• Tweets

• No. The defence is different. Their defence paragraph 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 – for the first time makes reference to an alleged term between the Packlink/EVRi contract which apparently specifically excludes the effect of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999. If this is true then it is very likely that they will have closed that loophole because the 1999 act specifically allows itself to be excluded by an express term within the principal contract I think that you will have to do ask the court to require them to provide evidence by way of presenting their contract and also the date that this new amendment was inserted. I understand that your claim refers to an item which was lost a year or so ago. These give us the date. We would certainly want to know that this amendment predates the date when you first contracted with Packlink to send the item. I would want to say to the court that in the absence of their willingness to confirm with evidence the date that this contractual amendment was made, that the court should assume that this was a recent amendment and was therefore not in force at the time you made your contract. We have third-party defences on this sub- forum which are fairly recent and there has been no mention of this exclusion of the 1999 act. I think we can take it that this is something that they have put together very recently. Secondly, even if they want to exclude your third party rights, it does not absolve them from the negligent handling of your item and in respect of an action for negligence you have first party rights. You don't have to rely on third party rights – although of course, you didn't allege negligence in your original claim. We didn't advise you to do so. Maybe shortsightedly we didn't foresee this contractual amendment. Of course assuming that this contractual amendment is true – although I expect it has only been added recently – what they are saying here is that nobody in the United Kingdom who makes any contract with any parcel delivery company using Packlink will have the right to bring a claim for lost or damaged or even stolen parcels. These people have lost their moral compass. It is shabby treatment of ordinary customers who pay their money and who repose their trust in these parcel delivery companies. No wonder that the Paralegal Children are now ashamed to sign off these documents with their own names. In terms of parcel tracking information – apparently it has been destroyed according to their own data protection policy. That's their business. It's got nothing to do with you and they can't use this to frustrate the six year limitation for bring a breach of contract action or the three-year limitation period for bringing an action in negligence or other tort. There reference once again to the exclusion of the 1999 Act but this time apparently in the contract between you and Packlink – is irrelevant because the exclusion has to be in the commercial contract between Packlink and EVRi – which they have referred to in their paragraph 2.7 et cetera of their defence. I'm assuming that you propose to go ahead with this case. Please let us know when you respond and we will go forward. In the meantime, I suggest that you write a letter to EVRi. Referred to their paragraph 2.7 et cetera and asked them for a copy of the contract and confirmation of the date on which the exclusion of third party rights term was included in it. Tell EVRi that if they do not answer or if they refuse that this will be brought to the attention of the judge. Tell them also that you notice that they say that they have destroyed data in line with their data protection policy. Inform them that they do not appear to have disclosed this data protection policy to their customers. Please will they forward you a copy of it and once again if they failed to respond or if they refuse that you will bring this to the attention of the judge as well. I suggest that you post a draft of the letter here so we can have a look    
    • Good morning dx100UK Could I send the update to you privately? Regards
    • On the other thread you posted on, you asked about immigration issues. We aren't qualified to give that advice, sadly, you would need to find an authorised adviser. 'It is a criminal offence for a person to provide immigration advice or services in the UK unless their organisation is regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) or is otherwise covered by the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999. Members of certain professional bodies may give immigration advice without registering with OISC.' How to become a regulated immigration adviser - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK  
    • Hi. Can you show us the letter from the police please? Cover up your name and address. Our upload guide will help you. HB
    • Baidu's Qu Jing tells workers she does not care for them because, 'I am not your mum'.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5476 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

To cut a long story short, I succeeded in Equita sending an old council tax debt back to the council, only for them to send it to Newlyns!

The first I knew was when a Notice of Distress was posted through my door late February. They had added £181.50 to the outstanding debt (then it was £330 - I have paid the Council direct every month), and my neighbour's car reg was written - but it wasn't signed by the bailiff.

I contacted the Council to take back the debt (they declined, but I'm going to complain as they had me sending income & expenditure forms for nothing). However, the bailiff called me one day when I was out to tell me he was in my house and he had the right to enter as "the back door was unlocked". (It wasn't, and I knew he wasn't in my house as it's alarmed).

I wrote to the bailiff to ask for a breakdown of fees. They charged the statutory £24.50 & £18.50 for visits that never occurred, as well as a removal levy bringing their fees to £181.50! On top of that, they charged another £100+ when they told me they were in my house! They want me to pay £85 per month which includes their fees.

