• Tweets

• 25/05/2024? That the deadline or the date of the claimform?
    • Banks have different limits above which they require Probate. So it may be Probate is not needed, although as he died with no Will that could complicate things. Is all the £28k with Virgin Money? Your wife should contact all banks who hold his money with the death certificate and ask them what they need to release the funds to her. Most banks have a central "bereavement department". Check their websites. Use that department rather than general call centre or bank branch if they have one. Nearly every bank website has a section on "what to do when a customer dies" so have a search for that. Your wife may also have to provide evidence that she is his daughter. When his wife died it sounds like they had a joint bank account so that's why her money just went across to him. But as it isn't a joint account now transfer to your wife won't be quite that simple.  
    • That explains it then. MET's fantasy is that it's a pay car park.  You're only let off paying if you are a Starbucks customer which you can't be when Starbucks is closed.  'Cos otherwise lots of people would abuse the car park facilities on the far edge of the Stansted Airport area in the middle of nowhere to ... admire the bushes?  Look at the cloudy sky? The important thing is that we have around 140 cases for this site, and MET have only tried court seven times.  Even then, they had no intention of getting as far as a hearing, they were attempting to intimidate the motorists into paying, when the Caggers defended the cases MET discontinued.
    • She's an only child and he as a brother and sister. He has no will and we have done a check on this to find out if he had left one and nothing has come up. He has savings of around 28k His sister and brother are well off so 28k is nothing to them and aren't interested in his money. This just leaves my wife/his daughter. Would this still need to go to probate there is no estate e.g house or business to sell and the amount left in his bank is just small? When his wife died they just closed her bank account and moved her money across to his account and we just assumed that once my wife has handed in the death certificate and shown evidence of who she is the same would apply to her? We don't know yet the council have only just written to us today with a guide of what to do next.  
    • Did your FiL leave a Will and if so who is the Executor? Strictly speaking banks could refuse to take instructions until Probate is granted but In practice I would expect the bank to take instructions to cancel the DD if the Executor presents the death certificate and a certified copy of the Will
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Back in 2007 I received several summons for council tax for years when I rented my flat. I was not able to attend the Court but wrote explaining that altough I was the owner, I was not responsible and had only just received a summons. My statement was ignored and a liability order was issued. I then paid £1,000 while not admitting liabiliity on account while they sorted it all out. The liability order was around £1,500.

Then I paid a further £600 on account, again not admitting liability and attended a court hearing in 2008 with regards to other years, again when it had been tenanted, when the council asked for an adjournment and then later withdrew the proceedings.

I have been getting letters for the past couple of months from bailiffs and have written to explain that various sums have been paid. The problem appears to be that the council have not credited any of the payments in respect of the liability order but for later years when it was also tenanted.

Do I have to go back to Court to prove that payments have been made? And how do I go about this?

The baliffs are now threatening to attend with the police to remove goods and i just don't know what to do.

I have it in writing. They wrote to say that they attended today to remove goods and that they will be calling back in the next 48 hours with the police if necessary. They have not had access. Who di i report them to? Many thanks.

They are just trying to intimidate you, a typical bailiff approach!

They have no legal right to enter your property unless they have been allowed in previously to do a walk in possession.

You can do something called a form 4 complaint, also write to the Council immediately demanding an explanation to why the Bailiffs have been instructed to harass you when you have clearly paid the debt!

Remember a Bailiff has no right of entry to your property, so any threats of bringing the police or a locksmith etc etc are completely out of their powers and they can get in serious trouble for saying such things! If they come round keep the doors and windows locked and just ignore them until they go away.

Also watch for any charges they may try to thieve off you, the max they can charge for unpaid council tax is £43, though they always try to get away with [causing problems] at least 10x's this amount out of you!

Devon and Cornwall police guidelines for police and bailiffs alike (Home office guide lines issued to all Forces)

there is a sticky in the bailiffs section on this i think this is the part you need

8.0 APPENDIX B – BAILIFF RULES: GAINING ENTRY TO PREMISES

8.1 The actions of a bailiff lawfully entering a premises and seizing and selling goods to

cover monies owed by the debtor, including the bailiff’s fees, is called ‘levying

distress’. The term ‘distress’ used on its own generally means the procedure for

bailiffs just to ‘seize’ goods; this may not necessarily involve removing and selling

the goods.

NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED

11/06/08 6 Force Publication Scheme

8.2 The basic rule for Bailiffs is that entry should be without force, thus they have the

right to peaceful entry only. There is no legal requirement by a debtor to let a bailiff

into their home.

8.3 To gain peaceful entry, the bailiff can walk through an open door, open an unlocked

door, climb through an open window, and even climb over a wall or fence, provided

no damage is caused in so doing.

8.4 The bailiff cannot, however, break open a closed but unfastened window or door,

open a closed latched window, or use a locksmith to open a door. Use of a

landlord's key is also illegal. They cannot force their way past someone at a door,

or wedge their foot in a doorway to prevent the door being closed. The protection

against forced entry extends to all buildings physically attached to the living

premises.

8.5 Reasonable Force may be used to gain entry in these circumstances only:

a. A bailiff is executing a magistrates distress warrant for non-payment of fines.

b. A bailiff has once previously entered a debtor’s home peacefully, or was

forcibly ejected by the occupier after gaining lawful entry, and is returning to

levy the goods.

i would send a subject access request to the council this will cost you £10 and ask them to put this in dispute until the S.A.R is received and scrutinised by your solicitor

i would also write a letter of complaint about the bailiff threatening to use the police include a photo copy of the bailiffs letter remind the council that the bailiff is acting as there agent therefore they are responsible for the bailiffs actions also as there is no levy they have no right to enter your home with or without the police

Many thanks for your advice. Do you know if there is any way to reverse a liability order? Who do i write to complain?

First and foremost find out which liability order has been satisfied, I have a sneaky feeling that out of the £1600 you paid some of this may have been paid to the bailiff for their fees, leaving you with a deficit on that very liability order.

It seems very naughty but the council pay the bailiffs their fees first, so if you owed £1500 and there was £ 300 bailiff fees then there may be another £200 on that liability order then the bailiff comes back and another fee is added.

Firstly send the council an SAR, or FOI, an SAR is £10 a FOI is at the councils descretion. But find out what the bailiff fees were and if/when they were paid

cas