• Tweets

• sorry but that letter needs to be much much better. you need to express that it was a stilly youthful mistake trying to be the big man and jumping the turnstile to look big infront of your peers. TfL prosecutors are on the email address on their first letter. get the court form sent back to the court , (but copy it first) stating you plead guilty and wish to attend to address the judge in person face to face to show your genuine remorse for your stupid youthful exuberance.      
    • I thought I should send the begging letter to the prosecutor. Does the hearing means the time I need to send back by? If so, it’s June 5  I plan to send the new begging letter as following, can I ask for some suggestions? Dear Investigator/Prosecutor,  Thank you for your reply. I deeply regret my actions and the inconvenience they have caused.  I’m extremely remorseful for my crime. and regret it everyday. I often ask myself ‘’how can I do that thing just because I felt it is interesting. There are a lot of crimes in the world, but feeling it’s interesting is certainly not a reason to crime. I should not crime with any reason.’’ I think about these things every day, and I understand that I can’t blame anyone but myself.  I thanks to the staff who stopped me, as this is a valuable lesson in my life. I told myself that I should never ever repeat such a thing again, and never ever do anything which is possible to be in breach of any law. As a result, I carefully tap my oyster card every time before I enter the station now. I remind myself that I did a wrong thing before, and I should never let it happen again.  Although my monthly travel expenses do not warrant a season ticket, but I just renew my season ticket (please see the attachment). I understand that a crime cannot be truly compensated for, but purchasing a season ticket offers me a small measure of comfort, knowing that my actions caused a loss to the public interest.  I received an email which ask me to negotiate being class teacher in this summer (please see the attachment). I hope that I could teach the lovely students again, which may not be allowed with a criminal record. I would please ask that you would please provide me a single opportunity to settle all outstanding sums owed outside of court without the need for legal proceedings which would have a determinantal impact on my teaching career.  I sincerely apologise again for my crime. If you need anything further from me to help you please let me know.   Yours sincerely,
    • LoL Dx you crack me up. Thanks for the advice. I'll stay positive.
    • Utter Rubbish!! lowell dont write and beg for deals once they start court. as for your attitude, we'll thats nothing new for you.😎 you wont be quizzed, it's not like TV, simply refer to your defence/WS when answering anything the judge may ever ask. well it involves chickens. dx  
    • Thanks fk, I hope I don't have to face the court. Bless you for the reassurance. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

CCJ Received for a Statute Barred debt!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3036 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recently been receiving letters from Cabot re a debt from 1999!

They puchased the debt some 6 years later and because they heard nothing from me they have slapped a CCJ on my old house and are now chasing the debt once again.

This debt is clearly Statute Barred as their dates they say in their letter confirm this, however, they obviously think I do not know this is SB!

Can they purchase a debt which is SB and then put a CCJ on my property? Can I get this removed without having to pay the £75 set aside fee seeing as they have done this and shouldnt have?

Thanks

You should alsop complain to the OFt and also under CPUT

You should alsop complain to the OFt and also under CPUT

I think I will do just that :D

Would you have the relevant addresses please so that I can deal with this? I don't really want to be paying £75 for this when they shouldnt have placed a CCJ on my property in the first place!

They can....but you would get it easily set aside.....one cagger I know of recently did this ( bobneedhelp) I think it was... - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dca-legal-successes/156502-registered-county-court-judgement.html

Thank you.

I will read through this mammoth thread :D and go from there.

I know that this CCJ relates to about 3 debts they have purchased and combined together so I need to first off write an find out dates, balance etc and see what I can do thanks again

I have put together this letter which I would like to send them today, can someone give me some advice as to whether I have missed anything out or if I need to delete certain wording, thanks

Thank you for your letter dated 8th April 2009 with regard to the above.

You state in your letter that this CCJ for £XXX is a number of combined debts being chased by Cabot and I would be grateful therefore if you could please provide me with the following information:

1. Who the original creditor is of each debt.

2. When the account was opened.

3. When the account defaulted.

4. What was the original balance on the defaulted account.

5. When was the last payment made to this account.

I look forwar to hearing from you.

They don't have to and probably won't provide this information as they don't have to, as they already have judgment on this....you should get your court fee back as your costs....

Can you give me an idiots guide as to what I should do please? Also how would I go about claiming back my costs if these debts are SB? Or can I claim the cost back regardless?

The starting point is to clarify exactly what's happened.

Before they got a CCJ they must have first issued a County Court Summons - did you receive that. If so when was it received. It's a bit unusual to bring one claim for three debts.

The starting point is to get a copy of the original summons - you can get a copy from the court. Once you've got that you need to make an application on an N244 to set the judgment aside. Ideally it would help if you could post the summons (suitably redacted) on here and then we'll help draft the set aside application

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

The starting point is to clarify exactly what's happened.

Before they got a CCJ they must have first issued a County Court Summons - did you receive that. If so when was it received. It's a bit unusual to bring one claim for three debts.

The starting point is to get a copy of the original summons - you can get a copy from the court. Once you've got that you need to make an application on an N244 to set the judgment aside. Ideally it would help if you could post the summons (suitably redacted) on here and then we'll help draft the set aside application

I am not 100% sure but I think this has been slapped on me after I had moved house so would have never received the paperwork.