I'm going to continue paying the Council, but am I correct in thinking the fees are unenforceable if I don't pay them direct or let them in? And what about my neighbour's car - can they clamp it?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Happy Contrails

Entering a house doesn't incur a fee, the law only provides reasonable costs for transporting goods using a vehicle and selling them at auction. No goods moved then no fee. You have an easy Form 4 case.

If the bailiff clamps somebody elses car then the bailiffs (or his liability inusurer) can receive a claim from the owner for deprivation of its lawful use. Your neighbour also has an easy Form 4 case because bailiffs can only rely on Prima Facie to deterime whether his debtor owns the car.

The expression Prima Facie is latin and means At First Sight. A bailiff can consider in his opinion any property to belong to his debtor until information to the contrary is given.

Hi Vannie,

They can clamp your neighbours car - that is physically possible but they CANNOT levy on your neighbours car. It is outrageous that they come along and assume it belongs to you.

Oh I really wish that I lived next door to you! I hate bullying bailiffs.

I have received a bailiffs note, hand delivered this week, threatening the previous occupant that they will clamp the vehicle and remove goods open for anyone to read. I waited in all day with the dog on Thursday in order to provide a lesson in my new FREE course Good Bailiff Practise 101.

Today I have received 2 letters to the previous occupants where the window envelope clearly shows that it is from certificated bailiffs. They have gone, unopened, into the bin so they can look forward to lesson 2 when they appear.

I believe that the fees that they can charge are set out somewhere but they are obviously making 'pretend' visits. Often one of the things that they come back with is the colour of the front door. Now with Google Earth in certain areas, sadly including mine, they can check that from the office.

Regards

GK

Thanks for the replies.

Actually, my neighbour isn't even next door - she's across the road and 3 houses down, and the car was parked outside her own front door!

I've checked Google Earth, and my car wasn't parked outside my house when they came to take the photo. It was also taken when I had different curtains up, however,as a precaution I have moved my car far enough away, but within easy sight. Can I assume the bailiffs don't actually know my car reg?

i have had the same thing with newlyns

i had an outstanding bill for the council tax but paid the full amount to the council and put in writing to the council the over charged fees that newlyns was trying to collect. the council replied with a list from Newlyns.

newlyns listed

09/03/09 1st visit £24.50

12/03/09 2nd visit £18.00

18/03/09 Levy fee £48.00

18/03/09 visit with intent to remove fee £105.00

They listed a car on goods seized list that is not mine........

and when they put a hand delived letter though my door it was typed out and dated 17/03/09 but when the council wrote back it says they attended my house on the 18/03/09 !

i have no debt with the council now but still have the fees to pay to newlyns.

i have had no paperwork to say they attended on the 1st and 2nd visits

To top it off after the visit for the "so called list of seized goods" the next day a letter was posted with a FINAL NOTICE asking to pay just the first 2 visits!

i'm not sure what can be done about this but i am replying back to the council about the mix up of dates.

If i asked newlyns the times of the 1st and 2nd visit would they give a time..... because if they did give a time then if i had time recorded cctv then i could check the times

are they not tracked by gps? they should be able to give the time they attended

James,

Please see the reply from Happy Contrails above. If you did ask for the times they attended you KNOW they'll lie through their teeth!

I have no intention of paying their outrageous charges, and if I were you I'd ignore them as the debt has been paid to the council and not to them. I don't think they have a leg to stand on (well, they are slugs anyway!).

If i asked newlyns the times of the 1st and 2nd visit would they give a time.....Highly unlikely

because if they did give a time then if(?) i had time recorded cctv then i could check the times

are they not tracked by gps? Not usually

they should be able to give the time they attended

They should be able to give the time.

I don't believe that they actually attend and if they do they do not knock - unless they use a feather so that they can claim for the extra visits.

GK

i know the maston group use gps and asked the bailiff .... the reason i know this is because i had a warrant for no road tax and when i spoke to the bailiff it turned out to be a old friend! yep i can hear you all say

" you dont need mates like that" !!!!!!

but he didnt hound me and held off as long as poss even when his office was on his case......

