ACS:Law copyright file sharing claims, Gallant Macmillan - and probably some others along the way...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4950 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am another to have received a letter from ACS: LAW, stating I've downloaded the (imagine very rude swear words) Scooter album & have since sent off my first LOD today, via signed for mail.

This site has been very helpful & wanted to say thankyou to everyone quickly, most of all to the site authors of "beingthreatened" to whom most of us will agree deserve it!

I (as I guess most of us were) was shocked to say the least, when I opened & read it. esp with it being such a offical looking document.

But have now found myself much calmer after google search & now seeing everyones posts!

With the thread now 32 pages long, it's clear how much of issue this really is.

You can be assured, I'll be keeping tabs on brainstorms, views & updates from other consumeractiongroup members!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

:)

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am another to have received a letter from ACS: LAW, stating I've downloaded the (imagine very rude swear words) Scooter album & have since sent off my first LOD today, via signed for mail.

This site has been very helpful & wanted to say thankyou to everyone quickly, most of all to the site authors of "beingthreatened" to whom most of us will agree deserve it!

I (as I guess most of us were) was shocked to say the least, when I opened & read it. esp with it being such a offical looking document.

But have now found myself much calmer after google search & now seeing everyones posts!

You can be assured, I'll be keeping tabs on brainstorms, views & updates from other consumeractiongroup members!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Do we take it that youre not a fan of the lovely Scooter boys ? :)

this has been posted by the NewsBot on the forum

all affected should read it and contact WHICH Magazine

More innocent consumers accused of file sharing - Which? News

"But the Internet Service Providers Association has admitted that ISPs aren’t convinced that the right people are identified during this process."

Something we all suspected anyway,not only can Logistep get it wrong, it occurs to me that even the data held by ISP's may be incorrect as most dont use Static IP's and this would mean that they would have to hold data about every IP adress issued to every user over the last 18 months, its not even in their interest to provide the correct information, as they are forced into the position by a court order.

Andy

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

I have had one too ( BT ) and you have said exactly what I would have said except I havent downloaded it as I own the CD !

LOD on the way though.

BTW - Whats the loop whole they are using to get the ip data from the ISP in the first place and why does the data protection act not cover it ?

Terran

ACS:Law Dont Accept Photos But I Unfortuntly Admit To Owning The CD :|

recived email from my isp ,sky, they tell me that about a year ago Davenport and lyons had informed them that some of their customers had been downloading .sky say all the did at this stage was to send out letters to these customers explaining what had happened,yet i recived no letter,from sky they say that D&L was bought over by acs law this year ,do not know if this is true,it was then and only when acs law got the court order did they give any details out.now the water starts to get muddy,if D&L made the snowballs and ACS law are now throwing them who is be blame, anyone heard anything like this.

hi haggishunter,

following on from earlier your idea re. why not all employ same solicitor to defend/fight on behalf of all, is great idea and i for one am certainly up for

it, but how do we set the ball rolling. I thought, and hope, that maybe the "administrators" of this site could help. Car. is this possible? I originally thought that the title of this site meant exactly that. Anyway correct me if I'm wrong but please advise a way to get organized. Thanks to all contributers to the site as it does alleviate some of the stress that these letters are causing.

"Unity is strength"

D:-o

This is the Consumer Action Group, not the Group Litigation Group ;)

We are a "self-help" site, so we offer tools to allow you to fight your individual battle, by sharing experience of other members and those who have been through the process before you.

I'm PM'ing you, D...

using the same lawyer idea

we now need to get sorted and organised if we are to get moving we need someone to unite behind and take it forward

ive searched a lawyers firm who was going to represent a woman

any chance you can pm me about the firms name pls? although that stage have not come yet but one should be prepared for that cheers

Hi all,,just recieved a letter from acs:law yesterday for £500 for scooter,i have been reading this thread with interest and it looks like i am not the only one,,wife is going mental about this.

Basically,,do i just do nothing and hope it goes away or do i contact c.a.b. and see where we go from here.

I am adamant that they will not be getting a penny from me.