Their letter says that this CCJ is part of a couple of debts they are chasing, however, they do not state for how many.

I have sent a fax to the Court today asking for the paperwork so will see what that brings back.

I suspect that they've actually only got a CCJ in respect of one debt

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

I suspect that they've actually only got a CCJ in respect of one debt

well their letter says they have more than one debt pertaining to this CCJ but I guess they perhaps assume that I will NOT ask the question and just cough up mmm I THINK NOT!

Hi Loobyloo

Has it been 6yrs since you last acknowledged this debt (ie any payments or written correspondance from you)? Because I believe this is the key point, the debt may originate from more than 6yrs ago but it will only be statute barred if you haven't acknowledged it in the last 6 years. If that is the case you should be laughing!!!

Hi Loobyloo

Has it been 6yrs since you last acknowledged this debt (ie any payments or written correspondance from you)? Because I believe this is the key point, the debt may originate from more than 6yrs ago but it will only be statute barred if you haven't acknowledged it in the last 6 years. If that is the case you should be laughing!!!

One of the debts in question is DEFINITELY over 6 years, opened 98, defaulted 2002 and purchased in 2004 so yep certainly is and apparently this forms part of the CCJ.

I have written to the Courts today asking for the info, I have also written to Cabot to find out what they hold re this CCJ.

You say the debt would be SB after the 6 year rule which I am aware of, however, I am not sure this is the case when there is a CCJ in place? I assume that I would need to get the CCJ set aside and then let Cabot know that the debt is SB or do I tell Cabot first the debt is SB and they are the ones that need to remove it?

If I had to fork out the £75 which I don't really want to do to get the CCJ set aside, how would I go about claiming the costs back from Cabot?

From what I understand they cannot get the CCJ if the loan was statute barred at the point they applied for it, however if they got the CCJ before the loan was classed as SB then the CCJ would still be valid. Below is a quote from an independant website that explains it. If you can show that the loan was SB at the point that the CCJ was granted then I would imagine it would be fairly easy to get it set aside. If they have lumped several debts together and only one of them is SB you should still have a case for getting the CCJ set aside but I would expect them to reapply for a new CCJ for any of the debts that isn't SB (but this gives you the chance to defendent if they cannot produce a valid credit agreement etc). With regards to reclaiming the fees you need to make it clear to the judge that you wish to claim costs if you win, but I'm not sure at what point you should state this, hopefully someone will come along soon who can give you guidance on that. You can also claim for your time to research and defend at a set rate which is around £9/hr (sorry cannot remember the exact amount).

You can argue that the creditor is out of time or “statute barred” from taking you to court for this debt:

if

• The creditor has not already obtained a judgment against you

and

• You, or any one else owing the money (on a debt in joint names) have not made a payment on the debt during the last six years

and

• You have not written to the creditor admitting you owe the debt during the last six years.

Thanks for the info, that was what I was hoping for.

I have written to CrapBot asking for the relevant information and if they do not come back to me then I guess I will just have to SAR the OC and see what they come back with.

I feel this is going to be a long slow drawn out process!

• 2 weeks later...

I have today received my letter confirming the dates the last payments were made on these accounts which have given me the CCJ.

The dates of the last payments are March 02, April 02, July 99, April 02.

These are all Statute Barred debts, however, the CCJ was put on my property in August 2006, therefore these debts are NOT SB - am I right?

The only one I can see that is SB is the July as that one is 6 years and 11 months since last payment.

Is there a way I can get them all removed and state that they are SB debts and go from there?

I have today received my letter confirming the dates the last payments were made on these accounts which have given me the CCJ.

The dates of the last payments are March 02, April 02, July 99, April 02.

These are all Statute Barred debts, however, the CCJ was put on my property in August 2006, therefore these debts are NOT SB - am I right?

The only one I can see that is SB is the July as that one is 6 years and 11 months since last payment.

Is there a way I can get them all removed and state that they are SB debts and go from there?

Yes - if they bring a claim within six years then that avoids the operation of the limitation act - as cookie explains if any of the debts were SB at the date they issued the summons then it may well be worth applying to set the judgment aside - in terms of LIP costs you can claim actual losses and/or £9.25 per hour but you'd claim for everything you do - there is a really helpful case that I keep meaning to post on that...

Yes - if they bring a claim within six years then that avoids the operation of the limitation act - as cookie explains if any of the debts were SB at the date they issued the summons then it may well be worth applying to set the judgment aside - in terms of LIP costs you can claim actual losses and/or £9.25 per hour but you'd claim for everything you do - there is a really helpful case that I keep meaning to post on that...

Would you mind posting it up please as I need all the help I can get with this!

What is my first course of action - is it to apply to have the CCJ set aside?

Would you mind posting it up please as I need all the help I can get with this!

What is my first course of action - is it to apply to have the CCJ set aside?

Yes - the first job is the set aside - you need to record all the time that you spend.

I'll find the case on LIP costs and post it in the next day or so

• 6 years later...