Newlyns Again! On JSA. Getting council tax relief through council currently, but some arrears accrued up to the time of obtaining relief, plus daughter earns a small wage so she puts a small charge on our bill. Had nothing through from council or anyone. Then this week get a letter through the door, from Newlyns (they never knocked, was in all day). No previous communications, but a Notice of Distress For council tax of £654.15 plus charges of £181.85. A vehicle registration number I do not recognise as an inventory of goods seized and distrained. Where it says signed by bailiff it looks like a cross, no real signature. What should I do, as this company have not made any effort to contact me regarding these fees at all. It is all lies. Previous experience with the council and this company is that they will not get involved at all. SO what can I do? How can I prove these fees are not legitimate to the council. ANy offer of payment will be coming out of JSA so will be minimal and I know Newlyns will not accept minimial payments. SHould I just make small payments direct to the council, and ignore Newlyns completely?

Newlyns Again! On JSA. Getting council tax relief through council currently, but some arrears accrued up to the time of obtaining relief, plus daughter earns a small wage so she puts a small charge on our bill. Had nothing through from council or anyone. Then this week get a letter through the door, from Newlyns (they never knocked, was in all day). No previous communications, but a Notice of Distress For council tax of £654.15 plus charges of £181.85. A vehicle registration number I do not recognise as an inventory of goods seized and distrained. Where it says signed by bailiff it looks like a cross, no real signature. What should I do, as this company have not made any effort to contact me regarding these fees at all. It is all lies. Previous experience with the council and this company is that they will not get involved at all. SO what can I do? How can I prove these fees are not legitimate to the council. ANy offer of payment will be coming out of JSA so will be minimal and I know Newlyns will not accept minimial payments. SHould I just make small payments direct to the council, and ignore Newlyns completely?

FOR a single visit, the bailiffs only have the right to charge £24.50 (I'm assuming they only visited you once). If they call a second time they can add on another £18 but nothing else (no matter how many times they come) if they have not gained access to your home.

Based on what you say, the bailiffs' charges are grossly inflated and, indeed, illegal. NEVER pay anything to a bailiff who has tried to defraud you. ONLY deal with the council. Make regular payments to the latter (no more than you can reasonably afford) and IGNORE the bailiffs. As long as you do not allow them into your home, they are POWERLESS.

I had the same problem with newlyn, i went from owning no cars to two in a week. After receiving good advice on cag, i challenged every illegal levy made. I even had threatening texts telling me to return home as the bailiff was waiting outside which he wasn't. I was at home at the time very ill & no one so much as knocked. Complain again & again to your council. I got so fed up with them that i wrote to them saying i was revoking their rights to collect the debt due to their company being unprofessional. I got an apology in a round about manner. If anyone knocks & you don't know who it is don't open the door.So long as they don't gain entry to your home they can't do much except waffle & huff n puff. This company caused me a great deal of stress & frightened my child, but once you know your rights & stand firm they will back down. Bullies always do.

Seems a common problem with Newlans and fake levi charges, I caught them out trying to charge me for a car they levied against, funny because I don't even own a car !

Now having problems as the council have paid the baliffs out of money that they owed me a as I had over paid CT heres the thread on that comments welcomed

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bailiffs-sheriff-officers/194087-can-council-do.html

I'm in the middle of doing battle with Newlyns and the local council right now. I had to send an SAR in order to get the detailed printout from Newlyns - and that does include the times.

They have charged me a van fee of £212 which I will not pay, especially as they are stating that as charged before any levy was applied - on my car. It is very clear what they are allowed to charge for and it is despicable that they ignore the rules. I had some great help at the time of my original complaint to the council in February - but then moved and thought it probably was sorted and dropped - silly me (though I was leaving my husband with my children - so that rather took priority!). Chased the council for their findings only to get a snotty letter detailing how my arrears (which I have not disputed) and ending with them considering the charges to be reasonable. My initial thought was to just pay it, but I will not - it's wrong and illegal - so taking the next step to sort this out - though that may result in my car being taken away which would make life incredibly difficult - but still!

Anyway - when I do finally get my issue resolved I will be doing what I can to help other people understand what is fair and what is not - pointing them here and making it very clear just where the information supporting it all is. Right now I want to track down the document that details the charges allowed so that I can bring that to the council's attention and also take with me to court when it comes to that.