Any advice would be good please.

Many Thanks

My LOD was delivered today, but according to the royal mail website, was redirected, but doesn't say where to?

Seems a bit strange that a letter sent out to me only a few days ago, with their full address on it, is getting forwarded to else where? why do the letters not have the other company's new address on them? bit dodgy no?

Should I expect a carbon copy of the first letter to arrive very soon? trying to justfy their blatant speculative invoicing (of which they won't be getting a penny!)

To be honest, the whole thing is ridiculous!

:mad:

My LOD was delivered today, but according to the royal mail website, was redirected, but doesn't say where to?

It would seem that they are not keen on several thousand people banging on their door.

David

With the greatest respect to everyone on this thread....instead of posting/debating the in's & out's of all this and constantly saying things like "i got my my letter this morning" - can we all just join forces & start fighting back once and for all?

This needs to be faught from the very top with every authority we can think of involved.

A variable ip address is still your ip address no matter what. Your ISP will have records of all your ip addresses and times, dates and details of the traffic passing through their servers P2P is getting more and more risky, what has killed it is not just downloading for own pleasure but greedy people and criminal gangs doing DVD`S etc.... we have all seen them on the car boot sales. The can also identify the pc the downloads went to via the download path which your pc will tell your ISP`S server ie ians documents/video usually along with your pc `s name or number. You can get away with it on Mobile broadband by the way.... you dont even have to register with O2 just pick up a prepay card and use that, who would care what name was on it , the only ident O2 would have is the triangulation system that tells them where a mobile device is at any one time (if its on and connected to the network) That is my understanding anyway and I am bound to be corrected. :p

A variable ip address is still your ip address no matter what. Your ISP will have records of all your ip addresses and times, dates and details of the traffic passing through their servers P2P is getting more and more risky, what has killed it is not just downloading for own pleasure but greedy people and criminal gangs doing DVD`S etc.... we have all seen them on the car boot sales. The can also identify the pc the downloads went to via the download path which your pc will tell your ISP`S server ie ians documents/video usually along with your pc `s name or number. You can get away with it on Mobile broadband by the way.... you dont even have to register with O2 just pick up a prepay card and use that, who would care what name was on it , the only ident O2 would have is the triangulation system that tells them where a mobile device is at any one time (if its on and connected to the network) That is my understanding anyway and I am bound to be corrected. :p

Very true....A point I made though is how do we know that the data the ISP has is correct ?. I wonder why they actually keep this data, are they under a legal obligation ?

On another point I was using my lappy in a weatherspoon pub the other day on their free wifi and it amused me to think..what would happen if ACS wrote to them ?...Which of the many thousands of drinkers would be hauled to court !...ha..

Andy

Not quite true - depending on your setup that may only give you the local IP - ie. the IP assigned by your router (if you have one).

Try What's My IP Address? Your IP is

Yep your right, thinking about it thats only going to give you the local IP from your routers DHCP table. Far better to logon to the router config and see what the IP address the ISP has given you or to use remote software to see it as you've given above.

rep added.

S.

Yep your right, thinking about it thats only going to give you the local IP from your routers DHCP table. Far better to logon to the router config and see what the IP address the ISP has given you or to use remote software to see it as you've given above.

rep added.

S.

Thank you very much, the_shadow!

On the question of anonymous IP, as been previously mentioned, SIM based PAYG is pretty good. The only downside is it is far slower than copper or cable and is capped. It is getting faster all the time though.

I seem to remember, many years ago, there was an attempt to make it a requirement to provide ID when purchasing a PAYG mobile. I wonder if our lords and masters will try the same thing with mobile broadband....

Howdy, can you tell me how to do this?

That would work for prying eyes, but if any enforcement agency were to get hold of the disk that wouldn't be enough. "Deleting" files merely marks the space they occupy as free, the data remains and can easily be recovered (unless it is heavily and completely overwritten). It is possible to zero fill the space, but that is not necessarily for novices.

Another point to bare in mind - if you use Googles personalised service, iGoogle (and others) your web history may also be stored on their servers....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4950 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks