong!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly,

I did not sign a credit agreement with the OU and signed an agreement to pay money with the OUSBA, however the agreement states that i must pay fees of some sort but even so HOW MUCH?????

I'm I write in saying to that the Distance Marketing Regs come into this as it was a long distance agreement, there is no mention of this in the agreement either??????????? what are my rights here to.

I will also post up the default notice and the termination letter for you guys,

Time is ticking and i need to produce a defence for the set a side also on what grounds to challenge this.

I need more people to contribute your help really is needed now, thanks

re the latest agreement, it's as I said - they now make you take out a credit agreement for each course, rather than the revolving credit that we used to have.

It's all to do with start dates. If you cancelled the course BEFORE the start date, then you pay nothing. If you cancelled it one day after the start date, you are liable for 1/3rd of the fees. That's how the OU has always worked.

I think the problem is, that you cancelled the OUSBA agreement, but did you cancel the course ??? One will not just cancel the other.

If you didn't cancel the course as well, then you are liable for the fees, therefore cancelled OUSBA or not, you still need to pay what was placed on there!

So whilst some are saying "pure bovine" You also have an agreement with the OU that is seperate from OUSBA. - I hope that makes sense.

When you've had all the help you need, make sure you stick around to help others too!

Just think, if everyone left the site after they'd got their help, there might not be anyone left the next time YOU come back needing more assistance!!!!!!!

I think as a start, I would write to them and ask

How they can pursue you for money when They have sent You a valid cancellation request... (having just read the cancellation request and the dates on there are within the five days..)

When you've had all the help you need, make sure you stick around to help others too!

Just think, if everyone left the site after they'd got their help, there might not be anyone left the next time YOU come back needing more assistance!!!!!!!

The cancellation form says that if you cancel within 5 days they cancel the course & agreement and you owe nothing

You did that

Your SAR confirms it

case closed (or it should be)

I think that is a revolving credit agreement. It might be enforceable but it was cancelled anyway so it doesn't matter

You have a clear case for the set-aside because of the cancellation

You have a clear defence for their original action (the set-aside just takes it back to the beginning) - the cancellation

You will have a case for libel because of the default registered at the CRAs for credit that you never had

• Haha 1

Try writing to them

Without Prejudice save as to costs

Dear sir

I cancelled my credit agreement no **** that day after I received it. This was in the 5 days that you allow to cancel the course and agreement.

My subject access request confirms that this was done.

I contacted you to inform you of my change of address but you failed to record this on your system.

Subsequently you have registered a default on my Credit Reference file and have obtained a County Court Judgement by default as you sent the court documents to my old address.

The default and CCJ were for credit that you did not provide.

I would invite you to

1. obtain a set-aside for the judgement

2. discontinue the then outstanding case against me

3. remove all adverse comments (including default and CCJ) from my credit file

If you notify me that this has been done in the next 7 days then I will be prepared to negotiate a settlement for the counterclaim that I would have been making as well as the substantial damages for the libel and harm done to me, caused by the default and CCJ on my credit file

hi guys

thanks for the responses again,

This is starting to really confuse me now, in one of my letters i sent them a copy of the copy i had that i sent to them cancelling the course. This might their argument in court where the copy of the form was what i sent to them which was to late in my letter after the course started???

I mean it will be my word against theirs???

One major thing that is puzzling me is that how do the distance marketing regs affect this, surely they must follow the guidelines of the oft.

Also could you please answer the following to:

1. Is the default notice correct??

2. Is the termination letter correct??

3. How will distance marketing regs affect this as it was sent to my home to sign??

4. Isn't the first agreement an application???

5. Is'nt the second agreement the executed one??? (without my signature)

6. Are'nt they meant to give me 14 days to cancel not just 5???

7. If its a revolving account isn't meant to state that???

SEE BELOW THIS TO DOES IT HELP HERE:

Duty to supply copy of executed agreement.

(1) If the unexecuted agreement is presented personally to the debtor or hirer for his signature, and on the occasion when he signs it the document becomes an executed agreement, a copy of the executed agreement, and of any other document referred to in it, must be there and then delivered to him.

(2) A copy of the executed agreement, and of any other document referred to in it, must be given to the debtor or hirer within the seven days following the making of the agreement unless (a)subsection (1) applies, or(b)the unexecuted agreement was sent to the debtor or hirer for his signature and, on the occasion of his signing it, the document became an executed agreement.

(a)subsection (1) applies, or(b)the unexecuted agreement was sent to the debtor or hirer for his signature and, on the occasion of his signing it, the document became an executed agreement.(a)subsection (1) applies, or(b)the unexecuted agreement was sent to the debtor or hirer for his signature and, on the occasion of his signing it, the document became an executed agreement.(a)subsection (1) applies, or(b)the unexecuted agreement was sent to the debtor or hirer for his signature and, on the occasion of his signing it, the document became an executed agreement.

(3) In the case of a cancellable agreement, a copy under subsection (2) must be sent by post.

(4) In the case of a credit-token agreement, a copy under subsection (2) need not be given within the seven days following the making of the agreement if it is given before or at the time when the credit-token is given to the debtor.

(5) A regulated agreement is not properly executed if the requirements of this section are not observed.

PLEASE HELP GUYS!!!!!!!! GETTING WORRIED I FEEL AS IF I'M ON A LOSER????

I think that the default notice is invalid

they should give you 14 days plus postal time to clear the arrears. They gave less than 14.

They then terminated the agreement, meaning that they can only claim the arrears - more for the set aside if you needed it.