Good luck - but be prepared for the council to not do the right thing, and for the bailiffs to be bullies - just my experience, I know, but sadly not uncommon.

I am seething. I assumed that the levy they put through the door was a registration that was made up, as never heard of it before but just seen the car parked on the main road outside a neighbours. Surely they have to do a DVLA/DVLC check before issuing something as important as this. They must have driven past and seen it parked outside on the main road taken details, but then walked up my drive past my daughters car (not working) on the drive and put that in the letter box. How on earth do they warrant this? Can I put a complaint in to the courts about this company for doing this and their charges? I intend to make payments direct to my local council via online payment method, then they cannot refuse to deal with the account or fob me off. I refuse to deal with these loan sharks, but I want to report this kind of criminiality. Any advice please!!!!!!!!!

Guest Happy Contrails

Kk1mmie, you have the right and have the grounds to make a complaint against the bailiff for charging unlawful fees. Phone the Ministry of Justice Public Register of Bailiffs on 020 3334 6355 and ask which court issued his certificate, then download an official complaint form http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/form4_0606.pdf and send the form to the certificating court enclosing the bailiffs document with your neighbours car registration and evidence of attempting to obtain unlawful fees.

You can make a criminal complaint to police, they might investigate or fob you off with excuses. Print a copy of Regulation 14(2) of the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 and show them the bailiffs receipt showing their fees. It helps printing out a copy of S2 of the Fraud Act 2006 incase the police say defrauding a vicitim is a civil matter.

Ditto for bay42

Kk1mmie, you have the right and have the grounds to make a complaint against the bailiff for charging unlawful fees. Phone the Ministry of Justice Public Register of Bailiffs on 020 3334 6355 and ask which court issued his certificate, then download an official complaint form http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/form4_0606.pdf and send the form to the certificating court enclosing the bailiffs document with your neighbours car registration and evidence of attempting to obtain unlawful fees.

You can make a criminal complaint to police, they might investigate or fob you off with excuses. Print a copy of Regulation 14(2) of the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 and show them the bailiffs receipt showing their fees. It helps printing out a copy of S2 of the Fraud Act 2006 incase the police say defrauding a vicitim is a civil matter.

Ditto for bay42

How do I get the bailiffs name? The signature is like a cross and there is no other name on the documents. I know if I cal them they will tell me they are unable to give me the name of the bailiff that called and then that means I am entering into conversation re: the account, which I do not want to do at this stage. But definately want to report them. Is there any other way of doing this if I can't find his name out?

Guest Happy Contrails

Do you have a mobile number for the bailiff? ring him and ask him his name - and promptly end the call.

He'll know what you are doing, but not till after you hang up, bailiffs can be slow in the brain department.

I see no reason why the bailiff company cannot tell you the name of the bailiff in charge. It looks like the firm is trying to conceal a fraud and harbour their bailiff from investigation. That is an offence called Assisting an Offender and is contrary to Section 4 of the Criminal Law Act 1967, so write down the name of the person you speak to at the bailiff firm. Another point to add to your list of complaints.

Do you have a mobile number for the bailiff? ring him and ask him his name - and promptly end the call.

He'll know what you are doing, but not till after you hang up, bailiffs can be slow in the brain department.

I see no reason why the bailiff company cannot tell you the name of the bailiff in charge. It looks like the firm is trying to conceal a fraud and harbour their bailiff from investigation. That is an offence called Assisting an Offender and is contrary to Section 4 of the Criminal Law Act 1967, so write down the name of the person you speak to at the bailiff firm. Another point to add to your list of complaints.

There is no mobile number on the paperwork and as mentioned, the signature is just a cross or squiggle. I have had problems before with them, but did not know of this wonderful thread and all my rights and they fleeced me for full charges. Now I know better! When I called before I asked them the name of the bailiff. I was told that they could not give me a name as they use many different bailiffs and it could take a while to get the job sheets back and do not know who it had been assigned to. So no nearer if I have to go down that route again. Even the letterhead paperwork has no signature, just printed CERTIFICATED BAILIFF

I thought I also read somewhere, please confirm if you know whether it's true or not, that a bailiff has to write to you first informing you that they are acting for their client, before they can visit you or levy?

