style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5501 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone I would very grateful if you could help me out with some advise on how to best hand this situation,

This is in relation to Unpaid business rates, got home last night to find a letter from a Equtias bailiffs demanding full payment in 24hrs, according to the letter it has to be full payment and no arrangement can be entered into

1) Can they demand full payment?

2) Am i entitled to make offer of monthly payment?

3) Can they refuse to accept my offer?

4) What would be my first step?

Thank you in advance

1)Can they demand full payment?

Yes

2)Am i entitled to make offer of monthly payment?

Yes

3)Can they refuse to accept my offer?

Yes

4)What would be my first step?

Depends on what kind of business you are in, and whether you can afford to pay them or not.

You may be able to reach an agreement with the Corporate Debt Manager/Senior Enforcement Officer at the Council and it's always worth a try.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Depends on what kind of business you are in, and whether you can afford to pay them or not.

You may be able to reach an agreement with the Corporate Debt Manager/Senior Enforcement Officer at the Council and it's always worth a try.

I cant pay the full amount out right but could pay monthly.

Why does it depend on the type of company?

If you are open to the public they can just walk in and seize stuff.

If you are not, then it gives you more time to get it paid off.

Bailiffs don't get permission to boot the door in unless you've shown you're trying to avoid paying the tax, or you've let them in before.

I am also in the same boat as Felixx and I got the same letter from Equita asking for £1800.06 for last year's Business Rates in 24 hours. I have had no previous letters from Equita at all and even the council have not written to me since middle of last year.

The property for the Business was on lease and I was paying rent. I never managed to open the Business and the shop was closed for the full period. It was never open for even 1 day. Last year in July I just gave the keys back and made a loss and moved on.

I am willing to pay the Business Rates but not in full but on a monthly basis. How can I resolve this. I fear if I go back to the council they will probably say its too late and the debt is is with the Bailiffs. Its nothing that they can do.