The cancellation form says that if you cancel within 5 days they cancel the course & agreement and you owe nothing

You did that

Your SAR confirms it

case closed (or it should be)

I think that is a revolving credit agreement. It might be enforceable but it was cancelled anyway so it doesn't matter

You have a clear case for the set-aside because of the cancellation

You have a clear defence for their original action (the set-aside just takes it back to the beginning) - the cancellation

You will have a case for libel because of the default registered at the CRAs for credit that you never had

I think of all the advice on this thread, the OP should take this post and use all the points! This is the best post on this thread.

I don't think you need to argue anything about a valid agreement or an agreement containing terms etc, - it's more that YOU cancelled it and THEY have failed to act on that! Then go for costs for your wasted time :D

Rep for Grumpy from me :)

Hi Rob

Can you clear up one more thing for me

Is the cancellation letter that you posted here the one from your SAR?

Did you also send them another copy of it at a later date?

Is there anything that shows when the cancellation was received by them & whether the one received in your sar is the original or the copy?

Is there a set of computer screen printouts or a list showing when letters / documents were sent & received? Does that list the cancellation?

OP don't look at this from the wrong angle.

Because you served on them a cancellation IN TIME and they had received said cancellation (which you can prove as it was in the SAR), that's all you need to focus on.

Default notices etc at the moment aren't relevant because they shouldn't have sent them in the first place! You cancelled, they mucked up. simples :D

Hi Guys,

The cancellation copy was sent to me in my subject access request. However they could say to the judge that the cancellation letter was received by mr x when he sent us a copy later on, and we dont have the original?? It will be my word against them, through the subject access request there was no mention of the cancellation stipulated anywhere just a copy of it???

I did send their solicitors a letter asking for the judgment to be set aside and they stated back that that they are happy that everything is in order and that they will pursue enforcement on the ccj.

I feel that the judge will think I'm lying as the cancellation form cannot be proved, and that my change of address cannot be proved, WHAT THE HELL CAN I DO or am i still within a chance. I sent them loads of letters and never pursued the course i cant understand why they are being so pathetic about it????

more advice please?

They will still have the originals

They won't try claiming not to have that now - unless they are prepared to commit perjury

I am surprised that they didn't send a copy of a log containing entries like

03/06/08 credit agreement sent

06/06/08 cancellation received

consider sending my letter to ousba inviting them to sort everthing out for you

Try sending a copy to their solicitors too

thanks grumpy2,

the problem is it is passed that stage now and i need a defence in order to set aside the judgement, please can you guys help me compile a defence!!!!!

my thoughts are:

1. I cancelled the course the day after (but can only prove this come out in my subject access request???)

2. I changed my address with you over the phone and it was acknowledged(cant prove this)

3. The agreement is enforceable (so i have been told)????

It looks like I have no chance my word against them???

please advise

You need an argument for the set-aside, not a defense (same sort of content though, but you are making the points)

They have sent you a copy of the cancellation notice that they have in their records so it should be fairly open and shut.

Rather than starting the set-aside yourself, why not send the letter that I suggested with a copy to their solicitors, suggesting that they do the set-aside for you because they have screwed up.

Hi everyone, Sorry to interupt, I'm very new to forums, would you mind giving me some advice and help? Sorry if its long winded!

Could you tell me if you think I have a case to get the CCJ set aside?

Can you tell me step by step what to do, cos I don't even have a letter or doccument about the CCJ. I just panicked when I seen it on my report and phoned Northhampton court who informed me it was South west water. I made payment instantly, thinking I was doing the right thing!

Sep 2008 applied for a morgage and was refused

Checked my report to find I had a CCJ from South West Water. I was horrified and stunned.

Dec 2006, I moved house but had been receiving water bills addressed to me at my new address, which I was paying consistently ( so y would I for nearly 2 years think, they did'nt have my new address!! I still have the bills, I also paid on line through south west water payment online.

When I phoned South West Water, I tried to challenge them as I had been receiving water bills in my name. They remained adament that I had never informed them of my change of address but I must have or I would have had bills addressed to the occupier. Furthermore, they persuaded me to pay the CCJ of £100, and told me that it would not have an adverse affect as long as it was satisfied. So believing what they said I paid the £100, however it is recorded on my credit report as £342, which I'm very confused about. I have the letter of satisfaction, but no receipts or proof of the different amounts.

I never ever recieved any summons or had the chance to appeal, also I don't believe I owe them as I was consistently paying for two years. Therefore, I would have accrued more debt if they didn't know where I was.

Furthermore, I have worked hard the last year and a half to improve my credit rating. It is now at a score of 733 which is fair. However, again a year later with a better credit rating I still cannot obtain a mortgage :Cry:

I would welcome any advice on how I can challenge this CCJ and get it removed as it is causing me so much stress and upset. For the last two years I have had so many knock backs with trying to get a mortgage and I'm in the best financial position I've ever been!

I can evidence my tenancy agreement and the date I moved to new address, the bills sent to my new address in my name, and how much I paid by bank statements, and the consistency of my payments to South West Water.

You need an argument for the set-aside, not a defense (same sort of content though, but you are making the points)

They have sent you a copy of the cancellation notice that they have in their records so it should be fairly open and shut.

Rather than starting the set-aside yourself, why not send the letter that I suggested with a copy to their solicitors, suggesting that they do the set-aside for you because they have screwed up.

Agreed you can set aside by consent, but they won't go for that. (Why should they - they already have Judgment)

In order to set aside you need to satisfy the criteria in CPR - one of which is that you have a realistic prospect of successfully defending and should be allowed to defend it. You can't show you can defend if you don't submit a defence with the Application to set aside, then? :confused: