Council Tax court action??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5494 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can the council take you to court if you owe money in the current financial year?

We have missed the first payment of this year, £96, just cant afford it.

We had trouble last year with c tax, but towards the end of the year we were paying X amount a week to clear the arrears, which did before the end of March 2009.

My partner is planning on calling them over next few days as we will have another £96 added on tomorrow, again no chance of paying any of it for a few weeks. As the reminder stated 7 days to pay otherwise they would proceed??

Thanks

Do speak to them and organise a payment plan, they do threaten court, but i'd say this action so soon is very premature, but then again councils are getting very tough in some areas on collection of council tax.

I do think it is standard what is wrote on their reminders. But i did think that was a little premature, didnt have that problem in Jan when we were 4 months behind.

I will email them or get my partner to speak to them, i don't like talking to them.

We were paying £80 every week for some time before the end of March, i think we just needed a break from paying so much out, it was so hard. But i can see it mounting up again if we arent careful.

My partner is unwell he has a dark patch in his lung and is suffering with some pain, his job is mainly physical so he has hardly been working. I have been off work for a month with depression for an array of reasons. I went BR in Jan, i feel like i still have money worries, especially now with the Ctax increasing already.

It is just never ending!

We had the same problem last year, if I were you, I'd make a small payment, of maybe £10, to show that you are willing to pay, and give them a ring and advise them that you will be bringing your account up to date with the monthly payments on a date that you know you'll be able to afford to.

If I have been helpful in any way, please tip my scales :lol:

Hi Gemini,

We had a problem earlier in the year where we had missed the very last of our £170 monthly payments from last years council tax and were therefore one month owing and one month had passed since we should have paid. We were issued with court papers and fortunately had enough money at that point to pay the arrears and the court costs too of course of about £50.

It would definitely be in your favour to contact them and arrange a payment plan as 42man and deathbycrayons say, just so you keep them in the loop, so to speak.

I think it must depend on different councils how quickly they react by taking you to court, although 42man is quite possibly right in saying they are all cracking down:eek:

Regards,

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

i have emailed them asking for the possibility of paying 3 months via direct debit mid June, we will then be up to date. They have allowed this before. I have stated if we can pay any before then, then obviously we will.

Not heard from them yet! Fingers crossed.