Guest Happy Contrails
There is no mobile number on the paperwork and as mentioned, the signature is just a cross or squiggle. I have had problems before with them, but did not know of this wonderful thread and all my rights and they fleeced me for full charges. Now I know better!

Consider doing a SAR, you are entitled to all unlawful bailiffs fees you have paid in the last six years.

I thought I also read somewhere, please confirm if you know whether it's true or not, that a bailiff has to write to you first informing you that they are acting for their client, before they can visit you or levy?

I think you are talking about parking tickets, the law prescribing bailiffs fees for colecting unpaid parking tickets is Schedule 1 of the Enforcement of Road Traffic Debts (Certificated Bailiffs)(Amended 2003) Regulations 1993 and provides a £11.20 letter fee but curiously the legislation doesn't mandate bailiffs to actually send a letter, its just a provision to charge £11.20 if a letter is sent to the debtor before making a visit.

Council tax fee legislation doesnt have such a provision as far as I know.

Your earlier post indicated you are claiming JSA, this means you are classed a vulnerable persons for the purposes of civil enforcement. More: http://www.dca.gov.uk/enforcement/agents02.htm#part10

I know if I cal them they will tell me they are unable to give me the name of the bailiff that called and then that means I am entering into conversation re: the account, which I do not want to do at this stage. But definately want to report them. Is there any other way of doing this if I can't find his name out?

Yes, a regulation 46 complaint may be appropriate.

Appeals in connection with distress

46.—(1) A person aggrieved by the levy of, or an attempt to levy, a distress may appeal to a magistrates' court.

(2) The appeal shall be instituted by making complaint to a justice of the peace, and requesting the issue of a summons directed to the authority which levied or attempted to levy the distress to appear before the court to answer to the matter by which the person is aggrieved.

(3) If the court is satisfied that a levy was irregular, it may order the goods distrained to be discharged if they are in the possession of the authority; and it may by order award compensation in respect of any goods distrained and sold of an amount equal to the amount which, in the opinion of the court, would be awarded by way of special damages in respect of the goods if proceedings were brought in trespass or otherwise in connection with the irregularity under regulation 45(7).

(4) If the court is satisfied that an attempted levy was irregular, it may by order require the authority to desist from levying in the manner giving rise to the irregularity.

Guest Happy Contrails

I dont know a tested template letter for making a Regulation 46 complaint addressed to a magistrate for irregular levy by a council tax bailiff.

My concern is the magistrate may not consider the complaint because your post does not indicate any levy taking place.

Filing a claim against the authority in the county court is an option, make it very clear Newlyns refused to cooperate with you by concealing the name of the certificated bailiff in charge. Reclaim all unlawful bailiffs fees paid in the last 6 years. As you are on JSA you are entitled to EX160 court fee remission so its doesn't cost a dime.

I would just like to correct some responses.

In the first place you can indeed pay the council direct BUT the statutory regulations provide that bailiff fees MUST be deducted first. For instance if a debt is £200 and bailiffs fees are £100 and payment of £200 was paid to the council, this DOES NOT clear the Liability Order. This is because the council are obliged to RETURN £100 to the bailiff co to cover their fees. This means that there is a balance on the LIABILITY ORDER of £100 and bailiffs can....and will.....continue to enforce the debt. This is happening all of the time.

Form 4 Complaints are easy to complete but they are serious. The District Judge needs to consider whether the allegation against the bailiff is so serious as to warrant him removing the bailiffs certificate and thereby having the bailiff unemployed.

Our office have seen many Form 4 Complaints and it is the case that it is of little use saying that the bailiff has overcharged you unless you back this up with evidence. It is for this reason that you need to FIRST make a Subject Access Request for a full and detailed breakdown of the fees and charges.

Our office ALWAYS request a copy of the screen shot of the account and this MUST be presented on request. This will show the name of the bailiff and the exact time and date of any alledged visit.

If the bailiff company refuse to provide any documents, then you MUST contact the local authority who have full responsibility for the bailiff and the fees he charges. Bailiffs are merely agents of the local authority.

Thanks guys. But to make sure I am clear on this, I am going to call Newlyns today and ask for the name of the attending bailiff. Can I threaten them with section 46 Compliance if they refuse to give it to me? Do I tell them I am in the process of submitting a Form 4 or not? Thanks.

The levy has not yet taken place, but this is the registrtion on the levy Notice of Distress.