Rent Arrears - No word from ex-tenant

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5507 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was renting a house out with the tenant being in it since Sept 07. They were pretty much always in rent arrears to varying amounts and finally sent a formal letter of notice on 8th Dec 08 to leave by 31st Jan 09. We had had verbal discussions regarding them leaving and it was they who first said they couldn't carry on therefore it was a fairly ammicable eviction. The main purpose of the formal letter was to help them with any council negociations etc for getting a new house.

Council told them they should have 2 full calendar months to eviction so could take beyond 31st Jan if they wanted. That was by-the-by and I could have lived with that although I offered a number of (financial) sweeteners to meet the 31st Jan deadline.

In the end I got a phone call from them on the evening of 31st Jan saying they had moved out. This was the first I knew about it so it was a bit of a shock! Anyway, they said they would ring later that week once sorted in their new council house to discuss paying the (over £5,000) rent arrears off. Surprise surprise, after 6 weeks I heard nothing dispite leaving a number of messages on the only mobile phone number I have for them.

I have sent another formal letter by recorded delivery asking that they contact me urgently which was delivered last week. Anticipating getting no response from my further letter, what is my next course of action? Obvously I am not keen to run up further debts by having to pay solicitors and court costs which still might not get me any money at the end, but equally over £5,000 rent owed is too much for me to ignore as well.

Any advise please of how to proceed.

crem there is both on here give it a little time unfortunatly theres experts on here but not 24/7

in the mean time i would suggest that if you have there address not to pay a personal visit as it could easly get out of hand

someone should be along to confirm but i belave that if its about 5k your claiming it may be able to be done through small claims rather than county court - wait for someone to confirm because im not sure on the limits, im not legal trained myself mostly learning by reading other threads and whats been said

if you do plan to take them to court you probably need to send a letter before action first, send it recorded delivery as then you have electronic proof of signiture off royal mails website, dont send this unless you intend to carry it through

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I'm a tenant ;)

I'm with labrat, go in with a LBA, they've had ample time to get in touch and they're obviously treating what they owe you as top priority

Lucky them, getting a council property, i couldn't get one

Where are you based, just curious?

crem there is both on here give it a little time unfortunatly theres experts on here but not 24/7

Thanks for that labrat. Wasn't trying to be impatient but I spend most of my time in CAG in the Parking forum and threads tend to move rather quickly in there. :)

Rent due is actually just over £5,600 so might preclude me from going small claims route.

callumsgran, the property is in Wear Valley area, near Durham.

Edited by crem

Thanks for that labrat. Wasn't trying to be impatient but I spend most of my time in CAG in the Parking forum and threads tend to move rather quickly in there. :)

Rent due is actually just over £5,600 so might preclude me from going small claims route.

callumsgran, the property is in Wear Valley area, near Durham.

lol maybe i should move up there ;)

i do love geordie accents